The Non - League thread

10624 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Non - League thread

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2018 14:40

Double header last night as Ascot Utd beat Brackley Town Saints 1-0 to record a win in both the League and the BSS Cup.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Apr 2018 18:58

Royal Rother
Old Man Andrews Thatcham will win the league now, nothing will stop them which is a shame for Bracknell but you cannot argue against Thatcham deserving it.

It doesn’t look that clear cut to me.

3 points behind with a game in hand....?

Room for a couple of twists and turns yet, but Thatcham’s run of 34 games unbeaten, with just the one draw in there, shows the strength in depth and mentality they have.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 11 Apr 2018 23:22

Royal Rother Weird game at Stag Meadow yesterday.

Windsor 4-3 Binfield.

.... was lurking in the shadows at this one - decided to ditch my Plan A at Shrivenham due to a continued outbreak of excessive 'conery' west on the M4
- quite a lot of it still around jn10 too (I missed a 9-2 !)

I was impressed by the younger players on show for both sides - Rog had brought a fair number of his kids too - one of whom got the early red card - shame for him but in some ways made it a more even contest.... chatted to him (RH) briefly just before 2nd half.

Think ultimately 'Moles' just ran out of legs and Windor had the extra pair which made the difference - plus Ian Davies had 'one of those nights' - grabbed two and made one for ex Highmoor player Sanchez Commock but missed a hatful and could have provided a few more assists had he not tried to go it alone.

Irony moment - tea bar staff pointing out how garish their visitors playing kit was - really? :lol:
(People in Glasshouses ... shouldn't !)

Loads of other local games on last night:

NAT
Maidenhead 2-1 Woking att 1301

SLP
Biggleswade Town 3-5 Slough Town
SL1E
Hartley W 2-0 Thame
Marlow
1-2 Fleet T
...and at the top of that section
AFC R&D 0-0 Bedford
SL1W
Kidlington 0-3 Evesham
Salisbury 2-2 Winchester C

HELLP
Woodley 1-3 Highworth

WESSP
Alresford 6-0 Bournemouth
Andover T 3-3 Team Solent
Portland Utd 1-5 Blackfield & Langley - B&L close the gap to leaders Andover T down to 6 points and they have three games in hand - starting tomorrow night (Thu) at bottom club Petersfield.
WESS1
Andover New Street 1-0 Christchurch - 2nd vs top and a great win for ANS - they are 5 points behind with one game in hand -and host bottom club Folland tomorrow night then visit 2nd bottom Verwood on Sat. Christchurch welcome 3rd bottom East Cowes to their Hurn Bridge ground this w/e.

Tonight (Wed)... there were not many games scheduled and some of those that were, fell victim to yet more bleedin' rain
- NATS Wealdstone vs Oxford C was off as was HELL1E Virgina Water v Aldermaston @ Stag Meadow.

.... the SLP game at Cherrywood Rd went ahead :

Farnborough 0-5 Bps Stortford with 2 goals for the returning goal-machine, Jamie Cureton, against his former employer.

...was another game in the Hants League I'd considered at one of the rare STEP07 'lit' grounds - was played much to my surprise:

Stockbridge 0-7 {SEVEN} Infinity - discovered that I was fortunate not to travel as they'd switched the venue very late PM, to the Charlton Sports Stadium @ Andover (the one next to Town's Portway). oddly enough 'Stocks' are one of only 4 clubs to have beaten the leaders in the league this season but were evidently not helped by the venue change.

.... if the rain ever relents enough, I might just consider popping up to The Elms tomorrow night for HELLP Highworth v Windsor
- though unless it stays dry that and most of the others I'd be interested in will almost certainly be off:
Petersfield, Winslow or Culham Rd (Abingdon Town) being 'borrowed' for an HELL1W fixture Headington Amateurs against the still-without-a-point Tytherington Rocks (they of the 2-9 defeat I missed on Tuesday :? )

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Apr 2018 07:19

If it’s on, I too will be at Highworth tonight.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Apr 2018 23:55

Highworth 3-2 Windsor

Very enjoyable game. Excellent performance from Windsor’s youngsters, 8 teenagers on the pitch at the end and 2 others substituted.

