THE BETTING THREAD

7772 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: THE BETTING THREAD

by Top Flight » 20 Sep 2016 13:27

I just wrote out a long post and then accidentally hit the x button to close the browser. :evil: All that effort wasted.

Long story short. Betfair £342 to £350 after 3 bets placed last night including Reading U23s. Placed a whole bunch of bets on tonights televised games. Hoping for another good night like Sunday. Can't be ars*d to write more now.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 20 Sep 2016 14:35

paultheroyal First double of the night is...

Stade Brest
Clermont

BTTS WIN double - £5 pays £361

will check them odds in shop though before placing as far better than online last week.

Think there will be goals again but I am swerving laval and auxerre matches

In shop, same bet £550 payout. Clermont 11/1 compared to 15/2 online

double d

by double d » 20 Sep 2016 14:46

paultheroyal
paultheroyal First double of the night is...

Stade Brest
Clermont

BTTS WIN double - £5 pays £361

will check them odds in shop though before placing as far better than online last week.

Think there will be goals again but I am swerving laval and auxerre matches

In shop, same bet £550 payout. Clermont 11/1 compared to 15/2 online

JEEEEZ! Why the disparity? Shops should be updating their system at the same time as sites. I always do shops anyway. Went to Coral on lunch and wacked tenner on Northampton to win 8)

Hopefully it will pull off..... i have an annual F.A cup first round Friday night shock bet which has won the last 3 seasons :D..... never done an EFL one

double d

by double d » 20 Sep 2016 14:47

Top Flight I just wrote out a long post and then accidentally hit the x button to close the browser. :evil: All that effort wasted.

Long story short. Betfair £342 to £350 after 3 bets placed last night including Reading U23s. Placed a whole bunch of bets on tonights televised games. Hoping for another good night like Sunday. Can't be ars*d to write more now.

Take your winnings out and bank it before you skunk the lot please!!!! I don't want to say I told you so by the end of the season. Even if you lose your 200 original quid from now you will still have over 300 quid profit

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Sep 2016 15:40

Top Flight I just wrote out a long post and then accidentally hit the x button to close the browser. :evil: All that effort wasted.

Just do that with all your posts.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Sep 2016 10:38

double d

Take your winnings out and bank it before you skunk the lot please!!!! I don't want to say I told you so by the end of the season. Even if you lose your 200 original quid from now you will still have over 300 quid profit

I'm going to write another long post now but I'm going to be careful not to close the browser before I hit submit.

So on Monday I was on £342 and did the following bets:

Reading U23 v Chelsea U23 - Laid Chelsea at 1.67 for a £12 win of Reading win or draw. (Liability £8.04)
Benfica v Braga - Laid Benfica at 1.61 for a £16 win if Benfica lose. (Liability £9.76)
Alaves v Deportivo - Laid Alaves at 2.52 for a 6.57 win if Depor win or draw (Liability £9.99)

Reading U23 v Chelsea U23
I fancied Reading's Under 23s to do Chelsea over, but I allowed the bias Chelsea TV commentators to get in my head and I cashed out early to only take a £4 profit. The Pundits kept saying how dominant Chelsea were and how they should have killed the game off at half time and were guilty of missing so many chances. None of this was true. Chelsea probably did have more of the ball, but they certainly didn't have the best chances. Reading split Chelsea open on four occassions and created four wonderful, absolutely gilt edged chances. Harry Cardwell should have buried one in the first half and Josh Barrett was clean through in the second and really should have finished. Reading easily could have had four. Excellent finishes by Tyler Frost and Sam Smith won us the game. There was a spell in the 2nd half where Chelsea looked dangerous but unlike Reading they weren't clinical and with the scores at 1-1, I cashed out early and didn't take the full profit that was available. I started the Chelsea TV subscription before the game and cancelled it immediately after. Now I have to keep their sh*tty channel for the next 31 days. £7 for the channel for one month. I was hoping the winning bet would pay for that and it really should have done. Not listening to Chelsea people anymore. They talk sh*t.

