World Cup Play-Offs

522 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: World Cup Play-Offs

by Sarah Star » 23 Nov 2009 22:48

So what do you think they'll come up with after their extraordinary general meeting?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 375320.stm

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 30 Nov 2009 12:51

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 386207.stm

Fifa's Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland have requested a spot in the 2010 World Cup finals as an extra team after their play-off defeat.

I can't see them accommodating this either.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Nov 2009 12:55

Ireland aren't doing themselves any favours now...as for Blatter, I long for the day when he is removed from office.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 30 Nov 2009 13:31

Ireland are just embarrssing themselves now.

How many more teams should they let in? The Henry decision wasnt even the worst of the night. I dont see Russia clamouring for sympathy when they has a man sent off, despite a Slovenian player being the one who should have saw red.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 13:39

Blatter I will bring it to the attention of the Executive Committee

Ah, that standard response - used a similar response myself, many times. That really means "The rules say that when you raise a mater like this, I have to ask the appropraite body - but it's never gonna happen in a million years...."
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 30 Nov 2009 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 30 Nov 2009 14:52

That Friday Feeling http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8386207.stm

Fifa's Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland have requested a spot in the 2010 World Cup finals as an extra team after their play-off defeat.

I can't see them accommodating this either.

LOL

Considering even if Henry didn't handle the ball Ireland still had to get through 15 more minutes of extra time AND then penalties....

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 30 Nov 2009 15:56

How long does this go on for

Will we keep hearing till the summer how they were cheated out of a place?

Will we then keep hearing that they could have won the world cup if they hadn't been cheated out of their place (God help us if the french win the thing!!)

Its football, shit happens, decisions go the wrong way all the time, some directly affect the result, the rest indirectly affect the result.

Get over it

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 30 Nov 2009 16:18

GET OVER IT IRELOLAND!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 30 Nov 2009 16:29

EiROFLe

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Nov 2009 16:47

nous allons à la Coupe du Monde

nous rions seulement à l'irlandaise

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Nov 2009 17:00

France should be kicked out of the world cup.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 30 Nov 2009 17:29

Tony Le Mesmer Ireland are just embarrssing themselves now.

How many more teams should they let in? The Henry decision wasnt even the worst of the night. I dont see Russia clamouring for sympathy when they has a man sent off, despite a Slovenian player being the one who should have saw red.

lol@the most wrong post I've ever seen on HNA, that is some achievement, maybe you should go to the World Cup

why do the people complaing about Ireland complaining

a) care so much

b) not see the irony

......at least this whole debacle is exposing the jumped-up little englanders out there (with honorary exceptions to TBM and Kes who are genuinely lovely guys)
Last edited by Gus the teenage cow on 30 Nov 2009 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 30 Nov 2009 17:30

Gus the teenage cow

lol@the most wrong post I've ever seen on HNA, that is some achievement, maybe you should go to the World Cup

Any explanation why that's the most wrong post ever?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 30 Nov 2009 18:36

Gus the teenage cow

a) care so much

b) not see the irony

......at least this whole debacle is exposing the jumped-up little englanders out there (with honorary exceptions to TBM and Kes who are genuinely lovely guys)

so do you think that, if we lose to liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd round but a decision went against us, maybe an offside, or they got a goal kick that should have been a corner, then both us and Liverpool should be allowed through

the irish are making themselves look ridiculous, people were laughing at the press conference when blatter explained what had happened. They all thought he was joking

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 18:42

Clearly the words "precedent" and "floodgates" don't exist in Ireland.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Nov 2009 18:56

Gus the teenage cow lol@the most wrong post I've ever seen on HNA, that is some achievement, maybe you should go to the World Cup

a) care so much

b) not see the irony

This saga still ongoing? You're out, end of story. You are doing what the yanks did after 9/11, pissing away everyone's sympathy when you were wronged with your carry on after.

Like Roy Keane said, Boring, get over it, don't let the ball bounce in the 6 yard box. Poor defending.

OH and stop picking on people from cork.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 30 Nov 2009 19:12

I think it's about time the Irish FA accepted that what happened on the field of play will never change, and cannot be changed due to the following fundamental quote in the Laws of the Game (the laws that the Irish FA surely must accept if they are to be affiliated to UEFA and FIFA?):

FIFA Laws of the Game The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal has been scored, are final.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 30 Nov 2009 19:50

Maybe there should be a penalty shoot-out as that is what the game was heading too before THAT incident..

:roll: :wink:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 30 Nov 2009 20:47

Row Z Royal
Gus the teenage cow

Any explanation why that's the most wrong post ever?

The clueless prick doesnt have one.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Nov 2009 22:46

handbags_harris I think it's about time the Irish FA accepted that what happened on the field of play will never change, and cannot be changed due to the following fundamental quote in the Laws of the Game (the laws that the Irish FA surely must accept if they are to be affiliated to UEFA and FIFA?):

FIFA Laws of the Game The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play, including whether or not a goal has been scored, are final.

Yeah. But I still think that France should be thrown out for cheating, but Ireland shouldn't replace them. In fact, nobody to replace them.

Anyone remember Yugoslavia getting thrown out of the Euro 1992 championships cos they were at civil war and Denmark replaced them? I know it's a different situation, but a country getting thrown out of a major tournament has happened in the past, so why not?

522 posts