Unfortunately Highworth’s keeper was excellent but we had far more chances during the game. It’s an up and down job supporting Windsor for sure, you’re never quite sure what you’re going to see, but tonight was a performance to be proud of, despite the result.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Apr 2018 07:58

Royal Rother Highworth 3-2 Windsor

Very enjoyable game. Excellent performance from Windsor’s youngsters, 8 teenagers on the pitch at the end and 2 others substituted.

Unfortunately Highworth’s keeper was excellent but we had far more chances during the game. It’s an up and down job supporting Windsor for sure, you’re never quite sure what you’re going to see, but tonight was a performance to be proud of, despite the result.

You think they will be in a position to win it next season if they get a couple more in over the summer? I have really rated them the couple of times I've watched them.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2018 08:42

Most talented squad in the division apparently :wink:

Just joking with RR, they're obviously a talented group but, as RR said himself on a few occasions on here, they're just not quite ready, as a collective, to play against the more experienced and physical sides in the league over a whole season.

I think they'd need more than a couple of older heads in over the summer to supplement the young talent in order to be challenging, but I've only seen them a couple of times I think so I might be selling them short.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Apr 2018 09:25

Not sure whether OMA was asking about Highworth or Windsor tbh.

The thing is it is all about budgets at this level, if you haven’t got one you’ve got almost no chance of getting promoted.

The trouble is that these lads are not men, at 17 or 18 you don’t know how they will develop. If they were in an academy training every day then yes, if they stuck together, in 2 years’ time the squad could well be capable of challenging.

But that’s far too many ifs.

I think we do need to close the age range somewhat. Barry Hayles had one of his best games for us last night (2 full 90 mins in 48 hours - what a credit to himself) but he and Kieron Knight (our most regular combo up front) have a combined age of 83.

Yes their experience has been good for the lads I’m sure but pace is a killer at this level and they miss out there. They can use strength and experience to get past defenders but never pace, and it’s very hard to beat the better defences without it.

Yes, we need some players in. But we will be limited as to the quality we can get because we don’t pay players. Will it make a big difference?

Doubt it for next season, but who knows for the one after....

....IF......

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Apr 2018 09:30

Royal Rother Not sure whether OMA was asking about Highworth or Windsor tbh.

The thing is it is all about budgets at this level, if you haven’t got one you’ve got almost no chance of getting promoted.

The trouble is that these lads are not men, at 17 or 18 you don’t know how they will develop. If they were in an academy training every day then yes, if they stuck together, in 2 years’ time the squad could well be capable of challenging.

But that’s far too many ifs.

I think we do need to close the age range somewhat. Barry Hayles had one of his best games for us last night (2 full 90 mins in 48 hours - what a credit to himself) but he and Kieron Knight (our most regular combo up front) have a combined age of 83.

Yes their experience has been good for the lads I’m sure but pace is a killer at this level and they miss out there. They can use strength and experience to get past defenders but never pace, and it’s very hard to beat the better defences without it.

Yes, we need some players in. But we will be limited as to the quality we can get because we don’t pay players. Will it make a big difference?

Doubt it for next season, but who knows for the one after....

....IF......

Windsor, I like them. Good footballing side from the two times I've seen them this season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2018 10:11

Royal Rother But that’s far too many ifs.

Totally agree with all of your post RR. Step 5 is so much about budget and so much about attracting and retaining players. It's a physically demanding level and you need pace and power to really challenge. Highworth have seen their form dip dramatically since they lost their better players but they're still, like Bracknell and Thatcham, a powerful and physical squad.

