Wooney

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Wooney

by Super_horns » 25 Jun 2012 14:29

He looked very unfit and maybe disinterested...but did score the winner which took us through to the Italy game.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jun 2012 14:40

cmonurz If we had someone genuinely banging on the door (an Oxlade-Chamberlain or Wilshere of a forward, for example) I’d be all for Rooney being a ‘squad player’, but we don’t.

In terms of replacing Rooney, I think Oxlade-Chamberlain is probably the next contender. Sturridge and Conner Wickham are maybe the two currently knocking on the door to get a game as genuine forwards, but they've got quite a way to go yet to be a viable alternative.

There do seem to be some interesting young midfielders coming though though. I'm hoping to see a lot more of Ross Barkley at Everton this season, and of course Wilshire needs to prove he's the real deal. Another that might just fit the mould of a holding midfielder who can pass the ball might be Fimpong, but I've really not seen enough to know if he is or not.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jun 2012 14:44

Royal Rother It'd be interesting to get an honest opinion from a player about Rooney's contribution.

In the same way many of the fans do, I suspect the players have an expectation of what he can do and when he proves woefully incapable of doing that their heads might go down. Just a fraction maybe, but enough to have a detrimental impact on their performance as well.

I think that's a good point.

I played with a couple of players who could really lift a side with their performances, but occaissionally we looked too much to them for the match winning moments. Henry leaving Arsenal was the making of a few players it seems, van Persie expecially, and perhaps Rooney just gives them a bit of an excuse to shirk a bit of responsibility.

Ashley Young was the biggest disapointment for me though. He might've been carrying a knock in the game last night but his performances throughout the tournament were so under par it's scary. I do put a lot of that down to the clubs and media's treatment of our players which means they don't have to be self sufficient enough on or off the pitch. That can't help their mental toughness.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jun 2012 15:13

Hoop Blah
cmonurz If we had someone genuinely banging on the door (an Oxlade-Chamberlain or Wilshere of a forward, for example) I’d be all for Rooney being a ‘squad player’, but we don’t.

In terms of replacing Rooney, I think Oxlade-Chamberlain is probably the next contender. Sturridge and Conner Wickham are maybe the two currently knocking on the door to get a game as genuine forwards, but they've got quite a way to go yet to be a viable alternative.

There do seem to be some interesting young midfielders coming though though. I'm hoping to see a lot more of Ross Barkley at Everton this season, and of course Wilshire needs to prove he's the real deal. Another that might just fit the mould of a holding midfielder who can pass the ball might be Fimpong, but I've really not seen enough to know if he is or not.

Is that the Barkley who played at Burnley? He looked a cracking prospect. Great control, good passing range, brutal strength and a quality engine for getting him up and down the pitch.

I think it's a big problem culturally that we look to one or maybe two players to win us the game. We under appreciate those who do the dirty work solidly and consistently - see Milner, Downing, Parker and expect our "star" players to go out and win a game on their own. That must filter through to the rest of the team.

Those players then are closely marked and under excruciating pressure and fail. Is it any wonder Gerrard has a great tournament the first one where he's basically be written off and not hailed as a game winner for us?

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 25 Jun 2012 16:20

Rodwell is another one who could be close to the first-team squad, whether at CB or in DM.

Problem now is whether to start afresh or keep faith in the old guard. Gerrard will be 34 at the next World Cup, Lampard 36, Terry 33, Cole 33, Parker 33, Barry 33...

FWIW my team in 2014 (spin-off thread?)

-----------------Hart----------------
Walker----Jones----Cahill----Cole
-------Rodwell-----Wilshere-------
Ox-C---------Rooney--------Young
-------------Welbeck---------------

Richards and Johnson are two I want to see more of in the next two years please (NB Mr Mancini). Sturridge, Cleverley, Smalling, Henderson, McEachran, Walcott, Barkley could also be closer to the starting XI in 2 years' time

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jun 2012 16:37

I would like to see us out with the old and blood the youngsters - i.e. focus far more on Euro 2016 than qualification for WC 2014.

But of course that's pie in the sky because the FA can't allow Hodgson to plan long-term and in doing so put qualification for Brazil at risk.

The 33 year olds and above should not play again - except possibly Cole because he still looks like he'll be fit and capable in 2 years time (and not convinced we have anyone anywhere close to his ability in that position).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jun 2012 16:45

I think chilipepper's team will be somewhere close to where we're heading. I think Lescott might be here to stay for a while though. He's had a very good tournament and until Jones and Smalling play week-in week-out at centre half they probably won't be able to get in ahead of him and Cahill.

I'm not convinced by Rodwell, and we do need a forward or two to come through and spearhead our attack (Carroll will be one of those options, but I think I agree with whoever said he might just be the plan B and not plan A).

I'd also agree that last night will probably be last major contribution for a number of those involved and some of those left behind. It is time to bring in more of a younger generation.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 25 Jun 2012 16:48

It's pretty obvious that if England are going to succeed at a major international tournament we need:

1) more patriotic players
2) louder signing of the national anthem.

