do you really believe England can win the World cup

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

do you really believe England can win the World cup

by Gus the teenage cow » 21 Aug 2009 11:01

honestly, they never fail to fail
Last edited by Gus the teenage cow on 21 Aug 2009 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus

Re: what does your post count say about the size of your johnson

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 11:12

Hi Gus

wickedwhispers

Re: do you really believe England can win the World cup

by wickedwhispers » 21 Aug 2009 11:58

Will be the same as ever - get through the group stages, then get knocked out to Spain, Portugal et al...

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 12:03

Self belief. I can do it. I can do it. You know? 4-4-2, 4-2-4, 4-3-3. It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Aug 2009 12:04

Could they? Absolutely
Will they? Probably not.

One things for sure they've got a billion times better chance than IreLOLand.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 21 Aug 2009 12:04

wickedwhispers Will be the same as ever - get through the group stages, then get knocked out to Spain, Portugal et al...

probably on pens after being 2-0 ahead and then them equalizing and then england being down to 10 men and summoning the bull-dog spirit and dominating the game with 10 only to choke and to miss their first three penalties in the shoot-out with the decisive one being missed by some journeyman midfield or utility man who shouldn't even have been in the squad in the first place but who won't be criticised oh no he'll be lauded for having the courage to step up, that very peculiar and inately english trait of rewarding failure, indeed the said player will go on to rake in a load of cash from a very lucrative advertising deal as a result of missing the penalty and become the housewife's favourite, it is what you are and will always be

still at least you'll qualify

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular

by Gus the teenage cow » 21 Aug 2009 12:06

Alan Partridge Could they? Absolutely
Will they? Probably not.

One things for sure they've got a billion times better chance than IreLOLand.

show a bit of class ffs and you wonder why other countries don't get behind you

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 12:10

I'm afraid there's still some chips on shoulders left from the old empire days Gus :|

I like to see Ireland do well, FWIW.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Aug 2009 12:15

Magnus I'm afraid there's still some chips on shoulders left from the old empire days Gus :|

Gus' opening post was in no way provactive.

That's the thing that gr8s with me a tad, it's the supporters of minor natons like Ireland who are the first ones to quip about the English team. A nation where KEVIN KILBANE has 100caps+.

Any nation where current Reading players get seleceted may as well fold.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 Aug 2009 12:20

With a fair wind, a good draw and a bit of luck then yes. I haven't seen an England team play for each other this much since Bobby Robson took us to the 1990 semi final. Capello has managed to instill the confidence and composure required for the World stage, though of course there are plenty of teams better than us to get past I am certainly more excited about 2010 than previous World Cups.

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 12:21

Alan Partridge
Magnus I'm afraid there's still some chips on shoulders left from the old empire days Gus :|

That's the thing that gr8s with me a tad, it's the supporters of minor natons like Ireland who are the first ones to quip about the English team. A nation where KEVIN KILBANE has 100caps+.

Let it go mate.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular

by Gus the teenage cow » 21 Aug 2009 12:22

Alan Partridge

i said they have a history of failure which is just a fact, i wasn't having any sly digs, i was just making a statement of fact

Ireland has a population of just over 4 million people (and soccer has to compete with the the national games of hurling and gaelic football as well as the thriving sport of rugby in which we are currently the best in Europe) and a domestic league that is all but amateur...so I believe in consideration of reosurces available we are doing better than england, qualified for three of the last five world cups, england have qualified for four of the last five and currently vying with Italy for top spot in our group

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Aug 2009 12:49

Gus the teenage cow
Alan Partridge

i said they have a history of failure which is just a fact, i wasn't having any sly digs, i was just making a statement of fact

Ireland has a population of just over 4 million people (and soccer has to compete with the the national games of hurling and gaelic football as well as the thriving sport of rugby in which we are currently the best in Europe) and a domestic league that is all but amateur...so I believe in consideration of reosurces available we are doing better than england, qualified for three of the last five world cups, england have qualified for four of the last five and currently vying with Italy for top spot in our group

England is not vying for Italy for top spot in their qualifying group, Ireland is.