I think it'll be interesting to see what Binfield can do this summer. If Thatcham and Bracknell both go up they might have the chance to bring in a little more quality for this level without two big spenders on their doorstep. They're already a good side with a good manager so I could see them being one to watch.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 13 Apr 2018 21:03

Minor problem with Binfield - and money may well be the root of it - they rarely seem to keep their better players - would imagine any of the current crop deemed a decent prospect will be lured away to whoever goes up to STEP04 this season.
Highworth have got Edenborough back for the last couple of games - probably a bit late now - and for some reason they had him deeper in midfield v Windsor last night.
Thatcham won the pre-cursor for the league 2-0 at Larges Lane in the Floodlit Cup S-F - att 277 - but the Bracknell line-up certainly looked 2nd -string - didn't see the Thatcham team names.

I shunned the chance of the game at The Elms keeping myself back for the visit there of Thatcham on Monday night - if I can get out early enough and the M4 is moving.

Popped up to one of my fave local ground's Abingdon Town's Culham Rd, for a bit of what the 'Anorak glossary' terms as 'goal-whoring'.

Hellenic Div One WEST side, Tytherington Rocks P21 L21 GD -110+, (village north of Bristol next to the M5) were the visitors to 'temporary hosts' Headington Amateurs, who were borrowing the Ground from their cross-city neighbours.
They (HA) don't have a proper home ground currently - been 'shafted' by City Council over re-development at their Barton Rd ground - isn't room for them at Court Place with City and Nomads plus Development/Academy sides, taking up most of the bookings - think there's a couple of other 'local' league clubs using the outside pitches too.
Until recently have been slumming it down at Horspath, which is pretty basic and now also undergoing some kind of redevelopment around the Athletics facility rendering it unavailable too. they've been forced to play most of their remaining 'home' games at their opponents grounds.
Last night didn't quite go to form, though early signs were ominous enough.
At 19:40 only 6 visiting players had turned up - more arrived in dribs/drabs and game got underway at about 5' to, with 'Rocks' a man light and definitely NOT their first choice keeper between the sticks. Conceded in the 2nd minute and I expected the usual rout - they shipped NINE at Shrivenham on Tuesday night.
Somehow they hung on in there, even managed to grab an equaliser with their first attack. Home side scored shortly after to restore their lead and the score stayed at 2-1 until HT - a couple more Rocks players turned up too.
2nd half they kept the deficit at one as much through Headington's poor performance; their manager on the touchline was getting increasingly agitated and more furious with his sides lack of effort as the game progressed. Rocks somehow managed to force the ball in only to concede AGAIN immediately.
For the final few minutes trailing 2-3 Rocks kept at it and on about 92' got their third equaliser, amid scenes of outright rapture at the prospect of their first point of the season.
At this point the Home manager nearly exploded.
Sadly HA snatched a winner on 96' - the ball skidding wildly off the surface and deceiving the visiting keeper - an experienced stopper may have kept it out but he'd done his best during the 90' and was harshly rewarded as were the Tytherington side as a whole.
Home manager seemed to apologize sincerely to the visitors at the Final whistle, acknowledging how cruel the outcome had been and that his side hadn't deserved to escape with a win.
Rocks still have four games left to avoid the dreaded 'nul points': I hope they manage it - their best opportunity will come in the final two fixtures away at the 2 sides immediately above them (Woodstock and New College - the latter only have 6 points themselves)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...after all that blather :mrgreen: - here's tomorrow's fixtures:

NL Fixtures 14th April

NAT
Maidenhead United v Dover Athletic
Tranmere Rovers v Aldershot Town
Woking
v Bromley
NATN
Brackley Town v Alfreton Town
NATS
Bath City v Hungerford Town
Bognor Regis Town v Hemel Hempstead Town
Braintree Town v Concord Rangers
Chippenham Town v Truro City
East Thurrock United v Chelmsford City
Eastbourne Borough v Dartford
Hampton & Richmond Borough v Gloucester City
Havant & Waterlooville v St Albans City
Poole Town v Wealdstone
Weston-super-Mare v Oxford City
Whitehawk v Welling United

