LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8691 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - too good to go down, Shirley?

by Hoop Blah » 06 Jan 2011 13:29

In my fantasy football/Championship manager minds eye I could see O'Neil going to Liverpool, getting a bit of cash from the owners as 'their man', and bringing in Ashley Young, David Bently and Scott Parker.

A good English backbone to the side and adding a bit of flair and creativity at the same time.

They're weak at the back though. Johnson has fallen to pieces, both left backs are very average and Hodgson doesn't seem to like Agger (who for me is their best centre back if fit and in form).

Cental Midfield is ok'ish, but nowhere near as good as it used to be in recent years.

Out wide and upfront they're weak. If Torres was on form it would help but he looks a million miles away from the player he was when he first arrived.

They won't go down, but at this rate they won't get close to a European place which, even with their recent history of achievment, is a shocking.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 06 Jan 2011 13:48

BR2 BTW does anyone seriously believe that they will be relegated?

Prob not this season, but in the next few years its a definate possibility.

Leeds & Newcastle have and there are a host of massive clubs accross Europe that have suffered relegation at some point. No one every thought Man Utd would go down in the 70s, AC Milan in the 80s (twice), etc.

With the debts invloved these days, i really dont think there is a limit to how far clubs can fall.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 06 Jan 2011 16:00

BR2
I think that is quite likely.
Fergie has the quandary of whether to play the Gibsons and so on and risk defeat against the old enemy which their fans would hate or play his first team and tire them out ahead of what he would consider to be more important games to come.
Roy daren't risk the wrath of the fans further by leaving out Torres and Gerrard.
BTW does anyone seriously believe that they will be relegated?

Pretty much my thinking

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 06 Jan 2011 16:10

Can't help but feel sorry for Woy. To be honest, it shows the mentality of the Liverpool fans still living in the past. Fact is, they cannot compete financially with the Like of Manu, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Tottenham, yet the fans expect them to challenge for the title. Roy inherited a car crash of a squad, with the exception of a a few good players, and has not had time to do aything about it. The Liverpool job is fast becoming the Poisoned Chalice of the Premiership, I doubt there is anyone who could do much better with what he as to work and any decent manager in their right mind would have to think twice about taking the job on.

Scylla

by Scylla » 06 Jan 2011 21:43

Oi Oi Saveloy Can't help but feel sorry for Woy. To be honest, it shows the mentality of the Liverpool fans still living in the past. Fact is, they cannot compete financially with the Like of Manu, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Tottenham, yet the fans expect them to challenge for the title. Roy inherited a car crash of a squad, with the exception of a a few good players, and has not had time to do aything about it. The Liverpool job is fast becoming the Poisoned Chalice of the Premiership, I doubt there is anyone who could do much better with what he as to work and any decent manager in their right mind would have to think twice about taking the job on.

I expect that there is a 14 year old in Abuja who thinks that Liverpool should be challenging for the title but I've yet to meet anyone else who does.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Jan 2011 14:12

Oi Oi Saveloy Can't help but feel sorry for Woy. To be honest, it shows the mentality of the Liverpool fans still living in the past. Fact is, they cannot compete financially with the Like of Manu, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Tottenham, yet the fans expect them to challenge for the title.

Thus the need for their new stadium.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jan 2011 17:05

Maybe it'll take relegation for their idiot fans to wake up to the fact that they are living in the past. The have to build a new stadium that can house 65,000+ and it seems that the only way that can happen is if they share with Everton. Which most of them refuse to even countenance.

The first season after Moyes leaves (can't be long surely) could see them relegated. Jeez, I can't imagine anything funnier in football if both Liverpool and Everton got relegated in the same season.... (I can dream, can't I?)

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 07 Jan 2011 21:23

Royal Rother The first season after Moyes leaves (can't be long surely) could see them relegated. Jeez, I can't imagine anything funnier in football if both Liverpool and Everton got relegated in the same season.... (I can dream, can't I?)

Tranmere being promoted to the Prem the same season?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 08 Jan 2011 04:56

Liverpool reportedly lining up Owen Coyle

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Jan 2011 07:44

The whole year inn Liverpool reportedly lining up Owen Coyle

:? May as well line up Heston....

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 08 Jan 2011 11:27

The whole year inn Liverpool reportedly lining up Owen Coyle

We were discussing this in the office yesterday.

