The generic transfer thread

10573 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: The January transfer thread

by winchester_royal » 24 Jan 2011 14:45

TBM
soggy biscuit Charlie Adam hands in a transfer request.

Liverpool rumoured to be upping ther bid to £5M

Cant blame him really.....i know Liverpool are shite at the moment, if i were a player i would rather be there than Blackpool. Especially considering next season he could well be shite for Blackpool and nobody then want him

You can't blame him? :|

Any player that goes out of their way to make sure their club gets a lower price for them than they would otherwise, especially when said club gave him a chance to revive what was a dormant career, is a pcunt IMHO.

He's captain as well. :|

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 24 Jan 2011 14:48

winchester_royal
TBM
soggy biscuit Charlie Adam hands in a transfer request.

Liverpool rumoured to be upping ther bid to £5M

Cant blame him really.....i know Liverpool are shite at the moment, if i were a player i would rather be there than Blackpool. Especially considering next season he could well be shite for Blackpool and nobody then want him

You can't blame him? :|

Any player that goes out of their way to make sure their club gets a lower price for them than they would otherwise, especially when said club gave him a chance to revive what was a dormant career, is a pcunt IMHO.

He's captain as well. :|

Maybe its karma for them offering Plymouth £20k for BWP :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jan 2011 15:14

Maybe it's influenced by Adam having to take them to court over an unpaid bonus of £20k for not getting relegated last season!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 24 Jan 2011 15:31

Luis Suarez to Liverpool seems to be the on off on off on off deal of the window - Ajax apparently holding out for £30m, so Comolli has flown home in a strop. Still expect Suarez to go to Liverpool for around £25m (or £20m + Babel) some time this week.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 24 Jan 2011 15:51

Is Suarez really worth 20-30 million? Liverpool would be better of buying 3 or 4 experienced Premier League players rather than untested foreigners.

Parker, Nolan, Downing etc.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jan 2011 16:01

Parker and Young would be good additions for Liverpool yes, but they need a top draw forward or two to fit in alongside Torres now and convince him, and themselves as a club I guess, that they can attract the better players still.

If Torres see's them bring in, for example, Parker, Adam and a winger, and so still rely on him at the business end of the pitch then it won't do much to make him want to stay.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 24 Jan 2011 16:26

If I were Liverpool my biggest concern, in weighing up his value, is how he will cope with the switch to the English leagues. He has 80-odd goals in 100 games for Ajax, and has scored 16 in 38 caps for Uruguay, so unproven he isn't, but they bought a similar player in Dirk Kuyt from the Dutch league a few years back, and he has never got close to that scoring rate again, and is now used as a winger.

Guardian says Liverpool don't want to pay more than £18m, Ajax holding out for £25m.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 24 Jan 2011 16:35

I'm still fuming with Suarez after the World Cup and, more recently, his biting. I don't really want that sort of player in England.

Despite that, he's class. He scored 49 in all competitions last season. Even in the Dutch league, that's incredible. He played well in the World Cup which suggested he can step up to a higher level. You can't blame him for only playing the in Dutch league; his record there is truly exceptional and there's not much more he could do to get a move away. I think he could step up to Liverpool. It's a high price though; Liverpool probably couldn't bring in anybody else in this transfer window if they do it.

Considering that their squad has weaknesses all over, maybe it wouldn't be so shrewd now.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Jan 2011 16:45

Kezman had a gr8 goalscoring record in the dutch league...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 24 Jan 2011 16:47

No Fixed Abode Kezman had a gr8 goalscoring record in the dutch league...

CheLOLsea

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jan 2011 16:55

I think a lot of it depends on what kind of player he is and what sort of goals he scores. I can't remember him from the World Cup and I've not watch any of the Dutch league so I've no idea.

The problem with Kuyt is that he wasn't a proper goalscorer as such. He was always more like a Mark Hughes type of centre forward who just happened to chip in with a lot of goals in Holland because he was that good. You can't usually keep that up if you're not scoring poachers goals or making them for yourself by beating men etc.

Van Nistlerooy was a pure goalscorer and he could keep scoring goals in a good side in good league because that's what he was all about.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 25 Jan 2011 21:22

Chelsea have had a £52m bid for Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero and defender Diego Godin rejected.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9373739.stm

Thoughts, not-Kes?

heathrow royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: As seen on Soccer AM and somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton airport!!!

by heathrow royal » 25 Jan 2011 21:25

Adebayor joins real madrid on loan for the rest of the season with an option to sign him in the summer

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 25 Jan 2011 23:09

TBM
prostak Dunno - how many Arsenal players are or have been!??

Off the top of my head: Seaman, Adams, Dixon, Keown, Campbell, Wright, Cole, Walcott....

Then you have Wilshere and Gibbs looking likely to make it too

Sorry to resurrect this, just noticed it. For which club was Wilshire's last PL game before his England debut? Gibbs is likely to make it purely due to a dearth of talent in his position. I'm not sure the relevance of your list, either, given how some of those broke into the England team a quarter of a century ago. If we're including players from other eras, can I have Nat Lofthouse and Eddie Hopkinson?

My point is this - Cahill will be playing against the same strikers whether he's at Bolton or Arsenal, save for European competition. He's guaranteed regular first-team games at his current club, while he might reasonably expect to feature in half of Arsenal or Chelsea's games. And one legacy of Fat Sam is the notion that if you can't afford the best players, you at least ought to invest in the best facilities, so I'd be surprised if Arsenal's training ground is significantly better. Above all, regardless of my affections for Bolton, I'm firmly against the trend for the big 3(.5) to acquire all the league's best talent, and definitely don't think the international game should be a priority.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jan 2011 22:12

Playing in the top European competition is a big step up and means your proving yourself at the top level (it's now generally above that of international football).

I think the most important aspect of making the move from a Bolton to an Arsenal or Chelsea is dealing with the expectations, pressure, scrutiny and higher standards of consistency that are needed to compete for those clubs. A player can get away with more bad games or mistakes at a Bolton as they don't expect to be winning every week. The pressure to be as faultless as you can be, and for teams to be at their best against you, separates the men from the boys.

On the flip side, there isn't any substitute for playing week in week out, but it's getting that balance right. Look at Bentley. He looked outstanding at Blackburn where he was playing every week, and in his comfort zone, and could afford the odd poorer game. When he stepped up a level again to Spurs, with greater expectations and more competiton he couldn't hold down a place.

If he had he'd have probably proved to be good enough to keep his place in the England squad.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 28 Jan 2011 08:30

Liverpool reject £35M offer for Fernando Torres from CheLOLsea

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jan 2011 11:29

Gary O'Neil to West Ham is a good one for them. Another player we apparently looked at but decided against when he moved north to 'Boro.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 28 Jan 2011 12:22

soggy biscuit Liverpool reject £35M offer for Fernando Torres from CheLOLsea

See, i think this is just mind games from Chelsea towards Athletico Madrid. Having failed with a £52 million swoop for Sergio Aguero and Diego Godin - i reckon they put in a cheeky £35m bid for Torres to say to Athletico "fine, if you wont sell us Aguero, we'll go for Torres instead".

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 28 Jan 2011 12:25

Kris Commons has joined Celtic for £500k

Kick in the teeth for Derby but he was out of contract at the end of the season and i doubt would have signed a new one

daswonder

by daswonder » 28 Jan 2011 12:28

Reports of the bid for Aguero and Godin by Chelsea are false.

Sid Lowe, the Spanish football correspondent for the guardian has come out in the last few days saying that the Atleti owner and director Marin is known to be a liar and is doing this as publicity to reassure their fans that they have Aguero's immediate future in control

10573 posts