European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

5497 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: European Leagues Thread 2012/2013

by Stranded » 27 Aug 2024 10:16

Sanguine Death, taxes, and Leverkusen scoring winners deep in added time.

After their unbeaten run in all competitions ended at 51 games in the Europa League final, Leverkusen now stretch their unbeaten domestic streak to 42 matches, of which 35 in the league - albeit they will have to go unbeaten well into next year to start to threaten the list of longest runs in domestic football without defeat. The record for the 'big 5' leagues is Milan's 58.

They got a bit 'lucky' in that one, Mönchengladbach were probably the better side for most of the 2nd half - VAR disallowing a goal for them and being used to award the late penalty. VAR is normally used pretty well over here but all of the decisions seemed to take forever!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2024 11:04

Stranded

After their unbeaten run in all competitions ended at 51 games in the Europa League final, Leverkusen now stretch their unbeaten domestic streak to 42 matches, of which 35 in the league - albeit they will have to go unbeaten well into next year to start to threaten the list of longest runs in domestic football without defeat. The record for the 'big 5' leagues is Milan's 58.

They got a bit 'lucky' in that one, Mönchengladbach were probably the better side for most of the 2nd half - VAR disallowing a goal for them and being used to award the late penalty. VAR is normally used pretty well over here but all of the decisions seemed to take forever!

:shock: AC or Inter?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Aug 2024 11:17

Sutekh
Stranded

AC Milan. Early 90s if I recall correctly. Maldini, Baresi, Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten etc.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2024 13:48

Pepe Reina joined Como this summer, he's 41.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Aug 2024 09:56

Sutekh Pepe Reina joined Como this summer, he's 41.

The 'Chris Woods' of Spain. Immensely talented keeper who would have won more than his 36 caps (tbh I was surprised it was this many) but for the talent ahead of him.

And fair play to still be in the top division of a top 5 league in his 40s.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Aug 2024 15:52

Completely missed Ollie McBurnie joining Las Palmas

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Aug 2024 22:09

Sutekh
Stranded

Milan are Milan and that is Milan, not Milano because the founders were English.

Inter are just Inter or Internazionale.

Strictly speaking, calling them AC Milan and Inter Milan is like referring to the 2 Liverpool teams as Liverpool FC and Everton Liverpool.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Aug 2024 08:54

From Despair To Where? Milan are Milan and that is Milan, not Milano because the founders were English.

Well I never, I did not know that!

AC Milan was founded as Milan Foot-Ball and Cricket Club in 1899 by English expatriate Herbert Kilpin.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Aug 2024 09:09

Sanguine
From Despair To Where? Milan are Milan and that is Milan, not Milano because the founders were English.

Well I never, I did not know that!

AC Milan was founded as Milan Foot-Ball and Cricket Club in 1899 by English expatriate Herbert Kilpin.

its why they are called 'Meelan' (because Italians think that's how we say the word 'Milan') and why there is a St George's cross in their badge

Also AC Milan originally was only for Italians, and so Internazionale was born, a club exclusively for non Italians who wanted to play

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Aug 2024 09:20

From Despair To Where? Strictly speaking, calling them AC Milan and Inter Milan is like referring to the 2 Liverpool teams as Liverpool FC and Everton Liverpool.

I quite like the quirks of different countries calling clubs slightly different things because of their own culture or history. Sporting Lisbon is maybe the most well known one, and baffles many Portuguese why we call it that. PSV Eindhoven another we add the location on to when its not used by the club or their fans.

Athletic Bilbao another, as they are only ever known in Spain as Athletic Club, and their fans get genuinely annoyed when people call them Athletic Bilbao, as there is a history tied in they don't like.

I read years ago that one country (Germany?) say team names here with the city included, like above, so they say Chelsea London for example

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2024 09:36

Winston Biscuit
From Despair To Where? Strictly speaking, calling them AC Milan and Inter Milan is like referring to the 2 Liverpool teams as Liverpool FC and Everton Liverpool.

I quite like the quirks of different countries calling clubs slightly different things because of their own culture or history. Sporting Lisbon is maybe the most well known one, and baffles many Portuguese why we call it that. PSV Eindhoven another we add the location on to when its not used by the club or their fans.

Athletic Bilbao another, as they are only ever known in Spain as Athletic Club, and their fans get genuinely annoyed when people call them Athletic Bilbao, as there is a history tied in they don't like.

I read years ago that one country (Germany?) say team names here with the city included, like above, so they say Chelsea London for example

Bilbao are another club formed by expat Englishmen, hence Athletic Club rather than Athletico, but I'm sure Basque people are quite happy to not use the Spanish derivation.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 Aug 2024 09:47

From Despair To Where?
Winston Biscuit

Bilbao are another club formed by expat Englishmen, hence Athletic Club rather than Athletico, but I'm sure Basque people are quite happy to not use the Spanish derivation.