ILP
Dorking Wanderers v Folkestone Invicta
Staines Town v Margate

SLP
Basingstoke Town v Dunstable Town
Chesham United v Gosport Borough
Frome Town v Farnborough
Slough Town
v King's Lynn Town
Weymouth v Banbury United
SL1E
AFC Rushden & Diamonds v Aylesbury United
Arlesey Town v Hanwell Town
Aylesbury v Bedford Town
Chalfont St Peter v Kempston Rovers
Fleet Town v Northwood
Hartley Wintney v Uxbridge
Hayes & Yeading United v Egham Town
Marlow
v Ashford Town (Middx)
Moneyfields v Beaconsfield Town
Thame United
v Barton Rovers
SL1W
Didcot Town v AFC Totton
Kidlington v Salisbury
North Leigh v Cirencester Town
Swindon Supermarine v Winchester City

CCLP
Abbey Rangers v Redhill
Bedfont Sports v Banstead Athletic
Camberley Town v AFC Hayes
Epsom & Ewell v Westfield
Farnham Town
v Guildford City
Godalming Town
v Sutton Common Rovers
Horley Town v CB Hounslow United
Knaphill v Chertsey Town
North Greenford United Balham
Spelthorne Sports Hanworth Villa
CCL1
Bedfont & Feltham v AC London
Chessington & Hook United v Kensington Borough
Cove v Cobham
Farleigh Rovers v FC Deportivo Galicia
Fleet Spurs v Ash United
Raynes Park Vale v Eversley & California
South Park Reserves v Bagshot
Worcester Park v Staines Lammas

HELLP
Binfield v Thatcham Town
Brackley Town Saints v Flackwell Heath
Brimscombe & Thrupp v Burnham
Highmoor Ibis
v Fairford Town
Longlevens v Windsor
Lydney Town v Ascot United
Oxford City Nomads v Wantage Town
Tuffley Rovers v Bracknell Town
HL1E
Chalfont Wasps v Thame Rangers
Sandhurst Town
v Milton United
Virginia Water v Didcot Town Reserves
Wokingham & Emmbrook v Holyport
HL1W
Letcombe v Clanfield (85)

WESSP
Alresford Town v Sholing
Andover Town v Fareham Town
Blackfield & Langley v Lymington Town
Bournemouth v Petersfield Town - B&L now only 3 pts behind with 1 game in hand and a vastly superior GD – could be heart-break for Andover T who have led the table all season to date – at least 2 may go up which might be consolation.

WESS1
AFC Stoneham v Whitchurch United
Alton
v Romsey Town
Christchurch v East Cowes Victoria
Totton & Eling v Tadley Calleva
Verwood Town v Andover New Street

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2018 21:42

Blimey FoC, that’s one pre-cursor to the fixture list...thank you

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Apr 2018 19:42

Maidenhead 3-2 Dover

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 15 Apr 2018 12:03

NL Results Sat 14th April

NAT
Maidenhead United 3-2 Dover Athletic att 1155 - 94’ winner from Kilman
Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Aldershot Town
Woking 0-2 Bromley – ‘Cards’ now in real bother just 1 point above the drop zone with only 2 games left and Barrow have 2 games in hand on them - one of which is at bottom club Guiseley this Tuesday.
Next w/e could be the crunch – Woking go to almost certainly relegated Guiseley whilst Barrow have to come to the (w) Rec. Woking’s last game is home to PO chasing Dover whilst Barrow still have to play Bromley away then relegated Chester on the final day.
Hartlepool a point above Woking are probably safe but might drop into it as they have three games left – H v Orient midweek; H v Torquay and finishing at Tranmere.

- Tranmere still 10 pts behind the leaders Macc and have 4 games left (A v Dover; A v Halifax; H v Solihull; H v Hartlepool) to their 2 (A v Eastleigh; H v Dag & Red)
Other PO spots currently occupied by Sutton, Boreham Wd, Fylde, The Sh!ts & Wrexham with Dover and/or Ebbsfleet in touching distance.

