The Gylfi thread.

2243 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: SPECULATION - Gylfi on sale for £6m

by winchester_royal » 25 May 2012 11:02

sandman
winchester_royal
andrew1957 Looking more and more like this is true. Really odd that no bigger club has come in for him and LOL at our ambition if the massive club that is Swansea can pay three times our record fee.

http://www.swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=283060

LOL at a Club who have just finished 11th in the Premier League being able to pay more than a team that's just come up from the 2nd tier? :|

Why do some of our fans suddenly think we're one of the elite?

:| Most people have said that if a top six club came in for him they could understand. What makes you think Swansea are part of the so called "elite"? If I were you I'd give up because you are having a 'mare on this thread.

I never said Swansea were part of the elite. :|

I'm asking why we seem to think that we match a team that came 11th in the league this season, when we are favourites for relegation next season?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 May 2012 12:20

andrew1957 Looking more and more like this is true. Really odd that no bigger club has come in for him and LOL at our ambition if the massive club that is Swansea can pay three times our record fee.

Like I said, it's not just the fee though, it's the wages and if he's asking for £35k a week, I can understand why that's put us off - as much as I wanted him to come back. :cry:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 25 May 2012 12:23

winchester_royal
Extended-Phenotype
winchester_royal
I'm saying I think Gylfi needs a certain type of player in midfield to play with him. Surely you can see the difference between Britton/Allen and Ledge/Karacan…

I do see the difference between Britton/Allen and Ledge/Karacan, and have already stated Swansea’s midfield is better suited for Gylfi. But you are arguing against my point that Reading can accommodate him, and that Tabb/Howard are not significant to Gylfi’s previous success with us. My point is that Gylfi would perform even better than before, because he would now be able to play in a midfield with two genuine, in form, holding midfielders.

It is significant because the amount of time Gylfi would get on the ball completely depends on the type of players who are in the middle with him.

Playing with players good at playing intricate little passes that find Gylfi = More time, more space, more goals.

Playing with players good at running around and playing simple pass to the wings = Less time, less space, less goals.

Barca get the best out of Messi because they have players like Xavi and Iniesta in the team to find him. Would Messi be as good playing with holding players like Makelele and Gattuso? I doubt it.

Would love to Gylfi back, but only think he would be successful if we brought in other players who would get the best out of him. That would cost more money than we can afford atm, so I am out.

Obviously we're as stubborn as each other so I think it's best to end this debate with the appropriate amount of animosity and contempt.

You are ending the debate by comparing Tabb and Howard to Xavi and Iniesta? Can't say I agree, but I admire your audacity.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 25 May 2012 12:26

:facepalm:

No, and for the record nor am I comparing Ledge and Karacan to Makelele and Gattuso.

I am saying that Gylf needs to be in a midfield with players who play in the same sort of way as Xavi/Iniesta/Britton/Allen, rather than in a midfield who play in the same way as Makelele/Gattuso/Karacan/Leigertwood. And yes, I think Howard and Tabb were slightly leaning towards the first group, although obviously not slightly close to that kind of quality.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 May 2012 12:29

Royal Lady

Like I said, it's not just the fee though, it's the wages and if he's asking for £35k a week, I can understand why that's put us off - as much as I wanted him to come back. :cry:

Fair point - although surely he would accept say 20K from us on the basis that his Dad is Brian's fishing buddy?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 May 2012 12:36

winchester_royal
sandman :| Most people have said that if a top six club came in for him they could understand. What makes you think Swansea are part of the so called "elite"? If I were you I'd give up because you are having a 'mare on this thread.

I'm asking why we seem to think that we match a team that came 11th in the league this season, when we are favourites for relegation next season?

We more than match them, they've got one season, we've got a flammin' track record. This will be our third season ever as a PL club, we've won the Championship twice in the last decade, we own our own training ground and we will soon have a new owner in place.