It's the 'Bilbao' part that they don't want in their name, because Franco forced that part on them

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2024 10:07

Winston Biscuit

It's a really mixed bag here - so for example Arsenal are referred to as FC Arsenal as are a few other clubs across Europe so FC Barcelona, FC Girona, FC Bologna being examples from the teams in todays CL Draw.

Where it is not completely clear where the side is from, the town does get added but not really for English sides i.e. I've never seen Chelsea London but again using CL sides - there is Celtic Glasgow, Feyernoord Rotterdam, Juventus Turin, Atalanta Bergamo which wouldn't be used in English.

There is also random cases where names are half translated so Red Star Belgrade is translated from the official Serbian name to Roter Stern Belgrad but Young Boys Bern stays in English. You do see similar in English though where Bayern München is translated to Bayern Munich when, if you are translating the team name it should really be Bavaria Munich in English as the Bayern just relates to the state so is also just a place name.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2024 10:13

Stranded
Winston Biscuit

It's a really mixed bag here - so for example Arsenal are referred to as FC Arsenal as are a few other clubs across Europe so FC Barcelona, FC Girona, FC Bologna being examples from the teams in todays CL Draw.

Where it is not completely clear where the side is from, the town does get added but not really for English sides i.e. I've never seen Chelsea London but again using CL sides - there is Celtic Glasgow, Feyernoord Rotterdam, Juventus Turin, Atalanta Bergamo which wouldn't be used in English.

There is also random cases where names are half translated so Red Star Belgrade is translated from the official Serbian name to Roter Stern Belgrad but Young Boys Bern stays in English. You do see similar in English though where Bayern München is translated to Bayern Munich when, if you are translating the team name it should really be Bavaria Munich in English as the Bayern just relates to the state so is also just a place name.

I read somewhere that the dates in German team names are misleading because they use the original formation date of the umbrella sports club so, for example, 1860 Munchen were formed in 1899 as part of the Munich sports club established in 1860.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2024 10:43

From Despair To Where?
Stranded
Winston Biscuit

I read somewhere that the dates in German team names are misleading because they use the original formation date of the umbrella sports club so, for example, 1860 Munchen were formed in 1899 as part of the Munich sports club established in 1860.

Correct, a lot of football clubs are part of a wider sports club which was often formed earlier. With 1860 Munich the 1860 isn't the original date it was founded either, that was 1848 but the club was banned for a while and reformed in 1860.

You may see some clubs have SG before their name i.e SG Eintracht Frankfurt this stands for Sportgeminde - literally translates as Sports community, so Sports Club is a better translation. With those, the football team is one strand of the club. Taking Eintracht as an example football is just one of 50 sports it offers - it is currently the biggest multi-sports club with a professional football team in the world.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2024 14:43

Anyone else hear White and Jordan on Talksport this morning moaning about how the FL have fixed/seeded the League Cup draw now so that the PL sides playing in Europe won't meet each other in the competition until the later stages and saying how the FL have bowed to pressure of UEFA?

How is that bowing to the pressure of UEFA? If anything surely UEFA would want the FL to ditch the entire competition and anyway surely it's more beneficial to leave it all alone and have them playing each other in the early rounds so some of those sides can get knocked out?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Aug 2024 15:08

Sutekh Anyone else hear White and Jordan on Talksport this morning moaning about how the FL have fixed/seeded the League Cup draw now so that the PL sides playing in Europe won't meet each other in the competition until the later stages and saying how the FL have bowed to pressure of UEFA?

How is that bowing to the pressure of UEFA? If anything surely UEFA would want the FL to ditch the entire competition and anyway surely it's more beneficial to leave it all alone and have them playing each other in the early rounds so some of those sides can get knocked out?

Storm over nothing, this. The third round of the Carabao Cup coincides with the opening round of games in the Champions League (and there are more games this season owing to the new format). So teams in the Champions League will play their third round ties a week later. That week is the start of the Europa League. So the only way to avoid a fixture clash was to keep the CL and EL sides apart, hence the draw format.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Aug 2024 08:03

Jamie Gittens (formerly Jamie Bynoe-Gittens) getting lots of praise for the first 2 games of the season for Dortmund. Scored both goals in their win last weekend.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 30 Aug 2024 08:38

Bordeaux have still not been able to kick off their season in the French 4th division, a regional amateur levels, after being demoted. The league started 2 weeks ago and Bordeaux were given some extra time to get themselves in order to start the season.

At that level you need to have 4 teams to be approved to play - A first team, a reserve team and 2 youth teams, and Bordeaux currently don't even have enough players for 1 team.

The delay they were given was until this weekend, but they are unable to field a team and so have requested another 1 week extra delay to try and get their season going.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 30 Aug 2024 08:52

Real Madrid can only draw away to Las Palmas, already 4 points behind Barca, and looking very disjointed in attack with Vinicius and Mbappé not working at all. I doubt Oli Mcburnie bullying Antonio Rudiger and Eder Militao was on anyone's la liga bingo card this season.

5497 posts