Benfica v Braga
Outside of Benfica and Sporting Lisbon, Braga are the best of the rest in Portugal's Primeira Liga and have got off to a good start this season. I fancied them to get a result in this one so I laid Benfica off. Braga started the better and created three good chances but weren't able to convert. Then Benfica really started to get a foothold in the game and with the crowd behind them began to take Braga to task. As the tide was turning and Benfica began to impose themselves, I cashed out early for a 20p profit. There was only one way this game was going. It was the right move because moments later Benfica took the lead. Later in the second half with the score still at 1-0, it looked like Braga had rode out most of the storm and were still hanging in the game. I decided to dip back in and laid Benfica for a second time at 1.22 looking for a £13 win with just £2.86 of my money on the table. Braga were starting to get more of the ball and looked like they might be able to find a way back in to the game. It wasn't to be, Benfica hit them with a couple of knockout blows and it was game over. Bet lost.

Alaves v Deportivo
Alaves have just come up from the Segunda division and are a hard working, well organised team with a decent striker up front in Deyverson. Most of their games are likely to be tight affairs this season won by the odd goal. I think that makes them a good team where you either lay them or their opposition. This game just went no where. Neither side able to break the other down. Finished 0-0. Won just £6.57 on this game.

Small progress made on Monday but not much.

Last night was a bad day at the office on Betfair. My Betfair dropped from £350 down to £339. I got so many selections wrong, but by managing the risk, at least my account has not suffered too much. I went about my business in completely the wrong way and will have to learn the lessons. It's better not to bet than bet to lose. When I had so much success on Sunday evening on Betfair, it's because I selected teams who were too short and I genuinely thought there was a big chance they wouldn't win. Last night, I was a bit stupid. I selected teams just because they were short and I didn't have to risk too much of my betting account on them. But I didn't really think those teams wouldn't win. Here is what I did.

Lille V Toulouse - Laid Lille at 2.2 for an £8.33 win. Liability £10. Won £8.33
Wolfsburg v Dortmund - Laid Dortmund at 1.82 for a £12.20 win. Liability £10. Lost £10
Malaga v Eibar - Laid Malaga at 1.93 to win £10.75. Liability £10. Lost £10
Rangers v QOS - Laid Rangers at 1.34 to win £15. Liability £5.10. Lost £5.10
Leicester v Chelsea - Laid Chelsea at 1.97 to win £10.30. Liability £9.99. Won £10.30
AC Milan v Lazio - Laid Milan at 2.48 to win £6.76. Liability £10. Lost £10
Swindon v Bristol Rovers - Laid Rovers at 2.68 to win £5.95. Liability £10. Lost £10
Sevilla v Betis - Laid Betis at 7.00 to win £17. Liability £102. Won £17

Last night, I did things badly. Did I really think Wolfsburg would stop Dortmund? No, I didn't. Did I think that Queen of the South would get a result at Rangers? Not really. I did fancy Eibar to be fair. But I didn't know that they would be making 7 changes to their team. If they hadn't made so many changes they probably would have got the result. I certainly did fancy Leicester at home and I fancied Lazio a little bit because Milan have hardly set the world alight this season. It's very dissapointing to see such an empty San Siro for a Serie A game against a big club like Lazio. What is happening to Milan these days? The swine let me down again. Last time I get involved with the enemy. My poor decision making lead me to a risky recovery bet staking a large amount of my capital laying Betis in their Seville derby at Seville. It didn't recover all my losses, but it got me a reasonable amount back. Had the Seville bet gone wrong, I still would have had £200 in the account and would have been reasonably healthy. But it would have been a bit of a setback.

I'm going to be a bit more careful tonight.