NATN
Brackley Town 1-3 Alfreton Town – surprise home defeat for the Saints but they are safely in the PO zone with 4 games left and a big Wembley Final to consider.
- Champions likely to be Salford or Harrogate
- Looks as if Tamworth & Gainsborough will be joining N.Ferriby at STEP03 next season; though Leamington and Telford are at risk too – my mate has expressed a wish to see the relegation dogfight between AFC Telford and Gainsborough next w/e :?

NATS
Bath City 5-0 Hungerford Town ‘ Crusaders’ still in serious peril, should Poole make up the 5 point gap in the remaining 4 games. At least current form could save them – albeit they only have 3pts from 18 – The Pirates are 1 better but did win yesterday. Hungerford trek down to Truro on Tuesday evening, then play still improving but probably doomed Whitehawk at the Bulpit next Sat. They finish with two trips to Essex; at Concord Tue 24th and East Thurrock on the last day (28/4); Poole have three home games (H&R, Whitehawk & Oxford C - @ Concord next Sat)
Bognor Regis Town 2-3 Hemel Hempstead Town
Braintree Town 2-1 Concord Rangers
Chippenham Town 2-0 Truro City
East Thurrock United 2-4 Chelmsford City
Eastbourne Borough 0-1 Dartford
Hampton & Richmond Borough 1-1 Gloucester City
Havant & Waterlooville 2-1 St Albans City
Poole Town 2-1 Wealdstone
Weston-super-Mare 4-2 Oxford City
Whitehawk 2-1 Welling United

- A bit tight at the top here Dartford top on GD (1 goal better off) from Havant & W
- PO spots currently held by Chelmsford, Hampton & R, Hemel, Truro & StAlebuns with Braintree, Welling & Bath hoping for slip-ups.

ILP
Dorking Wanderers 5-3 Folkestone Invicta
Staines Town 2-2 Margate

SLP
Basingstoke Town 2-0 Dunstable Town
Chesham United 3-0 Gosport Borough
Frome Town 1-1 Farnborough
Slough Town 2-2 King's Lynn Town att 822 – two more from Coles at either end of the match (1’ & 87’)
Weymouth 1-1 Banbury United
SL1E
AFC Rushden & Diamonds 4-1 Aylesbury United
Arlesey Town 2-3 Hanwell Town
Aylesbury PP Bedford Town - still waterlogged
Chalfont St Peter 1-1 Kempston Rovers
Fleet Town 1-0 Northwood
Hartley Wintney 4-0 Uxbridge – hat-trick for ex-Boro striker Ciardini
Hayes & Yeading United {SIX} 6-1 Egham Town
Marlow PP Ashford Town (Middx)
Moneyfields 2-4 Beaconsfield Town - Town overtake AFC R&D to go top & stil have a game in hand – make a short trip to struggling Aylesbury on Thursday – if it’s dried out.
Thame United 5-2 Barton Rovers
SL1W
Didcot Town 0-0 AFC Totton
Kidlington 0-1 Salisbury
North Leigh 1-2 Cirencester Town
Swindon Supermarine 1-1 Winchester City

CCLP
Abbey Rangers 0-3 Redhill
Bedfont Sports 5-0 Banstead Athletic
Camberley Town 0-1 AFC Hayes
Epsom & Ewell 2-2 Westfield
Farnham Town 1-2 Guildford City
Godalming Town
3-6 {SIX} Sutton Common Rovers
Horley Town 2-4 CB Hounslow United
Knaphill 4-1 Chertsey Town
North Greenford United 2-2 Balham
Spelthorne Sports 1-4 Hanworth Villa
CCL1
Bedfont & Feltham 4-2 AC London - was fairly certain they would start picking up points having seen them a couple of weeks back
Chessington & Hook United 5-0 Kensington Borough
Cove 0-2 Cobham
Farleigh Rovers 1-2 FC Deportivo Galicia
Fleet Spurs 0-2 Ash United
Raynes Park Vale 1-1 Eversley & California
South Park Reserves 3-1 Bagshot
Worcester Park {SIX} 6-0 Staines Lammas

HELLP
Binfield 0-5 Thatcham Town - att 123 - hat-trick for Cooper-Clark – Kingsfishers three up by HT
Brackley Town Saints 2-1 Flackwell Heath played at Flackwell
Brimscombe & Thrupp 4-1 Burnham
Highmoor Ibis
3-1 Fairford Town - important win for H/I as they strive to beat the drop which will almost certainly involve Burnham and their lodgers Woodley. They (H/I) have 4 games left to overhaul Lydney – though Fairford will be battling for survival too.

