The Gylfi thread.

2243 posts
Cypry

Re: gylfi,just say no!!!

by Cypry » 28 May 2012 13:30

tilehurstender surely we should be able to better any offer Swansea could make????

What makes you think that?
Swansea are a similar sized club to us, will have a similar income in most aspects, and they're in their second year in the Prem with a fairly settled squad and probably won't see many players other than Sig inbound this Summer.
We will likely have a similar budget (not sure why people seem to think TSI will be injecting huge sums of cash - all along we've been told this was unlikely to be the case...), but we'll have to strengthen in a lot more areas than Swansea - Brain has already said four or five players coming in....

Yes, income does increase a lot in the PL, but it's (only) £40M or thereabouts in the first year.

Let's take SIg, cost us around £7M to Hoffenheim, plus his salary of around £2M, plus agents fees etc etc - you'd be talking about £10M or thereabouts, on one player - that's 25% of the additional income.......!!

Then we'd need a minimum of 3 or 4 other players, going to be at least another £10M there....another 25%

What else do we need to spend? Salaries will go up undoubtedly, last time in the Prem our wage bill was around £28M, so that would be an increase of £8M (not including SIgs wages whoops there goes another 20% of additional income).....let's build a new training ground (few £M there), additional expenses incurred through being in the PL (additional policing etc), contingency for January signings if needed etc etc etc....

£40M isn't really very much when you think about it.....

If we're going to spend £10M (as we would have to with Sig) I'd prefer it to be spent on 2 or 3 signings (like Marriapa for example) to give us real strength in depth, rather than one "marquee" signing, who could quite feasibly pick up an injury early on and be out for the rest of the season.......

I'd still be happy to see him back, but if I'm honest I can't see it happening. Swansea have a significant advantage in being able to throw more of their Prem income at a "marquee" signing, so I find it no surprise that at present they're in pole position to take him...

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Gylfi on sale for £6m

by Royal With Cheese » 28 May 2012 13:30

blueroyals
andrew1957 It has been established that we have a sell on fee re Gylfi, but as this is likely to be on profit and as the profit will be zero or negligible on this sale we will get little or nothing.

I just wondered what happens if Swansea sell him on in a year of two for say 20M. Would we get a cut - or does the sell on fee only apply to the first sale only.
Anyone know?

We'd get fcuk all.

I suspect you're right but would need corrobarated by someone who knows what he's talking about.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 28 May 2012 13:32

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news ... witch.html

Swansea City have confirmed that they have agreed the permanent signing of midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, subject to a medical.

The Swans have finalised terms with the 22-year-old after a £6.8m offer was accepted by Germany side Hoffenheim and Sigurdsson is expected to undergo a medical this week.

Good work BigMike, good work :roll:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 May 2012 13:33

Royal With Cheese
blueroyals
andrew1957 It has been established that we have a sell on fee re Gylfi, but as this is likely to be on profit and as the profit will be zero or negligible on this sale we will get little or nothing.

I just wondered what happens if Swansea sell him on in a year of two for say 20M. Would we get a cut - or does the sell on fee only apply to the first sale only.
Anyone know?

We'd get fcuk all.

I suspect you're right but would need corrobarated by someone who knows what he's talking about.

Yes probably - except that I recall that when one of our ex academy players (possibly Tyson) was sold on for a second time we got a big cut. Could possibly have had something to do with the under 24 rule?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by bigmike » 28 May 2012 13:43

HoneyRoastHoax
bigmike I believe the biggest stumbling block may well be the Wages and Reading would have to break their wage budget if they wanted to sign him .

I also wouldnt rule out another club a Big one coming in for him as hes certainly better than Swansea and Reading.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on wage budgets, they were worked out on ownership of Sir John. When the new owners take charge (optomist) budgets will be different.

I think its safe to say Gylfi has gone to swansea, money agreed, terms agreed, he said he would like to stay in swansea (god knows why) its pretty much nailed on.

Your mates going to take a bashing after this claim

I dont see how he can take a Bashing being that all was said is that there is currently a deal for Gylfi on the table. Apparently he didnt say who the deal was with :roll:

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 28 May 2012 13:44

Disappointing, Gylfi deserves better

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 28 May 2012 13:47

bigmike
HoneyRoastHoax
bigmike I believe the biggest stumbling block may well be the Wages and Reading would have to break their wage budget if they wanted to sign him .

I also wouldnt rule out another club a Big one coming in for him as hes certainly better than Swansea and Reading.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on wage budgets, they were worked out on ownership of Sir John. When the new owners take charge (optomist) budgets will be different.

I think its safe to say Gylfi has gone to swansea, money agreed, terms agreed, he said he would like to stay in swansea (god knows why) its pretty much nailed on.