We are easily as attractive a proposition for players than Swansea if not more so. They may have had a good season last year but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be more than able to compete with them to sign players.
Last edited by sandman on 25 May 2012 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 25 May 2012 12:38

Just because Swansea have agreed a fee it doesn't mean another team can't/won't.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 25 May 2012 12:43

Super Kevin Bremner! Just because Swansea have agreed a fee it doesn't mean another team can't/won't.

But he wants to go there, and that's the key.

Anyone here thinking Reading didn't enquire about him couldn't further from the truth. The player keeps in contact with McDermott and many others at the club. They will have known well in advance what Gylfi wanted and where he wanted to be. 35k a week would probably be too much for us at this stage in any case, but he loves it at Swansea and he'll continue to do well there. They will be a stringboard for him to go onto much better things in 18-24 months.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 25 May 2012 12:51

winchester_royal :facepalm:

No, and for the record nor am I comparing Ledge and Karacan to Makelele and Gattuso.

I am saying that Gylf needs to be in a midfield with players who play in the same sort of way as Xavi/Iniesta/Britton/Allen, rather than in a midfield who play in the same way as Makelele/Gattuso/Karacan/Leigertwood. And yes, I think Howard and Tabb were slightly leaning towards the first group, although obviously not slightly close to that kind of quality.

Well, you think about football a little too much like a computer game.

Players can adapt, players can play in a different way, and that goes for Jem, Legs and Gylfi. But even that’s a scenario which involves Jem and Legs NEEDING to, which they don’t.

Legs and Jem are twice the midfielders Howard and Tabb are, hence why they are no longer anywhere near our starting lineup. Why would McD go to lengths to bring in Legs if he had such midfield dynamos at his disposal in the first place?

Answer: he didn’t.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 25 May 2012 13:00

Extended-Phenotype
winchester_royal :facepalm:

Well, you think about football a little too much like a computer game.

Players can adapt, players can play in a different way, and that goes for Jem, Legs and Gylfi. But even that’s a scenario which involves Jem and Legs NEEDING to, which they don’t.

Legs and Jem are twice the midfielders Howard and Tabb are, hence why they are no longer anywhere near our starting lineup. Why would McD go to lengths to bring in Legs if he had such midfield dynamos at his disposal in the first place?

Answer: he didn’t.

Not all players can adapt, and certainly Mikele will never become a passing midfielder.

Once again, I never claimed that howard and tabb are better, or at the same level, just that they suited gylfi more. Like every area on the pitch, a midfield is all about combinations rather than just individuals. McD have Jem available during that season, but used tabb and howard. He also brought in Mikele after Gylfi left because we had gone back to a 4 man midfield.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 25 May 2012 13:07

sandman
winchester_royal
sandman :| Most people have said that if a top six club came in for him they could understand. What makes you think Swansea are part of the so called "elite"? If I were you I'd give up because you are having a 'mare on this thread.

We more than match them, they've got one season, we've got a flammin' track record. This will be our third season ever as a PL club, we've won the Championship twice in the last decade, we own our own training ground and we will soon have a new owner in place.

We are easily as attractive a proposition for players than Swansea if not more so. They may have had a good season last year but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be more than able to compete with them to sign players.

Track record? We got relegated in one of those two seasons. :lol:

I don't disagree that we're an attractive proposition for players, however I do disagree with the idea that we should LOL at our ambition because a 'team like Swansea' is about to triple our transfer record.

a) That record was set 5 years ago, finances in football have increased in that period, and we will no doubt smash it at some point this summer.
b) It's disrespectful to a team like Swansea. Everyone had a good whinge when West Ham fans were mouthing off about how they are bigger than 'teams like Reading', so lets not do the same thing. They had an excellent season, got the best out of Gylfi, and their finances will be in a better place than ours having been in the big league for a year longer.

No LOL's necessary.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 25 May 2012 13:15

Ok. This is getting circular.