Regarding the drawdown. Maybe I will follow some of that advice and draw down the £160 in the B365 account. That means I will have recovered alot of my original £200 stake and will be looking to turn £40 into the grand.
Sanguine is right when he says that if my objective is to make money then I shouldn't be on B365 at all. There is no value there. You win and you lose and it's hard to make progress. The prices don't allow progress in the long run. But, I'm confident that I can take Betfair to the grand by laying teams off. If you think about it, the Lay off is a great way to make money. The prices on the betfair exchange are not too dissimilar to the prices offered by Bet365 or other bookmakers. So by taking the bookmakers side of the bet, surely over the long run the odds are in your favour to make money. The prices are a little bit higher on the exchange but then you don't have the overheads that a bookmaker has and the staff to pay. So you can afford to lay a team at a slightly higher price than Coral would do... Isn't that right?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 21 Sep 2016 10:58

£20 win on Arsenal, Liverpool & Sevilla last night

#highroller

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Sep 2016 11:01

So by taking the bookmakers side of the bet, surely over the long run the odds are in your favour to make money.

So you don't know how BetFair works?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Sep 2016 11:12

Sanguine So by taking the bookmakers side of the bet, surely over the long run the odds are in your favour to make money.

Enlighten me!

double d

by double d » 21 Sep 2016 11:15

Top Flight
double d

I'm going to write another long post now but I'm going to be careful not to close the browser before I hit submit.

So on Monday I was on £342 and did the following bets:

Reading U23 v Chelsea U23 - Laid Chelsea at 1.67 for a £12 win of Reading win or draw. (Liability £8.04)
Benfica v Braga - Laid Benfica at 1.61 for a £16 win if Benfica lose. (Liability £9.76)
Alaves v Deportivo - Laid Alaves at 2.52 for a 6.57 win if Depor win or draw (Liability £9.99)

Reading U23 v Chelsea U23
I fancied Reading's Under 23s to do Chelsea over, but I allowed the bias Chelsea TV commentators to get in my head and I cashed out early to only take a £4 profit. The Pundits kept saying how dominant Chelsea were and how they should have killed the game off at half time and were guilty of missing so many chances. None of this was true. Chelsea probably did have more of the ball, but they certainly didn't have the best chances. Reading split Chelsea open on four occassions and created four wonderful, absolutely gilt edged chances. Harry Cardwell should have buried one in the first half and Josh Barrett was clean through in the second and really should have finished. Reading easily could have had four. Excellent finishes by Tyler Frost and Sam Smith won us the game. There was a spell in the 2nd half where Chelsea looked dangerous but unlike Reading they weren't clinical and with the scores at 1-1, I cashed out early and didn't take the full profit that was available. I started the Chelsea TV subscription before the game and cancelled it immediately after. Now I have to keep their sh*tty channel for the next 31 days. £7 for the channel for one month. I was hoping the winning bet would pay for that and it really should have done. Not listening to Chelsea people anymore. They talk sh*t.

Benfica v Braga
Outside of Benfica and Sporting Lisbon, Braga are the best of the rest in Portugal's Primeira Liga and have got off to a good start this season. I fancied them to get a result in this one so I laid Benfica off. Braga started the better and created three good chances but weren't able to convert. Then Benfica really started to get a foothold in the game and with the crowd behind them began to take Braga to task. As the tide was turning and Benfica began to impose themselves, I cashed out early for a 20p profit. There was only one way this game was going. It was the right move because moments later Benfica took the lead. Later in the second half with the score still at 1-0, it looked like Braga had rode out most of the storm and were still hanging in the game. I decided to dip back in and laid Benfica for a second time at 1.22 looking for a £13 win with just £2.86 of my money on the table. Braga were starting to get more of the ball and looked like they might be able to find a way back in to the game. It wasn't to be, Benfica hit them with a couple of knockout blows and it was game over. Bet lost.

Alaves v Deportivo
Alaves have just come up from the Segunda division and are a hard working, well organised team with a decent striker up front in Deyverson. Most of their games are likely to be tight affairs this season won by the odd goal. I think that makes them a good team where you either lay them or their opposition. This game just went no where. Neither side able to break the other down. Finished 0-0. Won just £6.57 on this game.

Small progress made on Monday but not much.

