Weekend Football

6098 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Weekend Football

by Clyde1998 » 30 May 2024 14:45

South Coast Royal On "new Wembley" I find it a bit odd that there are stats for a ground/pitch in the same area with the same status as it has always had.
Will Spurs produce stats for their revamped ground or Liverpool after the new stand opened?

Tottenham categorise their ground as a new stadium, despite being on the same site.

I don't think any of Old Trafford (for example) exists from when it first opened, but due to the nature of the redevelopments (largely one stand at a time) it's considered the same stadium. Hampden Park was completely rebuilt in the 1990s and isn't considered a new stadium, but the Millennium Stadium (which was basically a rebuilt National Stadium at Cardiff Arms Park) is considered a new stadium (incidentally, according to the Wikipedia article, the National Stadium was built on the site of another pre-existing stadium).

Even more interestingly*, the old Wembley had redevelopment in the 60s (ahead of the 1966 World Cup). It was referred to as the new Wembley when all they appeared to do was add a roof for the whole stadium and some press/TV boxes:

Does pose an interesting question: when should a ground be considered completely separate after redevelopment? Some sort of Ship of Theseus question.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 May 2024 15:21

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 May 2024 15:37

Only an opinion, but in order for it to be considered a new stadium I would suggest that the original would need to have been levelled and started again.
Otherwise, it strikes me as a development

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 May 2024 16:24

To Vic's point, of course the stat doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, it's just an interesting one. The first match after Wembley's reopening was played 17 years ago this month, and one of the teams involved, Kidderminster Harriers, isn't even in the league any more. I was surprised that 88 of the 92 current teams have managed to play there in that time, given that it is reserved for cup and play-off finals.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 May 2024 16:45

Sanguine To Vic's point, of course the stat doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, it's just an interesting one. The first match after Wembley's reopening was played 17 years ago this month, and one of the teams involved, Kidderminster Harriers, isn't even in the league any more. I was surprised that 88 of the 92 current teams have managed to play there in that time, given that it is reserved for cup and play-off finals.

Similarly, Harrogate Town played in the FA Trophy there in 2020 as well as the National league play-off final, but no EFL play-offs.

Having one National League team go up via Wembley each year skews the figures slightly.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 30 May 2024 18:04

Clyde1998 Hampden Park was completely rebuilt in the 1990s and isn't considered a new stadium, but the Millennium Stadium (which was basically a rebuilt National Stadium at Cardiff Arms Park) is considered a new stadium (incidentally, according to the Wikipedia article, the National Stadium was built on the site of another pre-existing stadium).

The current Cardiff Arms Park actually sits right next to the Principality Stadium. Cardiff Blues use it for rugby, plus there's a bowling green. Something rather nice about 2 stadia sat next to each other. Turf Moor and Burnley Cricket Club is a decent set-up. Probably used to be loads more before space and capacity became an issue.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 May 2024 21:40

Whore Jackie
Clyde1998 Hampden Park was completely rebuilt in the 1990s and isn't considered a new stadium, but the Millennium Stadium (which was basically a rebuilt National Stadium at Cardiff Arms Park) is considered a new stadium (incidentally, according to the Wikipedia article, the National Stadium was built on the site of another pre-existing stadium).

The current Cardiff Arms Park actually sits right next to the Principality Stadium. Cardiff Blues use it for rugby, plus there's a bowling green. Something rather nice about 2 stadia sat next to each other. Turf Moor and Burnley Cricket Club is a decent set-up. Probably used to be loads more before space and capacity became an issue.

Bramall Lane. The County Ground (Northampton), Feethams and Bradford Park Avenue were all joint football/cricket grounds or they shared a double-sided stand (as Headingley still does, with Leeds Rugby League). There's something just wonderful about that idea,

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 May 2024 19:44

Dirk Gently as Headingley still does, with Leeds Rugby League

Ffs, how can I be as huge a cricket fan as I am and not have known this?! :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jun 2024 22:55

Cristiano Ronaldo bawls his eyes out after Al Nassr end the season without a trophy having lost the King’s Cup final in a penalty shootout. What a shame.

Must have been a helluva bonus he missed out on then.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Jun 2024 10:45

Sanguine

Was the phrase "bowling from the Football Stand End" not a clue? ;-)

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 03 Jun 2024 14:10

Dirk Gently
Sanguine

Well, that and every overhead TV shot clearly showing it.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Jun 2024 18:25

6ft Kerplunk
Dirk Gently
Sanguine

Well, that and every overhead TV shot clearly showing it.

Never been there then, I assume?!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jun 2024 13:24

Dirk Gently
Sanguine

Isn't that a euphemism?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jun 2024 08:41

Whore Jackie

I visited the National Stadium at CAP before it was demolished (and played on the pitch - luck of knowing the then groundsman) and there was one concourse where you could access the National Stadium stands/pitch on one side and get into the Arms Park on the other. Not sure if that still exists since the rebuild.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jun 2024 09:21

Off to Wembley Friday night - game is sold out i understand.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jun 2024 13:37

paultheroyal Off to Wembley Friday night - game is sold out i understand.

Presumably as it is just a kick about friendly the tickets were £20 or so ? :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jun 2024 15:38

South Coast Royal

Presumably as it is just a kick about friendly the tickets were £20 or so ? :wink:

£35 i think we paid and half that for kids.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Jun 2024 15:44

paultheroyal
South Coast Royal

£35 i think we paid and half that for kids.

Not so bad then for Wembley.

6098 posts