Portsmouth Admin

753 posts
Ian Herring

Re: Portsmouth Admin

by Ian Herring » 26 Feb 2010 21:45

No sympathy. Just a shame it wasn't a more 'iconic' club to collapse first.

The Premiership. Or Premier League. Or whatever you want to call what was once Division One of the Football League.

Where's your 39th game now, Scudamore, you tosser?

F*ck off.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Feb 2010 21:48

Ian Herring No sympathy. Just a shame it wasn't a more 'iconic' club to collapse first.

The Premiership. Or Premier League. Or whatever you want to call what was once Division One of the Football League.

Where's your 39th game now, Scudamore, you tosser?

F*ck off.
yeah enter Rangers and Celtic lol

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 26 Feb 2010 21:59

From what I've heard up here from my Pompey cousins, is that it all actually stemmed from the year they went up 6 or 7 years ago, when Mandaric gambled everything on having a winning team after ITV Digital went tits up. Merson, Prosinecki, Sherwood, and even Brown-Paperbag Harry as DOF were big big earners which they borrowed the money for, and would pay back with the TV money from the Prem.
When they got to the prem, the place went mad. They still haven't paid for some of the work on the ground that they had to have back then. Not Transfer fees, but stupid stupid wages were the problem. I said it then, and I love it now!

Personally, I think the club is a sham. I despise their fans, despite being related to a fair few of them.

That is all!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 Feb 2010 22:55

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8538390.stm

Interview with John Westwood, comes across very well.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Feb 2010 23:01

very well indeed (he is after all an articulate local Pompey man who owns his own business)

At least he will suppport them in the local parks of Hampshire in the years to come

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 26 Feb 2010 23:30

AthleticoSpizz very well indeed (he is after all an articulate local Pompey man who owns his own business)

At least he will suppport them in the local parks of Hampshire in the years to come

with that hat though, it must be right pain in the arse to have a season ticket directly behind him.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 26 Feb 2010 23:59

seahawk10 2 - I keep seeing people posting that playing Pompey in the FA Cup would be like getting a bye. Now that they are in admin, does that mean they can no longer play in the tournament

the expectation is that they'll fold and go out of existence, so their oponents would have to get a bye through to the next round, one assumes.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Feb 2010 00:11

RG30 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8538390.stm

Interview with John Westwood, comes across very well.

"they've lost sight of what's important"

:|

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Feb 2010 04:29

They diidn't complain whe 90% of there turnover was being spent on wages any idiot could see what was going to happen. Will they start next season with a points deduction? Can't see how a side that was cut adrift at the bottom anyway is punished with a 9 point deduction just to confirm the inevatble.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 27 Feb 2010 04:36

Arch Whatever else you may say, it was how a club other than Portsmouth performed against Fulham that sent us down.

They played a weakend side that failed to manage one single shot on target against Fulham. Saving themseves for a cup final thay cheated to get to. And not to mention the humiliating 7-4 loss. I'm just gutted the club have not been wound up all together.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 27 Feb 2010 07:16

Sue the ********

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 27 Feb 2010 09:01

So Portsmouth are now allowed to offload a few high earners.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Feb 2010 09:20

royalexile So Portsmouth are now allowed to offload a few high earners.

Who is allowed to sign/play them?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Feb 2010 09:30

IMHO opinion it all went wrong when Mandaric and Gadamak turned out to be loaning them money rather than bankrolling them. They naively thought they had a blank chequebook.

I'm intrigued to see if the "leeds rule" will apply to them, ie start on -9 (or -10) next season if they finish bottom anyway.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 27 Feb 2010 09:40

That Friday Feeling

Who is allowed to sign/play them?

Who knows. I suppose it depends who they are, if there are sell on clauses, and other intricacies tied up in their contracts. This is all well and good fire fighting for the short term but the interesting period of activity will be in the summer when there is minimal income and still heavy outgoings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2 ... is_qa.html

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Feb 2010 10:07

If I read it right this morning, the plan is to sell them and loan them back instantly but then not play them?

At least two of the players mentioned James and Belhadj have World Cup aspirations - I assume they would be able to say no to being sold?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Feb 2010 10:24

Have to be stupid, or bent, to pay Pompey for players you could pick up foc after they've gone bust.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 27 Feb 2010 10:37

BobKnows Redknapp is definitely with Venables on the list of so-called "great" managers who just HAPPEN to be around when clubs go into meltdown. Crooks the both of them (allegedly :? )

Ive always though Arry should have taken Boycies part in OFAH,he got the look of a used car dodgy salesman.He tries to come over as a chirpy cockney chappie,everybodies friend,but hes just a spiv whose probable got a few fake rolex watches up his sleeve

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Feb 2010 11:10

PieEater IMHO opinion it all went wrong when Mandaric and Gadamak turned out to be loaning them money rather than bankrolling them. They naively thought they had a blank chequebook..

You have to wonder why the chief exec at the club didn't appear to realise that borrowing money they had no hope of paying back wasn't the most prudent thing to be doing. Maybe his salary of £25000 a week had something to do with it.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Feb 2010 12:29

I've said it in bits and bobs over various other threads but for what its worth and in one place.

Utterly no sympathy what so ever for the club. The likes of Peter Storrie who were claiming 7 figure salaries even when they knew it was going to end in tears. Yes he's being paid to do a tough job but if you really care about the club then you do it for an amount that you need to get by, if most people in the UK get by on 15-30k a year no reason he couldn't.

What makes my blood utterly boil is the fact that they were allowed to get away with it for so long (no that they are alone as many other clubs gamble) but the fact they still had the bollocks to sign Tommy Smith and take players away from other clubs who perhaps DID have the resources and had budgeted properly for them.

This was a long time coming and I hope to god it serves as a wakeup call to the PL and the footballing world at large that you can't live beyond your means. I'm sick to death of the argument of 'oh if we didn't pay XXXX a week then they would all go to Spain!!!' well if that's the case then so be it. Football existed for well over a hundred years being watched by massive crowds before the PL and it would survive another hundred after it. Yes it's nice seeing the very best talent grace your home town turf, but in my eyes and in my own experience, having happily gone to games in the third tier, and 'meaningless cup games' and even the odd reserve fixture, it's all about backing the 11 guys who put on the shirt, whether they are the quality of Keith Jones, or Ronaldo.

Sadly this affair won't change a thing, because until a so thought 'untouchable club' in other words a club competing in Europe, goes bust then nobody will take any notice :(

So in all, yes I feel a bit sorry for Pompy fans but then they enjoy the highs without demanding they reign back, and so now must suffer the lows. Whatever the case they'll always be a club in Portsmouth and the true football fans will always have a place to watch the game.

753 posts