If these problems aren't corrected we'll be lagging behind the likes of Italy for years to come.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Jun 2012 18:43

RTG - Rooney Tinted Glasses - he's world class, just unlucky, not quite fit and everyone has a bad game
STG - Shrek Tinted Glasses - he's a liability, he's not fit because he ruled himself out of playing enough games and he's having a succession of bad games

I'm an STG

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Jun 2012 13:18

Royal Rother I would like to see us out with the old and blood the youngsters - i.e. focus far more on Euro 2016 than qualification for WC 2014.

But of course that's pie in the sky because the FA can't allow Hodgson to plan long-term and in doing so put qualification for Brazil at risk.

The 33 year olds and above should not play again - except possibly Cole because he still looks like he'll be fit and capable in 2 years time (and not convinced we have anyone anywhere close to his ability in that position).

100% agree. The Germans kind of did it by pensioning Ballack and co off and putting their faith in a new breed under Joachim Low.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 26 Jun 2012 13:21

Royal Rother I would like to see us out with the old and blood the youngsters - i.e. focus far more on Euro 2016 than qualification for WC 2014.

Weren't people saying to focus on 2014 rather than worrying about the Euros? :|

As for Cole, best left back in the world, but Bertrand and Baines look capable at the moment let alone in two years.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jun 2012 13:43

Hodgson has already said that he see's now as the time for a revolution in the squad and a real changing of the guard.

It sounds like he'll be keeping Gerrard on as captain, but I think we'll see a fresh look to the squad for the next game, a friendly v Italy apaprently.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Jun 2012 16:19

Hoop Blah Hodgson has already said that he see's now as the time for a revolution in the squad and a real changing of the guard.

It sounds like he'll be keeping Gerrard on as captain, but I think we'll see a fresh look to the squad for the next game, a friendly v Italy apaprently.

Hope so. And he's made an encouraging start in proving he can make brave decisions by dropping Rio. If that was for political reasons, it was an iffy decision. If it was for football reasons it was spot on, because Terry > Rio. Realistically speaking, it was probably a bit of both. Neither will be around in 2014 anyway.

LoyalRoyalFan Weren't people saying to focus on 2014 rather than worrying about the Euros? :|

Yes, but Roy had a matter of weeks to work with the squad thanks to the ludicrous reasoning behind Capello's departure. He could hardly throw in a whole host of new names. It was the final, final hurrah for the likes of Gerrard, Terry (and possibly Cole). Yeah, cheerio.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jun 2012 18:26

The only thing about Rio (from my limited PL knowledge) is that he is (or was) far better able to bring the ball out of defence than the other candidates, which is something we lack a little IMO.

I suspect Roy didn't want the headache of both in the team and Rio's back issues made that decision easy for him.

I'd too like to see the back of the likes of Terry, Barry, Lampard and Ferdinand from the squad. I'd also like to see Gerrard & Cole used in a squad role more than guaranteed starters, if they have to be there. And I think we should be looking at developing an effective team without Rooney as a back up too.

Put together a young hungry squad to qualify for the World Cup and see how they go. We've already got tournament experience in the likes of Hart, Ox, Walcott, Young, Lescott, Carroll & Welbeck now.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Jun 2012 11:24

I think we should develop a 1st team without Rooney.

Very decent club player still but the guy is past his best, and he ain't ever getting it back.

Not surprising really - he has played an awful lot of games since being a youngster and his build just isn't conducive to that.

PS Rio WAS better at carrying the ball out of defence but he pretty much stopped doing that a few years ago.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 28 Jun 2012 22:35

Think Rooney could be a very good number 9 for his country if he could somehow curb his enthusiasm/ego and stick to that role. The way the game is at the moment you probably need three in the middle - just to counter the other teams if nothing else - and as one of the country's best finishers (recent(?) international performances notwithstanding) Wayne is probably wasted outside the box.

As such he isn't as irreplaceable as was once believed but will still be pretty important for the next few championships for his experience at the very least. I'm not trying very hard but I can't think of an enormous number of young English strikers better than him.

The bigger question of course is who is going to give the ball to the striker; how old will Scholes be in 2014...?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Aug 2012 13:42

Has Fergie decided the time to offload is approaching?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Mar 2013 17:00

Maybe.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 06 Mar 2013 18:32

I'm not one for saying I have inside information (mainly becuase I never do have inside information) but for once I do and so I'm going to say...I have inside information.

I was told about about 18 months ago by someone who would definitely know the situation that Ferguson was distraught (that word again!) at losing Ronaldo (I think we all knew that) but would not have been anywhere near as bothered about losing Wooney. Yes, didn't want to lose him but it wouldn't have been the disaster that he feared it was in respect of Ronaldo.

Perhaps with the passage of time that's not such a revelation but it was to me when I was told it 18 months ago.

Royalist

by Royalist » 06 Mar 2013 22:11

It seems most people have forgotten he put out a statement he was going to leave the club and fans were camped outside his house! This is nothing next to that!