LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8685 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Apr 2016 12:55

Sanguine He claims he isn't on a wind-up, which just makes his comments on Hillsborough pretty vile - given his age, late 30s I think, he'd have been well aware of Hillsborough at the time it happened, and in his early teens through the initial fall out. He gets it, don't doubt that.

I'm agreeing with you on Hillsborough. Read over page.

So please get over yourself.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 29 Apr 2016 13:16

No Fixed Abode
BR2
BTW a spot-on posting from Mr Angry earlier when he explained what it was like for most fans back in the 70s & 80s-it might help retro and kes to have a better understanding of how things were expressed by somebody who was around at the time rather than by what they have read in history books or seen on children's TV.

I suspect you never went to Elm Park but as a kid, for some games - I was pretty pleased that perimeter fencing was there at the away end. Stoke City, Cardiff, Swansea to name but a few caused all sorts of trouble. Whilst it was the minority in most cases that caused the trouble you can see why it was there. Like I say - football still has an issue of people acting in a way they wouldn't normally do in other situations. Like getting angry and sticking your figures up/gesticulating/name calling/illicit chanting to the opposite fans from the safety of a football stand doesn't make this behaviour ok. Then when they leave the ground they wouldn't say boo to a goose. But it's ok - it's what football fans do eh! It's all part of the 'fun'.

With advancement in CCTV and ground security there is no need for fencing now as most trouble is organised away from the ground.

"I suspect you never went to Elm Park"-now that is funny.
It does sound as though you were a bit of a weedy kid not only from this posting but others where you go on about naughty drunken people behaving badly at football.
I suppose opposites attract in that you are the weedy one whereas retro is the resident 'ard man on this board (or so he says).
I suspect that you are both a bit on the short side with enormous chips on your shoulders and need counselling whenever a disaster occurs whereas those of us who lived through the 70s & 80s ,and amazingly survived, also learned to toughen up.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Apr 2016 13:23

Making excuses for appalling behaviour. You must a real lad.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 29 Apr 2016 13:40

As with many things in life, our different positions and experiences of the same things can give us different outlooks.

If you make a choice to be a football supporter from the outside looking in, to not attend games, to get your football fix through Jeff Stelling and Mark Lawrenson then it is likely you will have a different viewpoint to football fans who actually attend games regularly, stand/sit in the stands shouting for their teams, travel by train and coach up and down the country, and essentially have a more informed opinion of things.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 29 Apr 2016 13:54

No Fixed Abode Making excuses for appalling behaviour. You must a real lad.

hang on, you used to masturb8 on here about football violence.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Apr 2016 14:02

Winston Smith As with many things in life, our different positions and experiences of the same things can give us different outlooks.

If you make a choice to be a football supporter from the outside looking in, to not attend games, to get your football fix through Jeff Stelling and Mark Lawrenson then it is likely you will have a different viewpoint to football fans who actually attend games regularly, stand/sit in the stands shouting for their teams, travel by train and coach up and down the country, and essentially have a more informed opinion of things.

Agreed. As a kid when you walk up to Elm Park via the Oxford Road from town and you witness about 100 Swansea fans on the rampage down the Oxford Road it does kinda stick in your memory. Or at Stamford Bridge when away fans got in the home end and it all kicked off You can see why grounds had fences back in those days when CCTV and intelligence wasn't so good.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 29 Apr 2016 14:25

Ian Royal
tmesis
Ian Royal Yeah. Didn't the inquest specifically conclude that there was no (excessive?) pushing or rushing?

It's just a natural consequence that when you have a large volume of people moving through a bottleneck (almost not matter how responsibly), it causes a crush unless the flow in is effectively managed.

The crowd would only have been a significant cause of the disaster if they'd acted in an unexpected way, or did something unusual which changed the dynamics of how the crowd reacted.

That's why it was said it wasn't their fault, even though their sheer weight of numbers, and their decision to mainly go for the central pens, were obviously causes of what happened.

Most didn't have much of a choice in going for the central pens. The tunnel fed immediately into them, whilst it took a sharp turn to either side in limited space to get round to the outer pens.

That's what I was trying to get at. The police opened the gate in a panicked response to the volume of fans, doing that without ensuring the fans were going to the outer pens killed them. From reading the reports/evidence, the police, well, the guy in charge before Duckinfield, had a code word for it as it had been done so often.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Apr 2016 14:38

No Fixed Abode
Winston Smith As with many things in life, our different positions and experiences of the same things can give us different outlooks.