Last night was a bad day at the office on Betfair. My Betfair dropped from £350 down to £339. I got so many selections wrong, but by managing the risk, at least my account has not suffered too much. I went about my business in completely the wrong way and will have to learn the lessons. It's better not to bet than bet to lose. When I had so much success on Sunday evening on Betfair, it's because I selected teams who were too short and I genuinely thought there was a big chance they wouldn't win. Last night, I was a bit stupid. I selected teams just because they were short and I didn't have to risk too much of my betting account on them. But I didn't really think those teams wouldn't win. Here is what I did.

Lille V Toulouse - Laid Lille at 2.2 for an £8.33 win. Liability £10. Won £8.33
Wolfsburg v Dortmund - Laid Dortmund at 1.82 for a £12.20 win. Liability £10. Lost £10
Malaga v Eibar - Laid Malaga at 1.93 to win £10.75. Liability £10. Lost £10
Rangers v QOS - Laid Rangers at 1.34 to win £15. Liability £5.10. Lost £5.10
Leicester v Chelsea - Laid Chelsea at 1.97 to win £10.30. Liability £9.99. Won £10.30
AC Milan v Lazio - Laid Milan at 2.48 to win £6.76. Liability £10. Lost £10
Swindon v Bristol Rovers - Laid Rovers at 2.68 to win £5.95. Liability £10. Lost £10
Sevilla v Betis - Laid Betis at 7.00 to win £17. Liability £102. Won £17

Last night, I did things badly. Did I really think Wolfsburg would stop Dortmund? No, I didn't. Did I think that Queen of the South would get a result at Rangers? Not really. I did fancy Eibar to be fair. But I didn't know that they would be making 7 changes to their team. If they hadn't made so many changes they probably would have got the result. I certainly did fancy Leicester at home and I fancied Lazio a little bit because Milan have hardly set the world alight this season. It's very dissapointing to see such an empty San Siro for a Serie A game against a big club like Lazio. What is happening to Milan these days? The swine let me down again. Last time I get involved with the enemy. My poor decision making lead me to a risky recovery bet staking a large amount of my capital laying Betis in their Seville derby at Seville. It didn't recover all my losses, but it got me a reasonable amount back. Had the Seville bet gone wrong, I still would have had £200 in the account and would have been reasonably healthy. But it would have been a bit of a setback.

I'm going to be a bit more careful tonight.

Regarding the drawdown. Maybe I will follow some of that advice and draw down the £160 in the B365 account. That means I will have recovered alot of my original £200 stake and will be looking to turn £40 into the grand.
Sanguine is right when he says that if my objective is to make money then I shouldn't be on B365 at all. There is no value there. You win and you lose and it's hard to make progress. The prices don't allow progress in the long run. But, I'm confident that I can take Betfair to the grand by laying teams off. If you think about it, the Lay off is a great way to make money. The prices on the betfair exchange are not too dissimilar to the prices offered by Bet365 or other bookmakers. So by taking the bookmakers side of the bet, surely over the long run the odds are in your favour to make money. The prices are a little bit higher on the exchange but then you don't have the overheads that a bookmaker has and the staff to pay. So you can afford to lay a team at a slightly higher price than Coral would do... Isn't that right?

How much did you bet on Saville game? Why are you chasing losses? Everybody knows that is addiction.

Also lol at you for actually buying Chelsea TV for under 23 games and betting purposes.

My bet is 10 on Northampton tonight at 11/1.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Sep 2016 11:23

It wasn't just for betting purposes. I was also very interested to watch our Under 23's. I was curious to see how good they are and if any look ready for the first team. Josh Barrett probably looks the closest. Sam Smith finished his goal very well but I didn't see enough of him to really know how ready he is. I thought he was on loan in National League South. Do our NLS loanees come back and play for the Under 23s as well? Or has his loan already ended?

