Nevilles

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Nevilles

by floyd__streete » 20 Jan 2015 13:25

I am heartily sick of these two pr@ts dominating my football viewing.

Gary was a decent player but is already the worst kind of sub-Keys & Gray 'tabloid pundit'. He regularly offers histrionic red top 'analysis' such as in last night's Everton game where he genuinely described Mirallas taking the ball off Baines to ultimately miss a penalty as being 'worse for team spirit than punching someone'. This beats my previous favourite, when David de Gea was in poor form a year or two ago Neville launched into full crisis mode, describing the United players reactions at a soft last minute goal in the style of Warden Norton from Shawshank: "they're not looking at each other, they're not looking at the crowd, they're looking at de Gea"......yeah, they're probably just looking at the ball in disbelief Gary, you prissy little drama queen :|

He's still better than his brother. Phil's high pitched co-commentary on the England vs Italy game in the World Cup was unbearable, made me long for Andy Townsend. Now 'the Real Son of Steptoe' is wheeled out every other week on the increasingly intolerable Match of the Day and attempts to give some sort of high-handed gravitas to his punditry. I've hated Neville's face ever since he gormlessly and needlessly gave away a last minute penalty to knock England out of Euro 2000. Now from beyond the career grave we have to suffer his voice too.

Screw you Sky & BBC. Screw you for assuming that we all subscribe to some sort of love afair with 'The Class of 92'.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Nevilles

by Big Foot » 20 Jan 2015 13:27

Agreed re: Phil Neville - file alongside Danny Murphy under "bland commentary"

However - Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher's analysis and insight is top drawer and a real advancement on where Sky's coverage was a few years ago, IMO

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2015 13:34

Gary Neville the now oracle of goalkeeping in this country, no wonder we haven't produced a goalkeeper since David Seaman. Absolutely clueless over inflated opinion of himself, can't stand him to be honest.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 20 Jan 2015 13:41

Big Foot
However - Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher's analysis and insight is top drawer and a real advancement on where Sky's coverage was a few years ago, IMO

+1 really surprised by Carragher.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Jan 2015 14:01

Whatevs
Big Foot

+1 really surprised by Carragher.

He's ok.

Prefer Neville's opinion as he's been there and won the lot.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Jan 2015 14:08

Floyd hates everything and kes has a dig at Liverpool, vintage HNA?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Jan 2015 15:02

<3 G-Nev

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jan 2015 15:07

+20

A rare swing and a miss from Floyd

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 20 Jan 2015 15:09

sandman Floyd hates everything and kes has a dig at Liverpool, vintage HNA?

Only a Liverpool fan would think I was having a dig at Liverpool from my post above. Vintage Liverpool fans!

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 20 Jan 2015 15:11

It's like Groundhog Day.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Jan 2015 15:14

G Nev's better than I feared, but I h8 his bumfluff moustache. Carragher is unlistenable, it's the accent. Townsend, Lawro, Robbie Savage, Shearer.........shambles

It's an old conundrum, Floyd. Who would be better? I've always praised Vialli and Klinsmann. Is Henri the (overpaid) answer? Robbie Earle was good to listen to.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 20 Jan 2015 15:21

Gary Birtles hates us.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 20 Jan 2015 15:47

I don't mind G-Nev, I think he's generally pretty good.

WRT MotD, I find the only enjoyable way to watch it is to wait until 30 mins after it has started, fire up iplayer and start from the beginning, skipping the "analysis." Otherwise I just get angry and upset.

Just show us the football (you bastards).

While I'm at it, the very worst thing in the world is how MotD insist on discussing every dive, red card, offside and penalty at great length, to the virtual exclusion of all else. Yes, the officials make awful decisions sometimes and often marginal, debatable decisions decide matches. We know this. I don't care about it any more. I can't take any more complaint about it. Analyse the fucking football for a change. Try to bring your spectacular footballing insight to say something about the way the teams played.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Jan 2015 15:54

Thierry Henry - having listened to a few interviews, and about 5 minutes of the match he did the other day as his debut, he is terrible. Listening to someone who's every other word is "mmmmm", and takes then 5 minutes to actually get to the point is unbearable.

