The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8886 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Stranded » 07 Sep 2022 14:03

Ascotexgunner
Stranded Potter apparently has a release clause in his deal if a club are willing to pay it, he gets permission to talk. Seen 20m quoted.

No guarantee he'll take it. Excellent manager who deserves a top job but not sure it is the right one given Chelsea's history of changing manager quickly. At the same time, if you don't take a top job when offered, you may never get one and naturally if he stays and Brighton fall away in a season or two, then his stock will be lower and he could be out on his ear from there.

Luton fans getting nervous as they belive if Potter does go, then Brighton will be after Jones.

Release clause is 17 mill apparently. He had a 6 year deal at Brighton. So they buy that out as well.
God, fancy being Brighton's owner. Get up this morning, world's great, then it's turned on its head completely, you've lost your biggest asset and now your gonna scratch around for a replacement. It's all wrong really.
They shouldn't allow managers to be replaced during the season. If you sack your manager that should be it. Caretaker only.

Agreed, it seems weird that players are only allowed to change clubs at certain time but a manager, who in many cases can be more important that the players, can move at any time.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 07 Sep 2022 14:05

Backed Poch at 3/1 various times this morning for this as he's been on my radar for this job for a while. London based, proven at Premier League and Champions League. I have nothing against Potter and believe he is a very good coach but I wonder how much of the structure behind the scenes has enabled him to flurish? Bloom is a genius and Ashworth prior to leaving was as reliable as any DOF you could get in the Premier League.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Sep 2022 15:42

Got to be Dyche surely?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Sep 2022 15:57

genome Potter in talks.

Shades of Coppell in a Brighton manager moving to a much bigger club

Lol. Might have to reactivate my NSC account just to drop this on them.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Sep 2022 19:53

RG30 Backed Poch at 3/1 various times this morning for this as he's been on my radar for this job for a while. London based, proven at Premier League and Champions League. I have nothing against Potter and believe he is a very good coach but I wonder how much of the structure behind the scenes has enabled him to flurish? Bloom is a genius and Ashworth prior to leaving was as reliable as any DOF you could get in the Premier League.

By "proven" do you mean blowing winning the Premier League and finishing third in a two horse race?
Or stinking out the Champions League final having had endless luck getting there, or looking absolutely clueless at PSG and standing there in the pouring rain in the CL against City doing nothing, and the big names seemingly doing their own thing on the pitch, whilst getting trounced and undisciplined.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Sep 2022 20:49

Being reported that Potter has agreed to join Chelsea

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Sep 2022 08:06

Winston Biscuit Being reported that Potter has agreed to join Chelsea

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Sep 2022 08:54

5 year deal (probably), see out two and get paid up the rest
What’s not to like ?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Sep 2022 09:12

As much as I agree that it might be a dodgy role to take, you can't turn down Chelsea really, a Champions League club, and not least when I'm sure Potter will have in mind the England job at some point/when Southgate is done.

Some suggestion that Mac Allister will follow Potter to Chelsea during the mid-season window.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Sep 2022 10:16

RG30 Backed Poch at 3/1 various times this morning for this as he's been on my radar for this job for a while. London based, proven at Premier League and Champions League. I have nothing against Potter and believe he is a very good coach but I wonder how much of the structure behind the scenes has enabled him to flurish? Bloom is a genius and Ashworth prior to leaving was as reliable as any DOF you could get in the Premier League.

Oops

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Sep 2022 11:20

It’s a tough one for Potter, he is massively over achieving at the moment and sometimes it’s better to move whilst your stock is high (something I guess Rodgers will find out once he inevitably goes)

On the other hand, Chelsea aren’t renown for staying patient with their managers, as per their turnover rate. Potter very much took Brighton over as a “project” and as such, it took them a while to really get going (sure there were a few grumbles of Potter out amongst the Albion fans at points along the journey). Not sure he’ll be afforded the same luxury at Chelsea

Also believe Brighton were top after 5/6 games last season before hitting a poor run of form. Think he’ll be better off staying there but can see the reasoning both ways

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 08 Sep 2022 11:58

URZZZZ It’s a tough one for Potter, he is massively over achieving at the moment

Is he? Or is he a very good manager who has got his team doing better than expected because of his managerial skills. He's been managing for over a decade so its not like he isn't proven over time. But I guess its difficult to know if the methods he's used so far will translate to going into one of the top four clubs.
He must have one eye on the England job as I could see Southgate deciding after the world cup that he's done.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Sep 2022 12:28

I look forward to him becoming Spurs manager in 2-3 years time.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 08 Sep 2022 12:46

Sanguine As much as I agree that it might be a dodgy role to take, you can't turn down Chelsea really, a Champions League club, and not least when I'm sure Potter will have in mind the England job at some point/when Southgate is done.

Some suggestion that Mac Allister will follow Potter to Chelsea during the mid-season window.

I believe that would be their first Scottish player since Pat Nevin?

*Know he's Argentinian, but his surname always makes me chuckle. And, of course, Billy Gilmour, now ironically at Brighton.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Sep 2022 12:52

6ft Kerplunk
URZZZZ It’s a tough one for Potter, he is massively over achieving at the moment

Is he? Or is he a very good manager who has got his team doing better than expected because of his managerial skills. He's been managing for over a decade so its not like he isn't proven over time. But I guess its difficult to know if the methods he's used so far will translate to going into one of the top four clubs.
He must have one eye on the England job as I could see Southgate deciding after the world cup that he's done.

Relative to Brighton’s expectations, then I’d say the club are overachieving. One of those teams Brighton, like Palace who are stuck in a position between the top 6 and the lower mid table sides

Would compare the situation a little bit to Moyes - different play styles and different situation in which he took the club over but that move to United almost killed his career, became the laughing stock of football after having built up a very strong reputation at Everton

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2022 12:54

genome I look forward to him becoming Spurs manager in 2-3 years time.

:D

Off the top of my head:

Jose
AVB
Conte

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Sep 2022 12:57

Hendo

Off the top of my head:

Jose
AVB
Conte

Hoddle

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2022 13:01

genome
Hendo

Off the top of my head:

Jose
AVB
Conte

Hoddle

Of course!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Sep 2022 13:34

Whore Jackie
Sanguine As much as I agree that it might be a dodgy role to take, you can't turn down Chelsea really, a Champions League club, and not least when I'm sure Potter will have in mind the England job at some point/when Southgate is done.

I believe that would be their first Scottish player since Pat Nevin?

*Know he's Argentinian, but his surname always makes me chuckle. And, of course, Billy Gilmour, now ironically at Brighton.

Macallister has brothers called Kevin and Francis both are also footballers. A Kevin McAllister played 106 league games for Chelsea in the late 80s….

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Sep 2022 13:40

His Dad (Carlos) played for Argentina, too.

8886 posts