I guess the teams in NLS are part timers and don't train very often. Maybe Smith trains with us and then plays for Bishop Stortford on the Saturday. If we have an U23 game he plays in that as well. Is that how it works with some of our loanees in NLS?

double d

by double d » 21 Sep 2016 11:27

Top Flight It wasn't just for betting purposes. I was also very interested to watch our Under 23's. I was curious to see how good they are and if any look ready for the first team. Josh Barrett probably looks the closest. Sam Smith finished his goal very well but I didn't see enough of him to really know how ready he is. I thought he was on loan in National League South. Do our NLS loanees come back and play for the Under 23s as well? Or has his loan already ended?

I guess the teams in NLS are part timers and don't train very often. Maybe Smith trains with us and then plays for Bishop Stortford on the Saturday. If we have an U23 game he plays in that as well. Is that how it works with some of our loanees in NLS?

That's one for the non league thread. Anyway..... how much he did you stake in Seville? It must be a silly amount of money on a silly bet? If you would have lost it then that would not have been good.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Sep 2016 11:28

Top Flight
Sanguine So by taking the bookmakers side of the bet, surely over the long run the odds are in your favour to make money.

Enlighten me!

a) the suggestion that you are more likely to win if you take 'the bookmakers side of the bet' has so many logic problems I don't know where to start, but essentially
b) there are no bookmakers on BetFair. you are not 'being a bookie', BetFair is an exchange. You can only make a lay bet if someone is willing to back it at that price.

You are mathematically more likely to win a bet where 2 of the 3 outcomes are in your favour. That doesn't make it 'good betting' or a 'better approach'.

And each to their own and all that, but re-read that post you just made and consider how much time you are putting into this, and how much football you are watching to feed your obsession. Did cross my mind earlier that you might be unemployed.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Sep 2016 11:40

Sanguine
Top Flight

Enlighten me!

a) the suggestion that you are more likely to win if you take 'the bookmakers side of the bet' has so many logic problems I don't know where to start, but essentially
b) there are no bookmakers on BetFair. you are not 'being a bookie', BetFair is an exchange. You can only make a lay bet if someone is willing to back it at that price.

You are mathematically more likely to win a bet where 2 of the 3 outcomes are in your favour. That doesn't make it 'good betting' or a 'better approach'.

And each to their own and all that, but re-read that post you just made and consider how much time you are putting into this, and how much football you are watching to feed your obsession. Did cross my mind earlier that you might be unemployed.

Sanguine, it is just a challenge. I want to see if I can turn my original stake into a grand over the course of the football season. That is all. I think I can. Certainly on Betfair anyway. On B365, I actually don't think I can do it without taking big risks and being very lucky. But on Betfair, I do think I can get there following a system and practising good money management.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Sep 2016 11:42

Good for you.

double d

by double d » 21 Sep 2016 11:44

TF How much was your big bet?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Sep 2016 11:49

double d TF How much was your big bet?

errrr...... £102 :oops: :oops: :oops:

But, I was extremely confident that Seville would not lose at home in their big derby.

Ok, I'm gonna withdraw my £160 on B365 and just play with £40 of my original stake. I will take out the £40 from Betfair once Betfair reaches £540. If Betfair reaches £540. If it doesn't then I will only have lost £40. Which isn't too bad.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 21 Sep 2016 12:15

Top Flight it is just a challenge. I want to see if I can turn my original stake into a grand over the course of the football season. That is all. I think I can.

I pretty much guarantee that you report back that your challenge was successful too, mainly due to all the after the event wins you will be telling us about even though you lose on nearly all the bets you write up on here before the event

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Sep 2016 13:11

Winston Smith
Top Flight it is just a challenge. I want to see if I can turn my original stake into a grand over the course of the football season. That is all. I think I can.

I pretty much guarantee that you report back that your challenge was successful too, mainly due to all the after the event wins you will be telling us about even though you lose on nearly all the bets you write up on here before the event

If you don't believe me, I don't really care. I have posted up all my bets on betfair that I was telling you about and they are all true. I'm only doing a challenge. If you don't want to know about it then I won't post about it anymore.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Sep 2016 13:22

:D
Last edited by Top Flight on 21 Sep 2016 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

7772 posts