Doing the 92

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Doing the 92

by RG30 » 31 Jan 2010 14:16

Did any posters ever see Reading play at Odsal after the Valley Parade stadium fire?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Jan 2010 14:48

Terminal Boardom Some impressive efforts there. To do the 92 following one club really takes some doing and a fair bit of luck / success / friendly bank manager :wink:

I finished mine off in 1991 with a turgid 0-0 between Carlisle and Stockport. Didn't join the NAA as I couldn't see the point. But mine obviously weren't all with Reading. At least I managed to stand on The Kop and The Shed.

Oh, and before you do your 92nd, contact the club you are going to well in advance and inform them that their club is your 92nd. You might get a freebie! Worked for me.

TB,
That Carlisle game-was it on a New Year's Eve and did Asa Harford play for Stockport that day?(not sure of the year).
If so I was there as well.
I remember buying a jumper from C&A because it was a bit cold-wife went shopping and we spent New Year in Keswick.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Jan 2010 15:04

Victor Meldrew
Terminal Boardom Some impressive efforts there. To do the 92 following one club really takes some doing and a fair bit of luck / success / friendly bank manager :wink:

I finished mine off in 1991 with a turgid 0-0 between Carlisle and Stockport. Didn't join the NAA as I couldn't see the point. But mine obviously weren't all with Reading. At least I managed to stand on The Kop and The Shed.

Oh, and before you do your 92nd, contact the club you are going to well in advance and inform them that their club is your 92nd. You might get a freebie! Worked for me.

TB,
That Carlisle game-was it on a New Year's Eve and did Asa Harford play for Stockport that day?(not sure of the year).
If so I was there as well.
I remember buying a jumper from C&A because it was a bit cold-wife went shopping and we spent New Year in Keswick.

Forget it TB-I have just found out that my Carlisle v Stockport was a 1-1 in 1988.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 31 Jan 2010 16:20

Grounds with Reading - 66:

Premier League: Emirates Stadium, Villa Park, St Andrews, Ewood Park, Reebok Stadium, Turf Moor, Stamford Bridge, Goodison Park, Craven Cottage, KC Stadium, Anfield, City of Manchester Stadium, Old Trafford, Fratton Park, Britannia Stadium, Stadium of Light, White Hart Lane, Upton Park, DW Stadium, Molineux (20).
Championship: Oakwell, Bloomfield Road, Ashton Gate, Ricoh Arena, Selhurst Park, Pride Park, Keepmoat Stadium, Portman Road, Walkers Stadium, Riverside Stadium, St James's Park, City Ground, London Road, Home Park, Deepdale, Loftus Road, Madejski Stadium, Bramall Lane, Hillsborough, Liberty Stadium, Vicarage Road, The Hawthorns (22).
League 1: Griffin Park, Withdean Stadium, The Valley, Priestfield Stadium, Elland Road, The New Den, Stadium:MK, Carrow Road, St Mary's Stadium, Roots Hall, County Ground, Adams Park (12).
League 2: Dean Court, Valley Parade, Whaddon Road, Saltergate, Gresty Road, Victoria Road, Sixfields Stadium, Meadow Lane (8)
Although not counted in the 92, Neutral: Wembley Stadium and the Millenium Stadium (2).

Grounds without Reading - 8:

League 1: St James' Park, Brisbane Road (2).
League 2: Northern Echo Darlington Arena, Edgar Street, Moss Rose, Vale Park, Spotland, Plainmoor (6).

Honorary mentions to the following former grounds, non-league grounds past and present, and overseas grounds - 16:

Premier League: Highbury, Victoria Ground (2).
Championship: Ninian Park, Highfield Road, Elm Park, Vetch Field (4).
Non-league (with and without Reading): The Lawn, Kenilworth Road, Manor Ground, Kassam Stadium, Nene Park, Broadhall Way, Woodside Park, Hayes Lane, York Road (9).
Overseas: de Kuip (1).

In short, I have done 74 of the 92, and 90 football grounds in total.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 31 Jan 2010 20:34

floyd__streete I know one legendary STAR Board member who has seen Reading play Bristol Rovers on 5 different grounds 8)

To be fair, I've done this as well, and to top it I've eaten Swedish meatballs in the Ikea restaurant built on the site of one of the venues.

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 31 Jan 2010 22:36

RG30 Did any posters ever see Reading play at Odsal after the Valley Parade stadium fire?

Yes, me for one. I remember it being one of the coldest days I ever spent watching football.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 31 Jan 2010 23:49

On the to do list of current grounds in the 92.

Hull
Doncaster
Scunthorpe
Cardiff
Colchester (bloody new grounds!)
MK Dons
Carlisle
Yeovil
Southend
Hartlepool
Exeter
Stockport
Rochdale
Rotherham (and selling grounds!)
Shrewsbury
Accrington
Morecambe
Burton
Macclesfield
Lincoln
Torquay
Hereford
Cheltenham
Darlington

So 68 then, although that will be 71 with the three Championship teams on the list upcoming.

