Weekend Football

6102 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Sanguine » 02 Jan 2024 12:46

Ironically of your examples, yes Konate should have got a red card, and in fact Klopp admitted as such in his interview.

“Ibrahima, could have gone, yes,” the manager said.

"It could have happened obviously and then we took him off and from that moment we were solid and compact.”

In an interview with beIN SPORTS, Klopp added: “We took him off because of that, of course.

“I didn’t see it back, I saw it in the situation and I saw so many football games and saw yellow cards in moments like this.

“We got lucky probably.”

Managers backing their side isn't a new thing and also isn't restricted to the big clubs. Gary O'Neil has rightly highlighted some wonky calls against his Wolves team this season, but has also complained a few times with little grounds to.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2024 13:43

Winston Biscuit Only just noticed that Sheffield Wednesday, who iirc were miles adrift a few weeks back, have won 5 of the last 8 games under their new young German manager and are only 3 points away from getting out of the relegation zone now!

They are 4th in the 8 game form table :o

Absolutely horrendous red card decision went for them yesterday tbf

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Jan 2024 13:44

leon
Silver Fox Nath going nearly as mad as the Neviller did last night here. Both penalties were clear penalties, why would Jota dive when he had an open goal?

Nice one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get it?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Jan 2024 13:47

Silver Fox
leon
Silver Fox Nath going nearly as mad as the Neviller did last night here. Both penalties were clear penalties, why would Jota dive when he had an open goal?

Nice one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get it?

:shock: shit sorry SF. You were being serious. Apols.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2024 13:47

genome
Winston Biscuit Only just noticed that Sheffield Wednesday, who iirc were miles adrift a few weeks back, have won 5 of the last 8 games under their new young German manager and are only 3 points away from getting out of the relegation zone now!

Seen this online this morning and yes it does look like a really bad decision, except for when you see the incident from the ref's viewpoint.

https://twitter.com/refsupportuk/status/1741901107188625856

Just think the ref has to send him off if he sees that in real time, from that angle.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jan 2024 14:07

Hendo
genome

Seen this online this morning and yes it does look like a really bad decision, except for when you see the incident from the ref's viewpoint.

Just think the ref has to send him off if he sees that in real time, from that angle.

Yep agreed, he only got to see it once. I think VAR overturns it.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2024 14:15

NathStPaul
Hendo
genome

Yeah, agreed with that.

Well, you'd like to think VAR overturns it...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jan 2024 15:54

Hendo
NathStPaul
Hendo

Yeah, agreed with that.

Well, you'd like to think VAR overturns it...

Not sure. He was off the ground, two-footed with no control. I thought that was a red whether there was contact or not because of the danger.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2024 16:34

Newcastle could also have had a penalty in the build up to Liverpool's 3rd goal. Looked to be a lot more contact than Jota's dive, albeit the Newcastle player wasn't in control of the ball. Seen em given though.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jan 2024 06:14

Pepe the Horseman Newcastle could also have had a penalty in the build up to Liverpool's 3rd goal. Looked to be a lot more contact than Jota's dive, albeit the Newcastle player wasn't in control of the ball. Seen em given though.

What’s with the ‘in control of the ball’ nonsense ?
A foul is a foul whether the player concerned has the ball or not, otherwise why do late tackles get penalised as the person being tackled doesn’t have control of the ball ?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jan 2024 15:49

FIFPRO World XI shortlist. Which includes Ronaldo & Benzema who both play in a pub league and Courtois who has been out injured and hasn't played since May, and excludes Griezmann who is arguably the best player in La Liga (Alongside Bellingham) and Osimhen & Lautaro Martinez who are the best forwards in Serie A. You could easily argue Messi shouldn't be there either

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jan 2024 16:04

Winston Biscuit FIFPRO World XI shortlist. Which includes Ronaldo & Benzema who both play in a pub league and Courtois who has been out injured and hasn't played since May, and excludes Griezmann who is arguably the best player in La Liga (Alongside Bellingham) and Osimhen & Lautaro Martinez who are the best forwards in Serie A. You could easily argue Messi shouldn't be there either

