92%
Lampard
8%

Total votes: 62
Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Paul Scholes

by Kitson12 » 18 Aug 2010 17:05

Surely Clough, you should change that to "Wonder what the best post-war manager, who remains alive, thinks about Paul Scholes?"

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 18 Aug 2010 17:06

Big Foot
TBM
Big Foot Wonder what the best ever post-war manager thinks about Paul Scholes?

Fergie?

Mourinho

ALOL! You really don't do yourself any favours do you?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Aug 2010 17:08

royal tee Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Sam Allardyce : "There is not a better midfield player in the world."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Ray Wilkins : "I'm saddened because I think we as spectators, not only in this country but right through out Europe and the rest of the World, will be missing one hell of a footballer."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who's the best english player : "Paul Scholes."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

David Beckham said that, among his teammates at Real Madrid, which included Zinedine Zidane, Raúl, Ronaldo, Luís Figo and Roberto Carlos, Scholes was the most admired opponent : "He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from some of those players is great."

Pah! What do they know comapared to the likes of myself, Ian Royal and Royalee?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Aug 2010 17:21

Y21_Royal
Big Foot
TBM Fergie?

Mourinho

ALOL! You really don't do yourself any favours do you?

What do you mean?

Mourinho has been successful in 3 leagues (soon to be 4), won the UEFA Cup, Champions League twice, 6 domestic league titles and 8 domestic cup competitions

NO-ONE else has done that or more in different leagues

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 18 Aug 2010 17:43

Big Foot Mourinho has been successful in 3 leagues (soon to be 4), won the UEFA Cup, Champions League twice, 6 domestic league titles and 8 domestic cup competitions

NO-ONE else has done that or more in different leagues

I'm not for one second suggesting that Mourinho isn't a great manager BUT

1) he's been bankrolled extensively at every club that he's been at
2) his success at Inter was, in part, due to the Calciopoli scandal and other clubs still recovering from it
3) Porto aside, he's managed clubs that are already well established and successful

As I say, he is a very good manager and will go down in history as such but to suggest that he's better than Clough, Shankly, Ferguson, Busby, Herrera, etc is a little ridiculous

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 18 Aug 2010 18:00

Actually, its a lot ridiculous.

As much as I can't stand Ferguson, Mourinho is only fit to be his interpreter.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Aug 2010 18:11

3 veesinarow Actually, its a lot ridiculous.

Apart from Mourinho won the Champions League with the Portuguese equivalent of Everton you'd have a point.
Considering Ferguson has a 20 +year march on Jose I'd say time will judge both as great managers.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Aug 2010 20:04

3 different leagues too, as I said - unrivalled success

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Aug 2010 20:59

Sorry..this has all gone off topic.

If Scholes is so good....then why hasn't he won any individual accolades?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Aug 2010 22:06

This poll is closer than I thought it would be.

Good skillz BF. Move the debate on to a new one after you lose the first. Unfortunately you backed the wrong horse again.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Aug 2010 22:29

I'm fairly sure BF was doing a spot of fishing TBF.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Aug 2010 22:32

Royal With Cheese
royal tee Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Sam Allardyce : "There is not a better midfield player in the world."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Ray Wilkins : "I'm saddened because I think we as spectators, not only in this country but right through out Europe and the rest of the World, will be missing one hell of a footballer."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who's the best english player : "Paul Scholes."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

David Beckham said that, among his teammates at Real Madrid, which included Zinedine Zidane, Raúl, Ronaldo, Luís Figo and Roberto Carlos, Scholes was the most admired opponent : "He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from some of those players is great."

Pah! What do they know comapared to the likes of myself, Ian Royal and Royalee?

Nice to see so many who ought to be in the know agree with me.

Lampard is exceptionally effective as a player for Chelsea, but that doesn't make him a truely great player. He is far from being even equal with Scholes IMO.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Aug 2010 09:44

Big Foot 3 different leagues too, as I said - unrivalled success

I'd qualify that by suggesting that until recently, managers simply wouldn't move abroad or at least, if they did, it would be to a country with very similar customs and language.

So my hunch is that managers mentioned before are simply not comparible to someone who has more of an opportunity to manage in more countries.

As modern managers go, almost certainly right up there. But its near-on impossible to make a comparison. Ferguson's longetivity and success with a very unfancied team in Scotland would be enough for me, now, to put him above Mourinho but then again, Mourinho has another decade or so in which he will almost certainly overtake.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 19 Aug 2010 10:05

soggy biscuit
Seal Scholes is the best player of his generation.

Not to take anything away from Scholes who is pure class but:

Maldini > (fat) Ronaldo > Giggs > Schmeichel > Del Piero > Scholes

And probably a fair few more too

Best ENGLISH player of his generation was what I meant douchebag. We were comparing him to Lampard not Zidane.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 19 Aug 2010 10:11

Seal
soggy biscuit
Seal Scholes is the best player of his generation.

Not to take anything away from Scholes who is pure class but:

Maldini > (fat) Ronaldo > Giggs > Schmeichel > Del Piero > Scholes

And probably a fair few more too

Best ENGLISH player of his generation was what I meant douchebag.

ALOL! Of course, that was so obvious by the fact you didn't once mention the word 'English' in your statement.

It seems backstroke is back in for 2010

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 19 Aug 2010 11:51

Yawn.

Apologies for not be suitably granular. How dull.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 19 Aug 2010 12:08

Can we have a proper comparison like 'Scholes or Sig', or 'Giggs or Kebe'? :lol:

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 19 Aug 2010 12:08

Royal With Cheese

Apart from Mourinho won the Champions League with the Portuguese equivalent of Everton you'd have a point.
Considering Ferguson has a 20 +year march on Jose I'd say time will judge both as great managers.

'greed totally. However, my rebuff was aimed at this:

Big Foot
TBM
Big Foot Wonder what the best ever post-war manager thinks about Paul Scholes?

Fergie?

Mourinho

wherein BF states that Mourinho is already the best manager EVA...having managed to swerve the whole thread off-topic once he realised the trouncing he was getting.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 19 Aug 2010 14:38

Royal With Cheese

Porto are the Poruguese equivalent of Man Utd :|

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Aug 2010 00:44

He finished last season with 1,497 attempted passes to his name, of which 89.58% reached their intended target - making him the division's most accurate passer.