Agreed. As a kid when you walk up to Elm Park via the Oxford Road from town and you witness about 100 Swansea fans on the rampage down the Oxford Road it does kinda stick in your memory. Or at Stamford Bridge when away fans got in the home end and it all kicked off You can see why grounds had fences back in those days when CCTV and intelligence wasn't so good.

Intelligence still seems pretty light tbf tbh

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Apr 2016 14:49

Mr Angry I'm not a Liverpool fan, but the Hillsborough verdicts are a victory for all of us who were football fans during those years, years of being treated like animals by the Police, herded into pens and viewed at as at best, an easy way to get overtime and at worst as criminals.

Hillsborough was the inevitable and tragic consequence of all of that crap, and for the Police, a Tory MP, Thatcher, and the Murdoch press to lie, and cover up, and besmirch the dead to try and deflect away from their own responsibility and for their own - ironically - criminal acts, has been a disgusting and shameful episode that has rightly been corrected after 27 long and painful Years for all the families of the victims.

All football fans, regardless of club allegiance, should stand shoulder to shoulder with those of Liverpool FC over Hillsborough because do you know what? that could have been the supporters and their families of pretty well ANY club - even Chelsea.

Spot on.

I would imagine most supporters from that era, especially those who travelled away, will have their own "there but for the grace of God" tale about overcrowding, mismanagement and appalling treatment at the hands of the authorities and It;s a sad fact that it took the deaths of 96 people for things to change.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Apr 2016 15:50

But the point is these things work both ways. The authorities didn't do the same with rugby and do you know why? Because fans are well behaved.

Football had a bad reputation for trouble back then and with good reason. Even today football fans do provocative things to each other from the safety of their own stand even if you're not a hands on hooligan. It's a culture that's accepted in football. But that doesn't make that culture right.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Apr 2016 16:28

So that makes the culture of unlawful mismanagement, complacency and negligence by the police and the clubs OK because there was an unspecified and unmeasurable potential for trouble? That goes against one of the founding principles of our legal system, the assumption of innocence until proven guilty.

There were problems at Hillsborough in 1981, and again in 1987 and 1988 but they got away with it then and lessons were not learned. Travelling away was shit in the 80's. Not only were you given the shittest parts of the ground which often were not fit for purpose, you were automatically treated like a criminal yet, outside a small handful of clubs, which everyone knew about, there was next to no trouble to justify such treatment.

Anyway, why are we even discussing hooliganism in the context of Hillsborough when the inquest categorically established that it was not a factor. Oh, yeah, because Kes is peddling his own witless agenda.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 29 Apr 2016 17:38

Just put him on your ignore list.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Apr 2016 19:58

No Fixed Abode But the point is these things work both ways. The authorities didn't do the same with rugby and do you know why? Because fans are well behaved.

Football had a bad reputation for trouble back then and with good reason. Even today football fans do provocative things to each other from the safety of their own stand even if you're not a hands on hooligan. It's a culture that's accepted in football. But that doesn't make that culture right.

There's no doubt that hooligans caused the conditions (fences etc) that were an indirect cause of Hillsborough.

Some clubs had a far worse reputation than others for fighting inside grounds, and their fans should shoulder some of the blame, even if indirectly.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 30 Apr 2016 01:02

Royal With Cheese Just put him on your ignore list.

He's been there for years, but people keep quoting him.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 May 2016 12:02

From Despair To Where?
Anyway, why are we even discussing hooliganism in the context of Hillsborough when the inquest categorically established that it was not a factor. Oh, yeah, because Kes is peddling his own witless agenda.

I was talking in the context of Mr A's post. I never said hooliganism had a part to play in the Hillsborough disaster - only that hooliganism in the 70s/80s was the reason stadiums had perimeter fences. But you knew that didn't you? Please don't try and twist my words. And don't peddle your own 'witless agenda' against something I didn't say or me. :lol:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 02 May 2016 12:11

Deadlock
Royal With Cheese Just put him on your ignore list.

He's been there for years, but people keep quoting him.

Yes - it's a pity that can't get sorted.

Can it?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 May 2016 16:56

No Fixed Abode
From Despair To Where?

I was talking in the context of Mr A's post. I never said hooliganism had a part to play in the Hillsborough disaster - only that hooliganism in the 70s/80s was the reason stadiums had perimeter fences. But you knew that didn't you? Please don't try and twist my words. And don't peddle your own 'witless agenda' against something I didn't say or me. :lol:

RattLOLed

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 03 May 2016 10:43

Oh good one.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 May 2016 11:12

Sorry, forgot you'd copyrighted most of the lame retorts on here.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2016 23:04

Europa League finalists then.

Two cup finals for Klopp and he's not had a pre-season yet. Promising for Liverpool.

8685 posts