G Neville - Love the guy's commentry and punditry. He says it how it is, and he is clear and concise. He knows what he's talking about and he's easy to listen to.

Carra - he's OK, I don't dislike him, and I think him and Neville make a good combination.

P Neville - don't particularly enjoy listening to him

Shearer - yaawwwwwwn, bit bored of him now.

I think I saw jermaine jenas do a MOTD recently and I actually thought he was decent. Quite refreshing to hear someone elses opinion and he did well

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Jan 2015 16:22

Gary Neville's analysis of what was wrong with us in the League game v Arsenal was absolutely spot on, and showed his knowledge of the game.

Sadly, it was a fault that we never eradicated that season.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 20 Jan 2015 16:35

Punditry is at an all-time low. Five Live, once the home of the great co-commentator now has Savage, Mills, Hartson and Jason Roberts on its books. Only Pat Nevin from the current crop is any good.

Cricket is going the same way. Nearly spat at out my Frosties when I heard Flintoff on TMS this morning. What the hell was that great big lumbering Northerner doing on there :evil:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Jan 2015 16:36

Interesting to read some polarised opinions.

I don't doubt the soundness of G Neville's football knowledge and he imparts it very decently at times.

The rest of the time - as I alluded to earlier - it is sensationalist, tabloidist tittle-tattle speculative guess-whats-going-on-in-the-dressing-room nonsense from G Neville. I go onto a football message board expecting that kind of 'insight'. I don't find it impressive coming from a pundit. Tbf to him, I expect he is encouraged to throw some of that soap-operaist lowest-common-denomin8r stuff in by his employers.

As Lux alludes to, I'd suggest that those of you who seem very impressed by G Nev have very low expectations from your football pundits. And I can understand why, given the dross which is generally available :!: Btw, FWIW.....Souness > G Neville.

Compare and contrast SKy's excellent England cricket coverage. I turn the commentary right up so I can listen to some intelligent insight into the game. The counter argument would be that cricket is a slower game which allows for more considered opinion. My come back to that would be that some of Neville's worst excesses of hyperbole come pre/post-match; Sky's yawningly elongated live football coverage allows plenty of time for considered opinion. And when they cut out the overstatement and hearsay you do get that, albeit sparingly.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Jan 2015 16:41

Zammo Cricket is going the same way. Nearly spat at out my Frosties when I heard Flintoff on TMS this morning. What the hell was that great big lumbering Northerner doing on there

Would agree that TMS standards have dropped. Flintoff is an abysmal pundit, entirely interested in perpetuating his banterous reputation above all else. Only the kind of person who watches Mrs Brown's Boys would enjoy Flintoff's broadcasting. Vaughan is equally moronic and giggly at times. Tuffnell gets the balance a bit better. Can't we just have Victor Marks on all day? And for lead commentators, anyone but Charles Dagnall please.....I'd never not get tired of listening to his voice :x

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 20 Jan 2015 17:14

Who's the guy who does "Rock n Roll Football" on Saturdays with Ian Wright? He seems to have some decent knowledge

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Jan 2015 18:24

No Fixed Abode
sandman Floyd hates everything and kes has a dig at Liverpool, vintage HNA?

Only a Liverpool fan would think I was having a dig at Liverpool from my post above. Vintage Liverpool fans!

Wellp, you got me, c'mon you reds. I think it's because, as many will attest, I've always loved Brendan Rodgers.

On a serious note, those who watch the Premier League should think themselves lucky that they don't hear the dulcet tones of Gerry Armstrong on SKY's La Liga coverage. One of the best examples of his ineptitude was this weekend when a brilliant piece of skill on the byline from Karim Benzema that played Cristiano Ronaldo in to score was put down to a "deflection off the keeper".