Watford

Streets

Watford

by Streets » 28 Jul 2008 12:59

I read something briefly at the weekend where by *** Watford *** were shrugging of reports that if they can't come up with around £10,000,000 by October, they will be in administration.

Anyone know much more about this?
Last edited by Streets on 28 Jul 2008 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Southampton

by Riseley » 28 Jul 2008 13:02

As I work in Southampton I can state categorically that there is more chance of us getting promoted than Saints going into administration.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Jul 2008 13:06

Would be great to see Southampton slide into Administration.

Streets

by Streets » 28 Jul 2008 13:09

Watford
Last edited by Streets on 28 Jul 2008 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 28 Jul 2008 13:23

They have no money in the transfer kitty and will listen to offers for any players. Just like us really but with more supporters and an unpopular chairman.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Jul 2008 14:10

I think they're rubbish.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2008 15:17

Streets I read something briefly at the weekend where by Southampton were shrugging of reports that if they can't come up with around £10,000,000 by October, they will be in administration.

Hopefully it's worse than that!

Yes, I know about this story. You have completely the wrong club.

The club in question is Watford.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 525199.stm

Toadie

by Toadie » 28 Jul 2008 15:51

At 5-1...Southampton are a cracking bet to go down. They've got serious footballing issues anyway, a newbie manager, and if they had 10 points taken off them, they'd be in a whole world of sh*t!

Streets

by Streets » 28 Jul 2008 16:34

Stranded
Streets I read something briefly at the weekend where by Southampton were shrugging of reports that if they can't come up with around £10,000,000 by October, they will be in administration.

Hopefully it's worse than that!

Yes, I know about this story. You have completely the wrong club.

The club in question is Watford.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 525199.stm

Indeed you're right.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Watford

by Super_horns » 28 Jul 2008 16:35

The club have denied this and will sue the Watford Observer paper it seems..we will see,

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Jul 2008 16:42

Super_horns The club have denied this and will sue the Watford Observer paper it seems..we will see,

super_horns, I don't know the ins and outs of all this but how can this be the case?

You had a year in the Prem where you didn't spend that much, coupled with selling ashley Young for £10million. 2 years of parachute money and now alls at sea? I thought Watford were finally on some sort of sound financial state after the problems of previous years.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 28 Jul 2008 16:54

We spent 45 million on wages over the past 3 years and brought in a lot of players but then again we've sold Bouazza,King and Young for quite a bit plus Darius now.

We seem to have a loan of 6milion and overdraft of 2 million but have cut coses by stopping the plans for our new east stand and "sacking" coaches...

Its the question all Watford fans are asking though..not sure if things are quite as bad as this article suggests however:

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/ ... sh_crisis/

Trouble we have a lot of "deadwood" no-body really probably on around 7-10k which doesn't seem much in today's world but is for when you consider the club probably don't really make that much on a matchday compared to most sides in the top 2 leagues etc.

We really will be doomed football wise if Smith and McAnuff went as we'd only have young attacking players with little experience left.

The club is up for sale but nobody has shown any great interest in taking over.
Last edited by Super_horns on 28 Jul 2008 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 28 Jul 2008 16:58

i would f'ing piss myself if Southampton went into administration, they have The Derby big club syndrome. Watford are one of my more likeable clubs.

of course i would never like to see any club go out of business but to see Soton slide into league 1 would be fantastic.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 28 Jul 2008 17:09

Focher of course i would never like to see any club go out of business but to see Soton slide into league 1 would be fantastic.

Seems a lot of former Premiership clubs have suffered the "threat" of this over the years.

Do you fear something like this could happen at Reading?

I doubt it would personally and feel you have a pretty good chance of bouncing back?

Toadie

by Toadie » 28 Jul 2008 17:17

I think it'd be difficult for it to happen to us because of the frugal nature of the Chairman. We can't have spent anywhere near what we pulled in for 2 years in the Premiership (can we?).

I think the threat of future administration may prey on the Chairman's mind when releasing funds, as he is a businessmen after all. And a football club in administration is, of course, a failed business!

Streets

by Streets » 28 Jul 2008 18:01

Sadly though Toadie, Madejski wont be her much longer, and god only knows what happens to us after that. And yet many of us, including myself, are frustrated at our constant lack of ambition and have even laid blame at his feet.
This kinda puts how lucky we are into perspective, frustrating as things can feel.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jul 2008 08:54

Super_horns We spent 45 million on wages over the past 3 years and brought in a lot of players but then again we've sold Bouazza,King and Young for quite a bit plus Darius now.

We seem to have a loan of 6milion and overdraft of 2 million but have cut coses by stopping the plans for our new east stand and "sacking" coaches...

Its the question all Watford fans are asking though..not sure if things are quite as bad as this article suggests however:

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/ ... sh_crisis/

Trouble we have a lot of "deadwood" no-body really probably on around 7-10k which doesn't seem much in today's world but is for when you consider the club probably don't really make that much on a matchday compared to most sides in the top 2 leagues etc.

We really will be doomed football wise if Smith and McAnuff went as we'd only have young attacking players with little experience left.

The club is up for sale but nobody has shown any great interest in taking over.

Alarm bells would have rung for me when King was sold in the January window when you were still in the thick of it for auto promotion. You'll know better than me but i seem to recall Watford being quite steadfast in refusing bids in August only to cash in in January when his goals could have still got them up automatically.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Jul 2008 09:54

just seeing how watford have hamstrung themselves with wages and new players-and not dealing well with these issues on relegation, and their failure to get straight back up makes me seriously glad to be a reading fan, at a club run so sensibly.

how easy it is to bankrupt yourself through trying to compete financially with the big league-and theyre a bigger team than we are!

the thought that this could even be possible if we had spent like them turns my blood icy cold

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jul 2008 09:57

The pattern is usually that a relegated club will implode financially if they don't go back up club withing 2 year of relegation, because, as previously stated they then lose the parachute payments. This is when the likes of Ipswich, Norwich, Leicester, Wolves etc suddenly stopped being competitive.

So how Watford have got into this situation after just 1 year is anyone's guess - but it certainly doesn't bode well for them in a year's time.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jul 2008 10:04

Isn't the odd thing with them though that they didn't really spend big to get to or indeed stay in the top flight.

Of course i don't know what their wage bill was on promotion but I'd doubt there would have been many (if any) smaller in the Premier League. Added to that hadn't they already gone through a period under Lewington when they had to drastically cut costs following the Vialli fiasco. Its not like Boothroyd spent shedloads to on players to get promotion or once they reached the top flight.

Are their current problems still an ongoing issue from those days because if they're not then frankly I'm even more depressed about the damage the supposed "Best League in the World" is doing to English football than i was previously.