Belarus v England thread

146 posts
Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Belarus v England thread

by Zammo » 15 Oct 2008 14:07

Belarus on top for most of the game and we scrape a draw. Tomorrow's papers will be full of the old Lampard / Gerrard b*ll*cks and Wayne Bridge will get a rating of 3 in The Sun.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Belarus v England thread

by cmonurz » 15 Oct 2008 14:10

Convincing first-half England display, and we hold on for a comfortable 2-0 victory, goals from Rooney and Gerrard.

chandog

by chandog » 15 Oct 2008 14:31

we will win but not convincingly
it will be a typical england performance against average opposition

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Oct 2008 14:34

2-0 England - goal coming in the 55th & 71st minute!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Oct 2008 14:36

Bulgaria 0-0 Italy
Estonia 0-3 Spain
Denmark 3-0 Malta
Faroe Islands 1-1 Austria
Holland 2-0 Iceland
Poland 2-1 Czech Republic
Wales 2-0 Liechenstein

All results from the last round of games - perhaps with the exception of Italy in Bulgaria, England fans would be outraged if we had 'achieved' any of the results of the bigger teams in that list, such as Holland.

We need a bit of perspective - 'thrashings' at this level are becoming rare. A win is a win is a win, and 1-0 will do us tonight.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 15 Oct 2008 15:10

MiniRoyal
cmonurz Bulgaria 0-0 Italy
Estonia 0-3 Spain
Denmark 3-0 Malta
Holland 2-0 Iceland
Wales 2-0 Liechenstein

All results from the last round of games - perhaps with the exception of Italy in Bulgaria, England fans would be outraged if we had 'achieved' any of the results of the bigger teams in that list, such as Holland.

We need a bit of perspective - 'thrashings' at this level are becoming rare. A win is a win is a win, and 1-0 will do us tonight.

After the win in Croatia (and the Croatia/Ukraine draw), England are in the driving seat. A comfortable 2-0 will be perfectly okay.

Any kind of win will be ok imo. How have Belarus done in previous games?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Oct 2008 15:22

As Cashley isn't playing I won't need to boo my TV tonight, instead I will be applauding Rio for bravely speaking out about WAG culture 2 years after the fact

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Oct 2008 15:25

Estonia 0-3 Spain
Denmark 3-0 Malta
Holland 2-0 Iceland
Wales 2-0 Liechenstein

Quite simply Spain apart as proved at Euro 2008 international football is of a rubbish standard, in particular the supposed 'giants' of Europe. Also some of the traditionally weaker nations have improved to be fair to them, but England have a devine right to win 6-0 tonight.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 15 Oct 2008 15:28

Silver Fox As Cashley isn't playing I won't need to boo my TV tonight, instead I will be applauding Rio for bravely speaking out about WAG culture 2 years after the fact

Rio the Brain, on the ball as always.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 Oct 2008 15:43

This on Sky and not Terrestial?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Oct 2008 15:46

I believe it is on Setanta Sports.

By the way, does it seem ridiculous to anyone that an English broadcasting corporation is doing the Irish game and an Irish broadcasting corporation is doing the English game?

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 15 Oct 2008 16:12

Lets hope Rio is a bit more switched on tonight.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 15 Oct 2008 16:17

Estonia 0-3 Spain
Denmark 3-0 Malta
Holland 2-0 Iceland
Wales 2-0 Liechenstein

Spain are the European Champions, Italy are the World Cup winners.

We came in the last eight in the WC and didn't qualify for the Euro's, and you're talking about phucking perspective?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 15 Oct 2008 16:26

Estonia 0-3 Spain
Denmark 3-0 Malta
Holland 2-0 Iceland
Wales 2-0 Liechenstein

What a crap list of examples :roll:

How many fans would be outraged against a 3-0 away win in Estonia? I'd venture not many. Poland v Czech Republic - both qualified for the Euros (England didn't, remember?!?) so not sure who you think should be outraged. Austria are ranked 82nd in the World (and only qualified for the Euros because they were co-host). And to include Wales in that list is laughable :lol:

D+ - much try a lot harder.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Oct 2008 16:38

Completely disagree TROLI, and readingbedding, I think that Italy and Spain are champions only serves to underline my point.

Ok, maybe some of the examples aren't great, but I was taking the last set of games only, so I couldn't be accused of picking and choosing certain games.

There would be a 'reaction' if we only beat Iceland 2-0 at home, or Malta only 3-0 at home, or lost 2-1 in Poland, or, even if we were ranked 82nd, if we only got a draw in the Faroes.

Other teams have 'crap' results too, and the reaction to ours is laughable.

That said, I don't know how the media and fans react in other countries to similarly 'disappointing' results, but I dare say it is less knee-jerk than in this country when, for example, we win 2-0 in Andorra.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 15 Oct 2008 16:43

cmonurz Completely disagree TROLI, and readingbedding, I think that Italy and Spain are champions only serves to underline my point.

Ok, maybe some of the examples aren't great, but I was taking the last set of games only, so I couldn't be accused of picking and choosing certain games.

There would be a 'reaction' if we only beat Iceland 2-0 at home, or Malta only 3-0 at home, or lost 2-1 in Poland, or, even if we were ranked 82nd, if we only got a draw in the Faroes.

Other teams have 'crap' results too, and the reaction to ours is laughable.

That said, I don't know how the media and fans react in other countries to similarly 'disappointing' results, but I dare say it is less knee-jerk than in this country when, for example, we win 2-0 in Andorra.

You don't understand what I'm saying.
It's never been better being a Spanish Supporter.
If we won the Euro's this Summer and beat Estonian away 3-0, and you'd think we'd complain, you're as thick as shite.
Also, if some of the examples aren't great, why post them, why completely contradict yourself?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Oct 2008 16:49

Don't quite get your tone, but there you go.

I've just posted an opinion, with examples of teams that might be considered to have 'under-performed', at the weekend.

And I don't think you understood my point - I was looking at those results from an English perspective, not from the perspective of the recent success of Italy or Spain.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Oct 2008 16:52

I think comonurz is spot on.

England fans very rarely take much note of how other countries results go and the point he's making is spot on. If we'd lost in Poland there'd be outrage as they're the type of side England fans expect us to beat.

In fact wasn't there outrage at our performance and result against Russia in the Euro qualifiers? Russia and Poland have a very similar standing in European international football yet England fans expect the team to turn them over.

What comonurz is saying is that England fans need a bit of a reality check.

146 posts