I dont see how he can take a Bashing being that all was said is that there is currently a deal for Gylfi on the table. Apparently he didnt say who the deal was with :roll:

Because you are saying stuff like "I have it on Good Authority that this will happen Tomorrow.. My source has also advised me that there is currently a deal being worked on for Gylfi Sigguardsson" on the team board ie Reading Fc news. I couldn't give a flapping fluck about other teams.

back track back track back track back track :lol:

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 28 May 2012 13:50

HoneyRoastHoax
Because you are saying stuff like "I have it on Good Authority that this will happen Tomorrow.. My source has also advised me that there is currently a deal being worked on for Gylfi Sigguardsson" on the team board ie Reading Fc news. I couldn't give a flapping fluck about other teams.

back track back track back track back track :lol:

Fair enough .. currently a deal being worked on not Reading will sign.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 May 2012 13:52

bigmike I have it on Good Authority that this will happen Tomorrow.. My source has also advised me that there is currently a deal being worked on for Gylfi Sigguardsson

Despite THIS (Swansea OS):

A club record offer of £6.8million has been accepted by the German club, and the 22-year-old is expected in Swansea later this week to undergo a medical before the move is confirmed.

The club are delighted to have agreed terms with both player and club following Sigurdsson's hugely successful loan spell last season.

Not impossible.

The phrasing doesn't say "has signed" or even "agreed to sign"
and it could be (just) a Tommy Smith situation.

If there was a Gylfisigning Rougeometer, it would be about 3%, but that's better than 0%

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 May 2012 13:53

bigmike ok and how did they do that without there being a deal on the table for him ?? :lol:

Also just because terms have been agreed doesnt mean that theres not a deal being worked on him from another team.

Tommy Smith agreed terms but he ended up at portsmouth

and hasn't Mariappa agreed terms, but...?

Bring Back The SB

by Bring Back The SB » 28 May 2012 13:54

HoneyRoastHoax

Me me me me me look at me look at me me me me me.

HoneyRoastHoax, if you have nothing to add to the post, don't add anything. Bigmike is allowed to share what he knows and all the signs are that the TSI deal will be announced soon.

Grow up.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 May 2012 13:55

I would also have said that while terms and a deal has been agreed for Gylfi things are a little unsure as there is a very strong rumour that Brendan is going to decamp to Liverpool which, if this was true, would mean that Gylfi would very much be wanted there so my guess would be that Gylfi wouldn't finally sign until things were assured about who's going where.

Also, let's not forget, that even if Reading did try to "Portsmouth" the deal, that Gylfi may now prefer Swansea to Reading.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 May 2012 13:56

If we matched Swansea's offer, the sell-on fee would allow us to pay a bit of extra wages or a signing on fee
to compensate a la Stoke

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 28 May 2012 13:57

Bring Back The SB
HoneyRoastHoax

Me me me me me look at me look at me me me me me.

HoneyRoastHoax, if you have nothing to add to the post, don't add anything. Bigmike is allowed to share what he knows and all the signs are that the TSI deal will be announced soon.

Grow up.

if someone stakes a big claim and its being proved wrong by the worlds media you can point it out. Idjut

Why you get angsty I have no idea. BigMike is doing nothing wrong and hes BigMike he can take banter, you on the other hand are a smeghead

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 28 May 2012 13:58

Barry the bird boggler Gylfi may now prefer Swansea to Reading.

:cry:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

gylfi

by Snowball » 28 May 2012 14:01

Barry the bird boggler I would also have said that while terms and a deal has been agreed for Gylfi things are a little unsure as there is a very strong rumour that Brendan is going to decamp to Liverpool which, if this was true, would mean that Gylfi would very much be wanted there so my guess would be that Gylfi wouldn't finally sign until things were assured about who's going where.

Also, let's not forget, that even if Reading did try to "Portsmouth" the deal, that Gylfi may now prefer Swansea to Reading.

Gylfi could well be stalling:

1. To follow Rodgers to Merseyside

2. To see if Rodgers goes but doesn't want him at Liverpool (unlikely, but possible, maybe killing Swans deal and giving us hope)

3. To "just take a look at" what RFC would offer (if they are negotiating...)

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 28 May 2012 14:02

Swansea really? I don't think this whole thing should be about us or Swansea, he is a fantastic player. Really surprised someone like Arsenal haven't come in and taken the opportunity at, in today's financial climate, would just be a cheeky 7 million.

Great signing Swansea, unbelievably jealous of them that I'm starting to dislike them :x

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 28 May 2012 14:04

Snowball
Barry the bird boggler I would also have said that while terms and a deal has been agreed for Gylfi things are a little unsure as there is a very strong rumour that Brendan is going to decamp to Liverpool which, if this was true, would mean that Gylfi would very much be wanted there so my guess would be that Gylfi wouldn't finally sign until things were assured about who's going where.

Gylfi could well be stalling:

1. To follow Rodgers to Merseyside

2. To see if Rodgers goes but doesn't want him at Liverpool (unlikely, but possible, maybe killing Swans deal and giving us hope)

3. To "just take a look at" what RFC would offer (if they are negotiating...)

If the move to Swansea was a done deal wouldnt they have announced that he had signed a contract that as of 1st June 2012 he will be a Swansea player?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 May 2012 14:05

I just cannot help thinking that someone else will come in at the eleventh hour and scupper the Swansea deal.

The only thing I can think is that Siggy thinks another successful season with Swansea (whether they survive or not) will mean a big move for him next summer.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 28 May 2012 14:09

Snowball

If we matched Swansea's offer, the sell-on fee would allow us to pay a bit of extra wages or a signing on fee
to compensate a la Stoke

The sell-on is based on profit only. So we would get about £100k :roll: :lol:

2243 posts