The Surgeon of Crowthorne

Re: Ghana v Uruguay

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 02 Jul 2010 22:36

And he didn't deserve to score from that one either

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Jul 2010 22:36

Christ that was a cocky penalty. Very sad for Gyan because he has had a brilliant World Cup.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 02 Jul 2010 22:37

Yann Kermorgant take note. That's how to take a chipped penalty!

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 02 Jul 2010 22:38

U R GAY

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jul 2010 22:43

And there is football's European Grand Prix moment - where Hamilton overtook the safety car and took a punishment that favoured him as much as possible, Luis Suarez handles a goalbound header on the line preventing nothing other than a winning goal, and the resultant penalty to win the game is missed, Uruguay win the subsequent shoot out. Not angry, them's the rules, you cannot award a goal if it doesn't cross the line between the posts and below the crossbar. More frustrated that cheating South Americans have got away with it again.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 02 Jul 2010 22:44

How many games will Suarez be banned for? Argentina v Uruguay final??

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Jul 2010 22:44

Kitsondinho How many games will Suarez be banned for? Argentina v Uruguay final??

One. He can play in the final.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 02 Jul 2010 22:45

I think my dislike of Suarez has already been registered on this forum.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Jul 2010 22:51

South Americans are dirty cheats.

Maradona, Simone, Fabiano, Suarez... etc etc etc etc

Almost as bad as the Portuguese.

I'm GUTTED an African nation didn't get through :(

BUT

If it wasn't for Uruguay the world cup might've never started in 1930: they paid the air fare for all teams to get there and back for the first world cup in Uruguay.

And for this I will always respect them.

Thank yo Uruguay and good luck.

Commiserations to Ghana.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 02 Jul 2010 22:53

I feel like I've had my nuts removed from a vise

Now to find a way to live with crushed nuts

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 02 Jul 2010 22:56

Fair play to 10 man Uruguay, I just couldn't see where their statutory red was going to come from, but that kind of ingenuity speaks volumes for their determination to collect red cards.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Jul 2010 22:56

It's makes me think that for such an offence, where a blatant handball, as in someone making a goalkeeping type save, stops a certain goal, the ref should be able to award a penalty goal like a penalty try in rugby.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 02 Jul 2010 22:57

Gutted for Ghana. That'll be a match they won't forget. Thought it wouldn't be their day when the guy taking the last Uruguayan penalty wore the number 13 on his shirt.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Jul 2010 22:58

Rev Algenon Stickleback H It's makes me think that for such an offence, where a blatant handball, as in someone making a goalkeeping type save, stops a certain goal, the ref should be able to award a penalty goal like a penalty try in rugby.

Well if Suarez hadn't cheated Ghana would be in the semi-final. Cheats prosper. Very frustrating.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jul 2010 23:00

Rev Algenon Stickleback H It's makes me think that for such an offence, where a blatant handball, as in someone making a goalkeeping type save, stops a certain goal, the ref should be able to award a penalty goal like a penalty try in rugby.

I concur, or if the goal can't be awarded because it hasn't entered the goal, then a free uncontested and unsaveable shot should be awarded from where the original shot occurred from, with the offender also being red carded.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Jul 2010 23:07

handbags_harris

I concur, or if the goal can't be awarded because it hasn't entered the goal, then a free uncontested and unsaveable shot should be awarded from where the original shot occurred from, with the offender also being red carded.

............but it was a header that led to a pen so surely you would have to have an uncontested header. Can't see how you could do that really.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jul 2010 23:15

PEARCEY
handbags_harris

............but it was a header that led to a pen so surely you would have to have an uncontested header. Can't see how you could do that really.

No, not at all. If you're challenging for a header and you get fouled, it's still a free kick is it not? Merely a means to restart the game old boy...

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 03 Jul 2010 00:08

With zero time left in a WC quarter final, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. I'm not about to fulminate xenophobically against "cheating South Americans" - I think Uruguay have been good value for money this cup - but there's no doubt that the outcome was a grave injustice against Ghana. Baines, I can't wait for the "Ten Man Uruguay..." headlines when in terms of play they were ten men for literally the split second between the taking of the penalty and it coming off the bar.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Jul 2010 00:34

Bollocks to all this Unlucky Ghana shit. Yes they were a bit but anyone would have done the same in Suarez's position.

Uruguay have been great in this tournament. They deserve to go through for Forlan alone. I hope they beat the Dutch and Suarez gets a chance to play in the final. He didn't cheat he took a red card and the penalty for the team. Gyan should have scored, he didn't - that's not Suarez's fault.

Neither team deserved to lose. Now whether Uruguay can beat Holland without Suarez is anyone's guess...

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 03 Jul 2010 00:36

Archie's penalty Bollocks to all this Unlucky Ghana shit. Yes they were a bit but anyone would have done the same in Suarez's position.

Uruguay have been great in this tournament. They deserve to go through for Forlan alone. I hope they beat the Dutch and Suarez gets a chance to play in the final. He didn't cheat he took a red card and the penalty for the team. Gyan should have scored, he didn't - that's not Suarez's fault.

Neither team deserved to lose. Now whether Uruguay can beat Holland without Suarez is anyone's guess...

He saved a certain goal by handballing. How is that not cheating?

148 posts