How meaningful is the FIFPRO World XI shortlist to the sport? Does anyone give a xxxx?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jan 2024 16:56

Just read that Darwin Nunez has taken 12 penalties in his career and scored them all. Mac Allister 10 of 11. Szoboszlai 16 of 17. Which makes it even weirder that Klopp has persisted with Salah, who has now missed 4 of his last 9, as Liverpool's penalty taker. If they do get a penalty whilst Salah is on AFCON, wonder if he might lose them for good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 16:58

Winston Biscuit Like most, I have a huge hatred of diving/feigning injury, its just ruining the sport. A lot of my dislike is all the little decisions given frequently in the middle of the pitch. Almost nothing happens, player appeals to ref, foul give, play starts again quickly. I don't see the point?!

I would like the PL to bring in some kind of body language person to help educate the refs. Anyone who's legs collapse beneath them when they get the slightest hand flick into their head needs to be pulled up on it

This is a good idea.

The amount of times you see people say this or that is or isn't enough contact when they clearly have no understanding of biomechanics is pretty frequent...

See "he went down in instalments" - what, the way people who have been tripped fall over whilst trying to stay up?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Jan 2024 09:04

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit Like most, I have a huge hatred of diving/feigning injury, its just ruining the sport. A lot of my dislike is all the little decisions given frequently in the middle of the pitch. Almost nothing happens, player appeals to ref, foul give, play starts again quickly. I don't see the point?!

I would like the PL to bring in some kind of body language person to help educate the refs. Anyone who's legs collapse beneath them when they get the slightest hand flick into their head needs to be pulled up on it

This is a good idea.

The amount of times you see people say this or that is or isn't enough contact when they clearly have no understanding of biomechanics is pretty frequent...

See "he went down in instalments" - what, the way people who have been tripped fall over whilst trying to stay up?

Have said for years, if it at all looks like a dive, you shouldn't get the free kick.

But refs need better understanding for sure. They are being conned week after week. And it would also need pundits to call out dives too. Right now, they are saying - there was a touch, so it's a free kick

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Jan 2024 09:08

the chat around the game seems to focus so much on 'but is there contact?' which afair was never what fouls were about.

as an aside, I would like to see yellow cards introduced for players who dive/exaggerate things but have still been fouled. Feigning injury is feigning injury.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jan 2024 09:50

Winston Biscuit the chat around the game seems to focus so much on 'but is there contact?' which afair was never what fouls were about.

as an aside, I would like to see yellow cards introduced for players who dive/exaggerate things but have still been fouled. Feigning injury is feigning injury.

That's so massively subjective it's a real can of worms - even before VAR gets involved. What if a player legitimately injures themselves in a tackle but not from the contact (e.g. pulls a muscle etc)? The inevitable result of asking referees to make an instant judgement on whether a player is injured or not is a referee booking a player for feigning injury and then they're carried off of a stretcher and miss the next x matches from the injury that the referee decided didn't exist.

Would just make things so much harder for referees.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 04 Jan 2024 14:27

Dirk Gently
Winston Biscuit the chat around the game seems to focus so much on 'but is there contact?' which afair was never what fouls were about.

That's so massively subjective it's a real can of worms - even before VAR gets involved. What if a player legitimately injures themselves in a tackle but not from the contact (e.g. pulls a muscle etc)? The inevitable result of asking referees to make an instant judgement on whether a player is injured or not is a referee booking a player for feigning injury and then they're carried off of a stretcher and miss the next x matches from the injury that the referee decided didn't exist.

Would just make things so much harder for referees.

What about when they lightly get brushed on the face and throw themselves to the floor?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Jan 2024 14:31

the whole thing of legs collapsing beneath someone when they have contact made with them on their top half, sometimes even their face/head, drives me up the freakin wall

absolutely no ones legs instantly forget how to work just because someone lightly brushes against the back of their head

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jan 2024 14:37

with all the technology available now - yellow cards should be issued after the game once reviewed for clear diving incidents.

6102 posts