World Cup - Qatar designs cloud to cool stadiums

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

World Cup - Qatar designs cloud to cool stadiums

by roadrunner » 25 Mar 2011 05:11

An artificial cloud has been designed at Qatar University which could be the solution to the summer heat at the 2022 World Cup.

The cloud, manufactured from light carbon materials and helium gas, can be held in place by solar power and moved by remote control.

Because they will block the sunlight they will be able to have a regulating effect on the temperature.

Since winning the World Cup bid in December, there has been plenty of debate amongst football fans about whether a summer World Cup, where the average temperature in Qatar exceeds 40C, would be fair on players or spectators.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has subsequently stated though that the tournament will not move from its traditional dates in the summer.

Saud Abdul Gani, the head of the department at Qatar University, told the Gulf Times that the project would be taken forward in co-operation with the Qatar Science and Technology Park.

"We are in discussion with the QSTP about the costs and to create an initial model on a trial basis," Saud said.

The initial model for the cloud could be produced for $500,000 (£309,000), but costs could come down considerably if they were produced on a commercial scale.

And to think Qatar born Mohamed Bin Hammam will challenge Blatter for the FIFA presidency. Can't wait for more ideas like this in the future.. Can they not build stadiums with retractable roofs and air con?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: World Cup - Qatar designs cloud to cool stadiums

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2011 12:00

There's been a dark cloud hanging over this since the day of the vote...can't they just use that?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 25 Mar 2011 18:09

roadrunner [An artificial cloud has been designed at Qatar University which could be the solution to the summer heat at the 2022 World Cup.

Spacey should let them know that the temperatures are measured in the shade, so even with a cloud it will still be 40 degrees.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Mar 2011 18:57

What happened to air conditioned stadiums?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 25 Mar 2011 19:44

PieEater
roadrunner [An artificial cloud has been designed at Qatar University which could be the solution to the summer heat at the 2022 World Cup.

Spacey should let them know that the temperatures are measured in the shade, so even with a cloud it will still be 40 degrees.

In a "properly aspirated Stevenson Screen" no less.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 25 Mar 2011 20:01

cmonurz What happened to air conditioned stadiums?

Think they realised that it wouldn't work in open air stadia or if there was a little bit of wind

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 25 Mar 2011 20:09

It's too early for April fools, even on Qatar time, but can't get my head round this.

This "cloud" seems to just be something that provides a bit of shade and can be moved around. Surely the same thing could be acheived for less than half a million quid, or have I missed something?

zummerset

by zummerset » 25 Mar 2011 20:17

Red It's too early for April fools, even on Qatar time, but can't get my head round this.

This "cloud" seems to just be something that provides a bit of shade and can be moved around. Surely the same thing could be acheived for less than half a million quid, or have I missed something?

Like a roof and aircon Magnus for example?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Mar 2011 21:30

Y21_Royal

Think they realised that it wouldn't work in open air stadia or if there was a little bit of wind

No shit. :roll:

I meant, I thought the plan was to build climate controlled stadia with roofs.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Mar 2011 21:42

cmonurz
Y21_Royal

No shit. :roll:

I meant, I thought the plan was to build climate controlled stadia with roofs.

Probably cheaper hovering a airship above the stadiums

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 25 Mar 2011 21:45

How would a cloud keep the temperature down? It might create a shadow to stop the temperature rising, but it won't do any actual cooling.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 25 Mar 2011 21:47

Red It's too early for April fools, even on Qatar time, but can't get my head round this.

Agreed. If only they drank out there they'd understand the concept of a pub garden umbrella.

I suggest that the pole gets planted in the centre circle.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 25 Mar 2011 21:52

Svlad Cjelli How would a cloud keep the temperature down? It might create a shadow to stop the temperature rising, but it won't do any actual cooling.

It will blow out cold air

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1