The generic transfer thread

10601 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The generic transfer thread

by Simmops » 10 Aug 2021 22:17

genome Messi confimred.

PSG have managed to sign both Barcelona and Real Madrid's captains this summer, which is a bit mentz.

I said messi was confirmed ages ago

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Aug 2021 06:08

genome Messi confimred.

PSG have managed to sign both Barcelona and Real Madrid's captains this summer, which is a bit mentz.

Messi, Ramos, Donarumma - all with no transfer fee

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Aug 2021 08:52

Franchise FC
genome Messi confimred.

And Wijnaldum.

In fact, extortionate fees aside, you have to say that those behind incoming transfers at PSG have done very well indeed. Ander Herrera is pretty much first choice and was another free transfer. Their captain Marquinhos, and Marco Verratti were both signed as 20 year olds and have gone on to prove to be world-class, and the €45m they paid United for Di Maria looks a snip now.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Aug 2021 13:41

Crazy to think they were only formed in 1970. And their first major honour was won in 1982. And now they arguably have the best team in the world on paper.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Aug 2021 13:47

Sanguine
Franchise FC
genome Messi confimred.

And Wijnaldum.

In fact, extortionate fees aside, you have to say that those behind incoming transfers at PSG have done very well indeed. Ander Herrera is pretty much first choice and was another free transfer. Their captain Marquinhos, and Marco Verratti were both signed as 20 year olds and have gone on to prove to be world-class, and the €45m they paid United for Di Maria looks a snip now.

WOW - forgot about Wijnaldum

Has Nicky Hammond moved to France ?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Aug 2021 15:27

Brogue Crazy to think they were only formed in 1970. And their first major honour was won in 1982. And now they arguably have the best team in the world on paper.

Yeah, they're just about the most plastic club in world football. Created because all the traditional Paris clubs had fallen on hard times and a bunch of Parisian business men wanted to create the best team in France, they tried to Maxwell their way into the French League system and then got gifted a state of the art stadium when that went tits up. And that decades before they got bought out by oil sheiks with money to burn.

Fcuking hate them.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 11 Aug 2021 16:07

Stade Saint-Germain was a French football club active between 1904 and 1970,[2] at which time it merged with Paris FC in 1970 to form Paris Saint-Germain.[3] It was based in the town of Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

Never actually knew this.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Aug 2021 16:20

Paris FC were the team created by the businessman and were formed in 1969. They basically took the identity of Stade St Germain and then split in 1972.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2021 09:05

From Despair To Where?
Brogue Crazy to think they were only formed in 1970. And their first major honour was won in 1982. And now they arguably have the best team in the world on paper.

Yeah, they're just about the most plastic club in world football. Created because all the traditional Paris clubs had fallen on hard times and a bunch of Parisian business men wanted to create the best team in France, they tried to Maxwell their way into the French League system and then got gifted a state of the art stadium when that went tits up. And that decades before they got bought out by oil sheiks with money to burn.

Fcuking hate them.

Not quite right, is it? They couldn't afford to enter the league and so crowdfunded their application - original PSG were very much a fan-owned club. And they were only 'gifted' Parc des Princes a few years later - after starting again in Division Three, they were promoted again to the top division, passing Paris FC who had been relegated. Not wholly fair I guess, but Parc des Princes became their home once they were the premier team in the city.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Aug 2021 10:21

So why not invest in one of the existing Parisian teams then such as Racing Club who had been league runners up twice in the 60's?

The truth is more that Paris had always been a bit of a footballing backwater and they wanted to create a team they thought befitting of the nation's capital city.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 12 Aug 2021 10:27, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 12 Aug 2021 10:25

Imagine; all that money and wealth and power and influence.........

............and yet they still managed to finish 2nd behind Lille in Ligue 1, the least competitive League in Western Europe (bar Scotland) who had a total squad value which is less than that of just Mbappe and Neymar combined.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2021 10:59

From Despair To Where? So why not invest in one of the existing Parisian teams then such as Racing Club who had been league runners up twice in the 60's?

The truth is more that Paris had always been a bit of a footballing backwater and they wanted to create a team they thought befitting of the nation's capital city.

Sure, of course they did. Just making the slightly pedantic point that the club wasn't funded by a bunch of businesspeople, they couldn't afford it. Ironic that the status symbol of modern day football wealth was originally a fan-owned club.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Aug 2021 11:22

If we're being pedantic, I never mentioned funding but they were started by a bunch of Parisian businessmen who wanted to create a Parisian superclub.

A case of classic Parisian arrogance IMO.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Aug 2021 11:29

I don't get the hate for PSG.

They've only done the same as Barca, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool et al have done and spent a fortune - ironically, not this year where all their major signings are free transfers

Isn't the hate just jealousy ?
Whah ! Whah ! Whah ! - why can't we do that ? etc., etc.

Good luck to them

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Aug 2021 11:31

Franchise FC I don't get the hate for PSG.

They've only done the same as Barca, Real Madrid, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool et al have done and spent a fortune - ironically, not this year where all their major signings are free transfers

Good luck to them

Whilst that is true to a certain degree, I can imagine all of those "free" signings got very hefty signing on fees which many, many, many other clubs wouldn't even be able to dream of paying.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Aug 2021 11:44

Hendo

Good luck to them

Whilst that is true to a certain degree, I can imagine all of those "free" signings got very hefty signing on fees which many, many, many other clubs wouldn't even be able to dream of paying.

I am no fan of PSG but I think about it this way; If when Reading were promoted in 2012 a group of rich middle eastern billionaires came to the club to change it for the better forever would I have been against it? No, of course not. Not only would we end up being an established force in domestic and European football and no doubt the area would also have felt the benefits from it too. Thousands of kids would have benefitted from great facilities and gained an interest in football due to the success of the local team.

A lot of the people who are strongly against PSG feel that way out of envy.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Aug 2021 11:46

NathStPaul
Hendo

Good luck to them

I am no fan of PSG but I think about it this way; If when Reading were promoted in 2012 a group of rich middle eastern billionaires came to the club to change it for the better forever would I have been against it? No, of course not. Not only would we end up being an established force in domestic and European football and no doubt the area would also have felt the benefits from it too. Thousands of kids would have benefitted from great facilities and gained an interest in football due to the success of the local team.

No, absolutely not. Would've welcomed it, of course.

My main argument is "free" signings, not being free.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Aug 2021 11:50

Hendo
NathStPaul
Hendo

No, absolutely not. Would've welcomed it, of course.

My main argument is "free" signings, not being free.

No doubt that is true, my point was more directed at those who are strongly opposed to PSG, especially those who complain within the French League. Nobody would give a single shit about the French league or the other teams in it if it wasn't for PSG.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 12 Aug 2021 11:52

A postscript around the Messa transfer...he is due a £33M loyalty bonus as part of his last Barcelona contract; if he loves Barcelona so much, I wonder if he will waive it?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Aug 2021 12:50

Hendo Whilst that is true to a certain degree, I can imagine all of those "free" signings got very hefty signing on fees which many, many, many other clubs wouldn't even be able to dream of paying.

Messi reportedly got a €25M signing on fee at PSG

10601 posts