Should John Terry be reinstated as England Captain?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Should John Terry be reinstated as England Captain?

by soggy biscuit » 25 Mar 2011 12:13

I will be sparing a thought for Vanessa Perroncel

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 25 Mar 2011 17:33

I will be sparing a thought for that 12 year old raped by that Reading youth player.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Mar 2011 17:50

I'll be sparing a thought for Chelsea fans who take football way too seriously.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 25 Mar 2011 18:25

No Fixed Abode I will be sparing a thought for that 12 year old raped by that Reading youth player.

Why does John Terry make you think of that??

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Mar 2011 18:58

No Fixed Abode

Terry: "Why do they print these upside down? Fwank, what does this say? Fwank? Where's Fwank?"

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Mar 2011 02:03

Terry was S desperate to be the England captain, that he couldn't be bothered to say to Capello that, as permanent skipper, he should lead the team out regardless of the opposition; so he isn't even going to be at Wembley on Tuesday night, let alone captaining the side!! So CappeLOLOLO has to choose yet ANOTHER captain!

What a total joke.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Mar 2011 13:21

The permanent captain issue is slightly different obviously but it does seem a bit wrong to be sending home 4 or 5 of your best eleven.

It means that the Ghana game will see either an international novice or a player who can't get in the first team (or both) leading out their country for an effective reserve team fixture.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 28 Mar 2011 17:08

Probably too 'traditionalist', but I don't like caps being handed out like they mean so little - by all means blood young players like Wilshere amongst experienced players, but I don't like relegating an international fixture to a 'reserve' kickabout - Capello should be assessing the worthiness of players from their league performances and England training camps, not bunching them altogether in pointless friendlies as some kind of guide to international readiness.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Mar 2011 21:20

This game is one for the FA to rake in some needed revenue, and I think it's a sell out, but it shouldn't be being turned into a reserve game as it's now become.

Barry is now going to skipper the side which has a real B-team feel about it. I'd be a bit disappointed if I'd shelled out all that money basically under false pretences.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Mar 2011 13:21

Yeah I can see there being quite a lot of aggrieved punters for this one (I read 21,000 Ghanaian supporters for this game - highest away crowd in international history?).

That said, the likes of Rooney and Lampard haven't exactly been in stellar for over the last year so it's more of a "name" thing really. Wilshere and Parker, for example, will both probably be easily good enough.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Mar 2011 13:53

They may well be good enough, and to an extent it will be more interesting for many to see the impact of taking the 'star names' out, but it is in no doubt a reserve team fixture.

If these guys aren't 2nd choice players then they should've been playing on Saturday during the important game.

21,000 is a massive turn out. No doubt the majority haven't travelled from Ghana for it, but all the same, they want to see their team up against the best England can offer. If they win now where is the real kudos to beating our B team?

I can't imagine the Ghanian FA are overly chuffed about it either.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 29 Mar 2011 14:07

tbf, they have ramped down ticket prices for this one :

Ticket Prices £40, £30, £25, £20
Family Enclosure £20 Adults/£10 Children under 16

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 29 Mar 2011 14:30

Hoop Blah They may well be good enough, and to an extent it will be more interesting for many to see the impact of taking the 'star names' out, but it is in no doubt a reserve team fixture.

If these guys aren't 2nd choice players then they should've been playing on Saturday during the important game.

21,000 is a massive turn out. No doubt the majority haven't travelled from Ghana for it, but all the same, they want to see their team up against the best England can offer. If they win now where is the real kudos to beating our B team?

I'm with Mags, they may want to see the Champions League stars but let's be honest, they suck for England, so they're probably going to see a much mroe honest and committed England team, albeit one with less quality

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 29 Mar 2011 14:37

plus of course they'll all firebomb their local speakeasies when Man U get knocked out of the CL

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Mar 2011 14:42

Hoop Blah They may well be good enough, and to an extent it will be more interesting for many to see the impact of taking the 'star names' out, but it is in no doubt a reserve team fixture.

They [the two I mentioned] were. Of course, it does broadly have the feel of a B team match.

Pfff, sell-out crowd and a few more benjamins for the Ghanian dignitaries to spend on Patek Phillippe watches and Savile Row suits before they go home.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Mar 2011 15:17

Wax Jacket I'm with Mags, they may want to see the Champions League stars but let's be honest, they suck for England, so they're probably going to see a much mroe honest and committed England team, albeit one with less quality

I'd probably see the same if I go to Whitely Rec and watch South Reading instead of Reading vs Pompey this weekend but that doesn't I'm happy to part with 20 quid for the pleasure.

If this side that plays tonight is going to be better, how many of them do you think (or want to be, as obviously thats two different things) will be selected over and above their counterparts from Saturdays team as and when the result actually matters?

Mags, I agree the two players you picked out are actually two that fit into what could be seen as our strongest side at the moment. I'm not sure they're starting though after the recent comments about changing the whole team.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Mar 2011 15:23

I believe this is the first time Ghana have ever played England, their former colonial opressors*, which is why it's such a big deal for them. there is also a tribute to Arthur Wharton (?) before the game, the first ever black pro, who was born in Ghana (or Gold Coast TBP) For some reason though, the presentation to Wharton's oldest surviving relative is an hour before kick off, so I'm sure a bunch of empty seats will really appreciate the significance of his contribution.

Anyways, if Capello doesn't care about this game why should I?

*(c) the yoghurt knitters

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Mar 2011 17:24

Silver Fox Anyways, if Capello doesn't care about this game why should I?

You like black people and want to see them sway their hips in unison down by the corner flag?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Mar 2011 19:43

4 players keep their places in the starting line up.

Some good players involved yes, but a full international side? No, not really.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Mar 2011 20:41

Hoop Blah 4 players keep their places in the starting line up.

Some good players involved yes, but a full international side? No, not really.

Barry, Johnson, Milner, Hart all in the 2010 World Cup squad. Jagielka, Young, Wilshere, and Downing all played in the Wales match.

I reckon it's only the centre halves who are distinctly England B, the rest is fine. Plus, i'm enjoying it :)