No disrespect to Coyle but is he the answer? I'm not sure he's signigicantly better than Hodgson and would have the ability to motivate players of the likes of Torres and Gerrard. Having a CV that is basically getting a team promoted to the premiership via the playoffs would be hardly inspiring.

Still, I suppose that's how far Liverpool have fallen in the English game when this appointment is a real possibility.

philM

by philM » 08 Jan 2011 11:37

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/hodgson-leaves-liverpool-fc

Liverpool FC confirmed today that manager Roy Hodgson has left the club by mutual consent.

Principal Owner John Henry commented: "We are grateful for Roy's efforts over the past six months, but both parties thought it in the best interests of the club that he stand down from his position as team manager. We wish him all the best for the future."

Roy Hodgson said: "Being asked to manage Liverpool Football Club was a great privilege. Any manager would be honoured to manage a club with such an incredible history, such embedded tradition and such an amazing set of fans. Liverpool is one of the great clubs in world football. I have, however, found the last few months some of the most challenging of my career. I am very sad not to have been able to put my stamp on the squad, to be given the time to bring new players into the club in this transfer window and to have been able to be part of the rebuilding process at Liverpool. The club has some great, world-class players, with whom it has been a pleasure to work and I wish the entire squad well for the rest of the season. I thank those with whom I have built up a close working relationship at the club for their loyalty and support during very testing times, and finally of course to the Liverpool fans, your passion and dedication to the club will see Liverpool at the top of the game once more."

Club legend Kenny Dalglish will assume control of team matters for Sunday's third round FA Cup tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Henry added: "We are delighted that Kenny Dalglish has agreed to step in and manage the team for Sunday's FA Cup tie at Old Trafford and for the remainder of the season.

"Kenny was not just a legendary footballer, he was the third of our three most successful managers - three giants. We are extraordinarily fortunate and grateful that he has decided to step in during the middle of this season."

Chairman Tom Werner said: "No one who cares for this great club has been happy with the way this season has unfolded and we have examined options and considered at length what is best for us going forward. Kenny will bring considerable experience to the position and provide management and leadership for the rest of the season."

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 08 Jan 2011 11:49

kenny has just released the following statement:(once babel fish has translated it we will post it on the club web site)....

Scylla

by Scylla » 08 Jan 2011 12:26

frimmers3 kenny has just released the following statement:(once babel fish has translated it we will post it on the club web site)....

Marina writes the statements.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 08 Jan 2011 13:03

Cheers for the memories Woy.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2011 14:29

This is the reason Liverpool are in the shit, not Roy Hodgson - their fans and owners should take a look at themselves:
http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jan 2011 14:31

:lol: Liverpool fans are becoming almost as deluded as the Geordies. Great that they've got their club legend back who hasn't managed in the Premier League for 13 years and helped mess up the biggest two horse race since time began in his last job. The only way it could be more hilarious is if they'd got Rafa Brent back.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jan 2011 14:34

sandman :lol: Liverpool fans are becoming almost as deluded as the Geordies. Great that they've got their club legend back who hasn't managed in the Premier League for 13 years and helped mess up the biggest two horse race since time began in his last job. The only way it could be more hilarious is if they'd got Rafa Brent back.

Do you mean Newcastle ?
If so, aren't you confusing KD with KK ?

"I'd luv it if we beat them" wouldn't sound the same with a Scottish accent

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2011 14:37

Franchise FC
sandman :lol: Liverpool fans are becoming almost as deluded as the Geordies. Great that they've got their club legend back who hasn't managed in the Premier League for 13 years and helped mess up the biggest two horse race since time began in his last job. The only way it could be more hilarious is if they'd got Rafa Brent back.

Do you mean Newcastle ?
If so, aren't you confusing KD with KK ?

"I'd luv it if we beat them" wouldn't sound the same with a Scottish accent

I think he's referring to the masterful job him and Barnes did up at Celtic.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jan 2011 14:40

Royalee I think he's referring to the masterful job him and Barnes did up at Celtic.

Correct last PL job Newcastle. Last job DoF later manager at Celtic finishing 21 points behind Rangers.
Last edited by sandman on 08 Jan 2011 14:47, edited 2 times in total.

8691 posts