Longlevens 3-0 Windsor
Lydney Town 3-0 Ascot United
Oxford City Nomads 0-2 Wantage Town
Tuffley Rovers 1-2 Bracknell TownRobins 2 up on 20’ cannot afford a slip up as Thatcham may win all three remaining games –they have two at Home vs Tuffley and Brackley Saints – if they do manage a maximum return, then Bracknell can only pip them on GD and they are currently 16 worse off. Highworth could do the Robins a huge favour, should they beat Thatcham tomorrow night at The Elms.
HL1E
Chalfont Wasps 1-0 Thame Rangers
Sandhurst Town
2-1 Milton United
Virginia Water 2-1 Didcot Town Reserves VW grab the lead by 1 point and very much occupy the driving seat ; they have2 games left (both at Stag Meadow: Aldermaston & Thame Rgrs) to Bicester’s one; Penn & Tylers cannot overhaul them now.

Wokingham & Emmbrook 3-4 Holyport
HL1W
Letcombe 3-2 Clanfield (85)
- As featured in my epic rambling Preview; pointless Tytherington Rocks remain so. They were unable to fulfill the promise of that narrow defeat in the week and shipped another eight without replay at Home to Easington

WESSP
Alresford Town 1-4 Sholing
Andover Town 4-3 Fareham Town
Blackfield & Langley 4-0 Lymington Town
Bournemouth 3-1 Petersfield Town

WESS1
AFC Stoneham 4-0 Whitchurch United
Alton
3-2 Romsey Town
Christchurch 3-2 East Cowes Victoria
Totton & Eling 2-4 Tadley Calleva
Verwood Town 1-4 Andover New Street

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Apr 2018 16:05

Longlevens 3-0 Windsor

5 games in 13 days has taken its toll, with a pretty flat performance from a very young team again.

Good experience for them though and I’m sure the coaching staff will have learned a lot from the last few games. One of those will be that the supposed wonder-kid Keaton August is way short of what is required for men’s football. Show Pony is what comes to mind so far. And a pretty rubbish one at that. Lovely round-the-world tricks though....

He looks intimidated, doesn’t really want the ball and gets rid of it as quickly as he can rather than try to beat his man. Not sure I’ve seen him actually beat a defender and get a cross in in his dozen or more appearances.

Another youngster, Jack Hall, who is only just 17 and a quiet lad, has featured in the last 3 games and without doing anything particularly flashy has an ability to beat his man and whip a cross in almost every time he gets the ball in the final 3rd. Very promising so far.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2018 16:16

Four Of Clubs
HELLP
Binfield 0-5 Thatcham Town - att 123 - hat-trick for Cooper-Clark – Kingsfishers three up by HT
Brackley Town Saints 2-1 Flackwell Heath played at Flackwell
Brimscombe & Thrupp 4-1 Burnham
Highmoor Ibis
3-1 Fairford Town - important win for H/I as they strive to beat the drop which will almost certainly involve Burnham and their lodgers Woodley. They (H/I) have 4 games left to overhaul Lydney – though Fairford will be battling for survival too.