Thank you.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Aug 2009 12:59

Gus the teenage cow Ireland has a population of just over 4 million people (and soccer has to compete with the the national games of hurling and gaelic football as well as the thriving sport of rugby in which we are currently the best in Europe) and a domestic league that is all but amateur...so I believe in consideration of reosurces available we are doing better than england, qualified for three of the last five world cups, england have qualified for four of the last five and currently vying with Italy for top spot in our group

They might have a population of 4 million, but the pool of talent they draw from is many times that.

A quick count shows that around half the current squad weren't born in Ireland, and none of them live there currently. If they have 40-50% of their squad born outside of Ireland what has the countries population got to do with anything?

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 12:59

Why don't you guys start a "let's have a pop at Ireland" thread and be done with it.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular

by Gus the teenage cow » 21 Aug 2009 13:10

Hoop Blah
Gus the teenage cow Ireland has a population of just over 4 million people (and soccer has to compete with the the national games of hurling and gaelic football as well as the thriving sport of rugby in which we are currently the best in Europe) and a domestic league that is all but amateur...so I believe in consideration of reosurces available we are doing better than england, qualified for three of the last five world cups, england have qualified for four of the last five and currently vying with Italy for top spot in our group

They might have a population of 4 million, but the pool of talent they draw from is many times that.

A quick count shows that around half the current squad weren't born in Ireland, and none of them live there currently. If they have 40-50% of their squad born outside of Ireland what has the countries population got to do with anything?

FAIL

I think your data is about 20 years out of date

lets start with the Reading and ex-Reading contingent

Doyle, the Hunt brothers and Long, all born and grew up in ireland

failing that let's go the first eleven

Given, born and grew up in Ireland
finnan, born ireland, moved to England as a kid
O Shea, the same as Given
Dunne, the same
Kilbane, born preston, i'll give you him, he's a donkey and by far the worst player on the team, please take him back
Duff, the same
Whelan, the same
Andrews or Gibson, the same
Mcgeady, born Glasgow
Keane, the same
Doyle, the same

hopefully stephen ireland will soon join that first XI

so don't give me bollocks about 40-50% not being born in Ireland coz that's just what it is-bollocks, oh and the point about them living in England is laughable, hello they are international footballers, they Irish league is all but amateur so they kind of have to play in England if they want to have a career

returning to the point about players not being born in the country representing the country, have a look at your cricket and rugby teams please, i have no problem with it as long as the players are dedicated and committed

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 21 Aug 2009 13:38

Huntley & Palmer With a fair wind, a good draw and a bit of luck then yes. I haven't seen an England team play for each other this much since Bobby Robson took us to the 1990 semi final. Capello has managed to instill the confidence and composure required for the World stage, though of course there are plenty of teams better than us to get past I am certainly more excited about 2010 than previous World Cups.

Winter world cup >>> summer world cup

Ireland? Always worth a watch.

There's better smaller nations out there, though.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Aug 2009 15:47

One things for sure though, they'll do better than Ireland. Does clinton morrison still get a game?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 21 Aug 2009 15:55

I don't think England will ever win the World Cup again.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Aug 2009 15:55

Gus the teenage cow FAIL

I think your data is about 20 years out of date

I think this is the last Ireland squad:

Shay Given, Lifford, Ireland
Joe Murphy, Dublin, Ireland
Keiren Westwood, Manchester, England
Richard Dunne, Dublin, Ireland
Kevin Foley, Luton, England
Stephen Kelly, Dublin, Ireland
Kevin Kilbane, Preston, England
Eddie Nolan, Waterford, Ireland
John O'Shea, Waterford, Ireland
Sean St Ledger, Birmingham, England
Keith Andrews, Dublin, Ireland
Damien Duff, Ballyboden, Ireland
Darron Gibson, Derry, Northern Ireland (not Ireland)
Stephen Hunt, Portlaoise, Ireland
Liam Lawrence, Retford, England
Aiden McGeady, Glasgow, Scotland
Liam Miller, Cork, Ireland
Glenn Whelan, Dublin, Ireland
Leon Best, Nottingham, England
Kevin Doyle, Adamstown, Ireland
Caleb Folan, Leeds, England
Robbie Keane, Dublin, Ireland
Andy Keogh, Dublin, Ireland
Shane Long, Gortnahoe, Ireland

That's 9 out of the 23 who aren't born in Ireland. My estimation of 40% once admittedly 0.9% out!