As it stands it looks like i could be losing one in Grimsby although Oxford are flirting with the top and Luton are flirting with the play offs in the conference if i am to get one back. Next season i'll be losing Saltergate, Chesterfield as they have a new gound (as well as Southend and Morecambe i believe) and Brighton will be a year later.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 01 Feb 2010 01:17

To do:

Arsenal
Blackburn
Bolton (Reebok)
Chelsea
Everton
Hull
Liverpool
Man City (Eastlands)
Tottenham
West Ham
Barnsley
Cardiff (CC Stad)
Coventry (Ricoh)
Derby (Pride Park)
Doncaster
Leicester (Walkers)
Newcastle
Plymouth
Sheff Wed
Swansea (Liberty)
Carlisle
Colchester (Weston)
Exeter
Hartlepool
MK Dons
Southampton
Yeovil
Accrington
Aldershot
Burton
Dag & Red
Darlington
Hereford
Lincoln
Morecambe
Rochdale
Shrewsbury
Torquay

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 01 Feb 2010 06:35

bobbybottler
floyd__streete I know one legendary STAR Board member who has seen Reading play Bristol Rovers on 5 different grounds 8)

To be fair, I've done this as well, and to top it I've eaten Swedish meatballs in the Ikea restaurant built on the site of one of the venues.

Awesome meatballs!

I have only ever been to one ground: Cravens Cottage.

I watched Fulham play to a 1 all draw with Bolton. Fun times.

Skyline

by Skyline » 01 Feb 2010 07:27

Unsurprisingly, there's a website for this stuff: http://www.doingthe92.com/default.asp?step=1

It's not 'official' in any way, but does allow you to enter details of any games you've been to and tots up the grounds you've seen.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 01 Feb 2010 11:15

floyd__streete
From Despair To Where?
Royal With Cheese Dorchester has never had a league team and I can't think of a ground called Dorchester used by a league club.

Bournemouth used their ground for about half a season when Dean Court was being redeveloped about 8 or 10 years ago.

Yep, had forgotten about that - I'll count the Avenue Stadium, Dorchester too please. 1-0 loss on a Tuesday night which the 'locals' celebrated as if they'd won the FA Cup :roll: .

Well, learned something new today.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 01 Feb 2010 12:54

floyd__streete
From Despair To Where?
Royal With Cheese Dorchester has never had a league team and I can't think of a ground called Dorchester used by a league club.

Bournemouth used their ground for about half a season when Dean Court was being redeveloped about 8 or 10 years ago.

Yep, had forgotten about that - I'll count the Avenue Stadium, Dorchester too please. 1-0 loss on a Tuesday night which the 'locals' celebrated as if they'd won the FA Cup :roll: .

Cracking little ground too. That terrace made for a good atmosphere from the Royals, despite the defeat.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 01 Feb 2010 20:52

Of current clubs, I have done:

Aldershot
Arsenal (Highbury)
Aston Villa
Barnet
Barnsley
Birmingham
Blackpool
Bolton (Burnden Park)
Bournemouth
Brentford
Brighton (Goldstone Ground)
Bristol City
Bristol Rovers (Eastville & Twerton Park)
Burnley
Bury
Cardiff (Ninian Park)
Charlton
Chelsea
Cheltenham
Chesterfield
Colchester (Layer Road)
Crewe
Crystal Palace
Fulham
Gillingham
Grimsby
Huddersfield (Leeds Road)
Ipswich
Leeds
Leicester (Filbert Street)
Leyton Orient
Luton
Man City
Man Utd
Millwall (New Den)
Newcastle
Northampton (County Ground)
Norwich
Notts County
Oldham
Peterborough
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Port Vale
QPR
Sheff Utd
Southampton (Dell)
Southend
Stockport
Stoke (Victoria Ground)
Swindon
Tottenham
Tranmere
Walsall (Bescot)
Watford
WBA
Wolves
Wycombe

Others that were league at the time:

Chester (Deva & Moss Rose)
Newport County (Somerton Park)
Oxford (Manor)
York City
Wimbledon (Plough Lane)
Cambridge Utd

Non-league grounds seen Reading play cup games:

Hendon (Claremont Road)
Bridgwater Town
Hayes
Wealdstone (Lower Mead)
Slough

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 02 Feb 2010 17:40

eleventh earl of mar
RG30 Did any posters ever see Reading play at Odsal after the Valley Parade stadium fire?

Yes, me for one. I remember it being one of the coldest days I ever spent watching football.

Me for two. And there were no refreshments because the week before Leeds had visited and rolled the refreshment hut down the terrace. With the staff and boiling tea-urns inside, natch.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 02 Feb 2010 17:42

Ark, you may not have noticed out there in Kansas but Luton are no longer a League club. Remember the 0-5, I bet you do.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 02 Feb 2010 18:08

I’ve always though of people who do the 92 to be a bit odd and more train spotter like rather than football fan.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 02 Feb 2010 20:15

Yup - got dicked 3-0. Lucky to get 0. That was shortly before those lovely Leeds fans set light to a mobile chip van at the ground.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 02 Feb 2010 20:47

Fox Talbot Ark, you may not have noticed out there in Kansas but Luton are no longer a League club. Remember the 0-5, I bet you do.

Oops! Got my list from an old Rothman's and Luton were still a league club. It used to be easier when there were re-elections and non-league teams were admitted once in a blue moon! Must be really difficult to become and stay a member of the 92 club now.

Oh, and it is Wisconsin. Kansas is full of knuckle-dragging sister-shaggers and Christian fundamentalist f*ckwits.

And if it is the 5-0 in 1970, then, yes, I do remember. Malcolm Macdonald was the bane of our promotion challenge that season.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 02 Feb 2010 22:11

66/92

Only Hull/Cardiff/Scunny and Blackpool missing from the top 2 divisions. As things stand lose Grimsby but gain Oxford and Stevenage if they both come up

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 05 Feb 2010 11:52

Yes. 3-0 defeat and it was bloody freezing! I cant believe that Odsal held over 100,000.