Passes successful - 47

The James Harper of Old Trafford.

TheMaraudingDog

Re: Paul Scholes this season

by TheMaraudingDog » 16 Sep 2009 11:01

(.)Boobies(.)

This Harper must be some player.

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 16 Sep 2009 11:04

The stats are mind blowing.

You're average player would be delighted with an 80% completion rate.

When you consider the pace that Spurs game was played at too.

On top of that he gets away (well he got sent off) in the public eyes with the most terrible of tackles.

Legend

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 16 Sep 2009 11:07

Worst thing ever was Scholes not being played in his natural position for England - as a result we miss out

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Sep 2009 11:24

TheMaraudingDog
(.)Boobies(.)

This Harper must be some player.

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

Agree with that, top class midfielder in his day and will be sorely missed from english football. Shame he reitred from England so early but he or UTD fans don't regret that. Great pro too, how many times did he ever make the headlines or get involved in unpleasent incidents.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 16 Sep 2009 11:26

How can a player be "the complete midfielder" if he can't tackle?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Sep 2009 11:26

handbags_harris How can a player be "the complete midfielder" if he can't tackle?

But we've all seen his tackle...

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 16 Sep 2009 11:30

TBM Worst thing ever was Scholes not being played in his natural position for England - as a result we miss out

Just out of interest , what was that natural position?

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 16 Sep 2009 11:32

TheMaraudingDog Birmingham City

Passes attempted - 100
Passes successful - 97

Wigan Athletic

Passes attempted - 41
Passes successful - 40

Spurs

Passes attempted - 49
Passes successful - 47

sideways passes in your own half ftmfw

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 16 Sep 2009 11:33

Vision
TBM Worst thing ever was Scholes not being played in his natural position for England - as a result we miss out

In the middle.........we played him out left.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 16 Sep 2009 11:40

TBM
Vision

In the middle.........we played him out left.

He played the majority of his games in the middle or under Hoddle at the head of a diamond which personally I always thought was his best position. It was only towards the end (Euro 2004) when we was sometimes moved to the left but even then it wasn't every game as some claim (Gerrard certainly played part of that tournament on the left) and in my opinion we were the best team in that tournament. He jacked it in shortly after that as Lampard became more prominent.

Don't get me wrong I think he's a terrific player and he's the player I always point out when its said English footballers lack technique. I also have no doubt he was missed (although not as much as some might claim) but he tended to have a problem with major tournaments when they were played in June due to the heat and there was often concern over his asthma.

Still I'm sure neither he nor Man Utd have lost much sleep about his International retirement over the last few years.
Last edited by Vision on 16 Sep 2009 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Sep 2009 11:41

Vision but he tended to have a problem with major tournaments when they were played in June due to the heat and there was often concern over his gingerness.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 16 Sep 2009 16:10

to be fair on Saturday he tried pulling out of the tackle which resulted in his second yellow. but otherwise, he's worldclass.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Sep 2009 17:21

Totally agree with Visions comments in reply to this, but the worst thing ever about Scholes was his walking away from playing for his country.

Can't ever condone that.

He's been an absolutely brilliant player over the years though, as some of those old quotes from TMD show (although I bet you could dig out the same players saying the same things about a lot of other players in a Pele 'rent-a-quote' manner).

Must have a strong claim to being the worlds best ever ginger player.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 16 Sep 2009 17:39

Vision
He played the majority of his games in the middle or under Hoddle at the head of a diamond which personally I always thought was his best position. It was only towards the end (Euro 2004) when we was sometimes moved to the left but even then it wasn't every game as some claim (Gerrard certainly played part of that tournament on the left) and in my opinion we were the best team in that tournament. He jacked it in shortly after that as Lampard became more prominent.

Don't get me wrong I think he's a terrific player and he's the player I always point out when its said English footballers lack technique. I also have no doubt he was missed (although not as much as some might claim) but he tended to have a problem with major tournaments when they were played in June due to the heat and there was often concern over his asthma.

Still I'm sure neither he nor Man Utd have lost much sleep about his International retirement over the last few years.

and chris eagles constantly trying to nob Scholes's missus every time he was away on international duty

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Sep 2009 17:48

Hoop Blah

Totally agree with Visions comments in reply to this, but the worst thing ever about Scholes was his walking away from playing for his country.

Can't ever condone that.

He's been an absolutely brilliant player over the years though, as some of those old quotes from TMD show (although I bet you could dig out the same players saying the same things about a lot of other players in a Pele 'rent-a-quote' manner).

Must have a strong claim to being the worlds best ever ginger player.

Alexei Lalas >>>> ............... >>>> Paul Scholes

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Sep 2009 18:30

I said best ginger not MOST ginger!

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 17 Sep 2009 08:56

didn't Fergie once say that one of the best passes he ever saw was Scholes hit Giggs in the back of the head from 60 yards away when Giggs was having a pee in the bushes one day in training?