Longlevens 3-0 Windsor
Lydney Town 3-0 Ascot United
Oxford City Nomads 0-2 Wantage Town
Tuffley Rovers 1-2 Bracknell TownRobins 2 up on 20’ cannot afford a slip up as Thatcham may win all three remaining games –they have two at Home vs Tuffley and Brackley Saints – if they do manage a maximum return, then Bracknell can only pip them on GD and they are currently 16 worse off. Highworth could do the Robins a huge favour, should they beat Thatcham tomorrow night at The Elms.
HL1E
Chalfont Wasps 1-0 Thame Rangers
Sandhurst Town
2-1 Milton United
Virginia Water 2-1 Didcot Town Reserves VW grab the lead by 1 point and very much occupy the driving seat ; they have2 games left (both at Stag Meadow: Aldermaston & Thame Rgrs) to Bicester’s one; Penn & Tylers cannot overhaul them now.

Wokingham & Emmbrook 3-4 Holyport
HL1W
Letcombe 3-2 Clanfield (85)
- As featured in my epic rambling Preview; pointless Tytherington Rocks remain so. They were unable to fulfill the promise of that narrow defeat in the week and shipped another eight without replay at Home to Easington

If Bracknell and Thatcham do win all their remaining league games they’ll both have 98 points so let’s hope both 1st and 2nd get promotion...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2018 19:37

Also just noted that Western League Street are on a little bit of a run.

On 21st October they were done 7-1 at Willand Rovers in the FA Vase.

Twenty three games later their record reads P23, W23, D0, L0 in all competitions (3 cup, 20 league). Believe the world record for successive wins is 25 - anyone confirm - so they could be in the records books very shortly.

Think they’ll certainly be up for step 4 next season as they’ve won 29 of their 33 league games so far.

If you’re that way inclined, they’re home to Britton on Tuesday and then Brislington on Saturday. Then next Monday could be the big one with Bridport the visitors.

And if you’re wondering where Street is, it’s just south of Glastonbury....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Apr 2018 20:05

Sutekh Believe the world record for successive wins is 25 - anyone confirm - so they could be in the records books very shortly...

A quick google threw up this: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wor ... mpetitions

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Apr 2018 22:04

Thatcham have secured promotion with a late win at Highworth. You've got to give that Thatcham team credit, they've been unstoppable.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 17 Apr 2018 00:09

Old Man Andrews Thatcham have secured promotion with a late win at Highworth. You've got to give that Thatcham team credit, they've been unstoppable.

I was there tonight - crowd officially announced as 291 - but there is plenty of room at the Elms so didn't seem packed.

Thatcham had the upper hand for most of the game yet really struggled to break the hosts down. Wasn't all one-way and you could see why Highworth had been top for so long - they showed flashes of real quality going forward - but hamstrung themselves when main striker Sproules got a 2nd yellow for stupid shove on visiting keeper Rackley, chasing a through ball.

... even when down to 10 men they still fashioned a couple of chances that Ash Edenborough should have scored from - easy to see why Supermarine are reportedly sniffing after him too - even this late in the season.

Their defence held firm until injury time when two trademark Liam Ferdinand goals on 91' and 93' poached a win and promotion for the 'Kingfishers'.

Up to Bracknell Town now to keep the pressure on by winning tomorrow at home to Brackley Saints, then at Windsor on Friday night.
Thatcham travel to Abingdon Utd for another Cup tie on Thursday evening - the league Challenge Cup S-F - Bracknell Town await in the Final venue tba.

Elsewhere locally Highmoor/IBIS stunned Binfield 3-2 at Scours and are temporarily out of the bottom 4; Slough won again 1-0 away at Hitchin & Kidlington went down 1-2 at home to Bideford.

Lots of games tomorrow night in no particular order (pick of them probably the first one)

SL1W Winchester City v Taunton - quite fancy this if I get home in time (if not then may bowl up at Tadley or Aldermaston - Eversley & C. are also at home to Baggy Lea

Supermarine host Salisbury in the same section.

SLP Basingstoke v Bps Stortford (possibly incl Jamie Cureton)

NATS Maidenhead v Sutton (free entry in advance or £5 on the gate, I think - as I mentioned last week?)

HELLP Windsor host Flackwell

...and finally for the moment in the Aldershot Senior S-F Hartley Wintney host Farnham Town

10624 posts