Likes and dislikes

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Likes and dislikes

by Hendo » 17 Feb 2023 11:06

NathStPaul
Hendo
NathStPaul On a slightly different note, is Paul Gascoigne the only prominent English player to be better known and referred to by their nickname? Probably missing someone obvious.

Maybe Becks?

Although loads of people will still know him/refer to him as "Beckham"

I guess Stuart Pearce would qualify. I definitely remember him being referred to as "Psycho" on commentary and in punditry. Not sure you'd get away with that nickname today.

Yeah, probably not :lol:

Obviously not in the wider media, but I would, and I know a lot of other people did as well, always refer to Glenn Little as "Blakey"

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 17 Feb 2023 11:20

Sergio Aguero - Kun? Whatever his name was - Chicharito?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 Feb 2023 11:25

I bloody wish Sergio Aguero was a prominent English player! :D

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 17 Feb 2023 11:31

NathStPaul I bloody wish Sergio Aguero was a prominent English player! :D

Ah...missed that!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 17 Feb 2023 11:33

Hendo
NathStPaul
Hendo
Maybe Becks?

Although loads of people will still know him/refer to him as "Beckham"

I guess Stuart Pearce would qualify. I definitely remember him being referred to as "Psycho" on commentary and in punditry. Not sure you'd get away with that nickname today.

Yeah, probably not :lol:

Obviously not in the wider media, but I would, and I know a lot of other people did as well, always refer to Glenn Little as "Blakey"

From a Reading perspective only there are a few who come to mind that are immediately recognised by their first names,, names that are fairly ordinary and not your Yakous, Ibrahima, Ivar and Omars e.g.

Robin
Martin
Kerry
Adie
Mick
Trevor
Jamie
Phil
Graeme
Garath
Marcus
The likes of Nicky (Shorey and Forster) and Jimmy (Wheeler and Quinn) didn't stand out as one or the other for me.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Feb 2023 11:59

Does remind me of a pet hate. South American players getting away with having a nickname on the back of their shirts rather than their proper surname.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Feb 2023 12:40

6ft Kerplunk Does remind me of a pet hate. South American players getting away with having a nickname on the back of their shirts rather than their proper surname.

years ago I read an article on that which basically said nicknames in general are much more common in life in South America, this is in part because in Latin America there are less surnames spread around. It said that its not just in football that this happens, its not uncommon at all that in everyday life someone gets a nickname in childhood and they are referred to it forever. So in team sport its very common that you get some people with the same surname so using first names or nicknames is not unusual.

In Brazil people often have where they are from added to their name to differentiate themselves from someone with the same name.

I have always liked that Ronaldinho's name is Ronaldo, but he was happy to be called Ronaldinho (which means little Ronaldo) which worked well in the Brazilian national team as there was already a Ronaldo. That Ronaldo was himself known for a short while as Ronaldinho as there was already another older Ronaldo in the team and so that older Ronaldo then became known as Ronaldao (old/big Ronaldo). Then to differentiate him further Ronaldinho gets referred to as Ronaldinho Gaucho by Brazilian commentators (Gaucho is a reference to where he is from)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Feb 2023 11:00

dislikes - feigning head injuries

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2023 11:30

dislike - towards the end of games when a 'keeper received the ball in a routine way and thrown themselves down on the group with it, full length. Utterly pointless and totally unnecessary but seems to be happening more and more.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 23 Feb 2023 11:35

Dirk Gently dislike - towards the end of games when a 'keeper received the ball in a routine way and thrown themselves down on the group with it, full length. Utterly pointless and totally unnecessary but seems to be happening more and more.

To add to this it annoys me that there is a law in place to prevent this but is never enforced. It would soon stop if after 6 seconds the referee gave an indirect free kick inside the box.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Feb 2023 12:01

Winston Biscuit
I have always liked that Ronaldinho's name is Ronaldo, but he was happy to be called Ronaldinho (which means little Ronaldo) which worked well in the Brazilian national team as there was already a Ronaldo. That Ronaldo was himself known for a short while as Ronaldinho as there was already another older Ronaldo in the team and so that older Ronaldo then became known as Ronaldao (old/big Ronaldo). Then to differentiate him further Ronaldinho gets referred to as Ronaldinho Gaucho by Brazilian commentators (Gaucho is a reference to where he is from)

This is both totally absurd and completely logical at the same time.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Feb 2023 14:00

NathStPaul Dislike: The lack of showmanship on display in the Premier League. Not a fan of everything when it comes to the NFL but I do enjoy the pomp and ceremony pre-game. Would really like home sides in the Premier League to have their own entrance themes to come out the tunnel to or specific player entrance, get the away team out first to a chorus of boos etc.

Guess you never went to The Reebok when Allardyce was manager at Bolton. It was like a bad cabaret night at Pontins. Fireworks and fat blokes running up and down the pitch with flags to the tune of James Brown's I Feel Good. They also had not one, but a whole band of drummers playing marching snares so there was this constant rattle in the background akin to a very angry wasp in a jar.

Beyond awful.