You think there is a vast difference to which T/H suit Gylfi more, but you haven't really given any support to this argument which would convince me that the age-old tried and tested formula 2DM/1AM is a sham, that Legs or Jem do not have it in them to follow any other instruction in a tactical change, or that Tabb and Howard are somehow better passers.

Moving on, and rather pertinent, will 4-4-2 even be our formation next season anyway?

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 25 May 2012 13:20

I dont know what the finances are like when it comes to wages, but should a players wages make up the amount available to spend on that area next season, I'd rather 5 or 6 unproven players like Rodriguez, Rhodes etc. who could come good in October. Remember next season is a marathon. I think we could be in for a hard slog at the start (thats why I want to get Man City, Man United, Chelsea etc. done early doors, so we can have a mid season run of the Southampton's West Ham's Norwich's which may not be as exciting, but is where we need to pick up the points)

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 25 May 2012 17:37

Should be noted they got £46m * in TV income last year - we probably took about £1m.
This was thanks to Sig's goals getting them high up the table. They would have budgeted for relegation, £39m of income, so you can argue for them hes already paid back this fee.

*Source: http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swans ... story.html

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 26 May 2012 08:48

Dare to Dr£am
Super Kevin Bremner! Just because Swansea have agreed a fee it doesn't mean another team can't/won't.

But he wants to go there, and that's the key.

Anyone here thinking Reading didn't enquire about him couldn't further from the truth. The player keeps in contact with McDermott and many others at the club. They will have known well in advance what Gylfi wanted and where he wanted to be. 35k a week would probably be too much for us at this stage in any case, but he loves it at Swansea and he'll continue to do well there. They will be a stringboard for him to go onto much better things in 18-24 months.

If it ever comes out that Gylfi indicated that he'd rather stay at Swansea than come back to Reading then he can go fuck himself. Ungrateful little shit. :wink:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 May 2012 10:43

'greed. We should boo the little mercenary tw@t out of the Stad de Mad if that's the case.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 May 2012 12:17

Z175 Should be noted they got £46m * in TV income last year - we probably took about £1m.
This was thanks to Sig's goals getting them high up the table. They would have budgeted for relegation, £39m of income, so you can argue for them hes already paid back this fee.

Clubs get an extra 45 Million from TV and the Prem

Get bigger gates at inflated prices. RFC 7,500 more spectators at, say £30 x 19, 4.275 Million

and the other 16.5 K at say an extra tenner, about 3Million

Another mill or two in merchandising and corporate entertainment?

54 Million and change. How precisely to they then manage to lose money?

Obviously wages go up but it's only the INCREASE that's a debit.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 26 May 2012 12:51

Snowball
Z175 Should be noted they got £46m * in TV income last year - we probably took about £1m.

Get bigger gates at inflated prices. RFC 7,500 more spectators at, say £30 x 19, 4.275 Million

Where's the money going? :wink:

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 26 May 2012 14:17

Snowball

It's not as clear as that, more gate receipts means more staffing (Ticket sales, stewarding, customer correspondence, concessions sellers etc.) which will skim off your theoretical 4.275 million (and that's a pre-tax price too).

Being in the prem will incur a lot more marketing & pr costs as it's not free to set up press equipment, facilities, hospitality etc.

Player wage increases shouldn't be sniffed at either. A % increase in wages will also show an increase in NI, Holiday Accrual, any pension contributions etc.

Yes there's more money, but the numbers we fans hear are hugely inflated.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 May 2012 14:54

Don't forget things like Prozone as well... isn't that about £1m a year? Which means extra analysts... then there's the extra coaches... Probably increased policing costs...

And of course, you don't get the money upfront as far as I'm aware. I think some gets paid throughout the season and you get a lump sum at the end as well. Although I may well be wrong on that.

And it's not just about the one year. Didn't we see our wage costs double on promotion last time, with them only reducing by about 40% on relegation?

£39m down to ... is it £12m for the first parachute payment now? Or £16m? That's a big drop that you have to plan for being a possibility.

2243 posts