scottish teams in champions league

143 posts
The Knitting Circle

scottish teams in champions league

by The Knitting Circle » 30 Sep 2009 08:15

i think they should call it a day to be honest.

they have had a nice little go at it, but its getting embarrassing now and bordering on cruelty.

26-10-06

Re: scottish teams in champions league

by 26-10-06 » 30 Sep 2009 11:45

The Knitting Circle i think they should call it a day to be honest.

they have had a nice little go at it, but its getting embarrassing now and bordering on cruelty.

+1 Let the English teams have two extra spaces, sure the likes of Manchester City, Villa etc, would do a better job

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Sep 2009 11:53

The Knitting Circle i think they should call it a day to be honest.

Agreed.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Sep 2009 14:56

Everyone knows rangers and celtic are far bigger than smaller clubs like man city, chelsea, everton, totenham,etc But the problem is they don't have the money to compete.

English clubs and the english league are not special in any way - success is purely based on the money they have and the fact the championship pays more than the SPL - which says it all. Was a pleasure to see barca win the champions league last season with youth academy players like puyol, xavi, iniesta, valdes, messi,etc Far more dignity and respect for that sort of side than the typical english way which the football world is starting to hate. Lads, you can have 20 arabs buy your clubs..three teams will still get relegated at the end of the season.

Back in the 90's rangers did ok in europe and remember them beating leeds, had some cracking players. No one wants to play in the SPL as there is no money there so as a result the standard is that of league one. Put some money in or let the big boys join a euro/ english league and then we'll have a fair crack on an even playing field.

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 30 Sep 2009 15:00

FiNeRaIn Everyone knows rangers and celtic are far bigger than smaller clubs like man city, chelsea, everton, totenham,etc But the problem is they don't have the money to compete.

there is no money in the SPL coz no-one wants to watch that shit

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 30 Sep 2009 15:07

The Knitting Circle
FiNeRaIn Everyone knows rangers and celtic are far bigger than smaller clubs like man city, chelsea, everton, totenham,etc But the problem is they don't have the money to compete.

well a lot of people in scotland do and also in ireland but unfortunately the populations are quite small so yes the money is less

it would be interesting if someone could compile a league table based on money spent per point earned in the champions league, i imagine celtic would be quite high in that with their excellent home record and two last 16 qualifications in recent years despite a modest budget, rangers also got into the last 16 a while back and what's more celtic and rangers have reached uefa cup finals in recent times too, so i would say taking into account budget, wages, tv money etc the scottish teams have overachieved and done a remarkable job in europe

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 30 Sep 2009 15:09

Gus the teenage cow
The Knitting Circle

well a lot of people in scotland do and also in ireland but unfortunately the populations are quite small so yes the money is less

it would be interesting if someone could compile a league table based on money spent per point earned in the champions league, i imagine celtic would be quite high in that with their excellent home record and two last 16 qualifications in recent years despite a modest budget, rangers also got into the last 16 a while back and what's more celtic and rangers have reached uefa cup finals in recent times too, so i would say taking into account budget, wages, tv money etc the scottish teams have overachieved and done a remarkable job in europe

tbf it wouldn't be that interesting would it?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Sep 2009 15:34

The Knitting Circle

Stop typing like a chav.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Sep 2009 15:52

FiNeRaIn Everyone knows rangers and celtic are far bigger than smaller clubs like man city, chelsea, everton, totenham,etc

On what do you base this assumption?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Sep 2009 16:44

Thaumagurist*
FiNeRaIn Everyone knows rangers and celtic are far bigger than smaller clubs like man city, chelsea, everton, totenham,etc

On what do you base this assumption?

Common knowledge mate - a lot of people accept that.

Alivey

by Alivey » 30 Sep 2009 17:09

no way scotland deserves an automatic qualifaction spot after this season. 1st qualifer for cl, 2nd europa, 3rd qualifer for europa, how many clubs have played in europe this year 5?the fact is scottish football (both at the international level and domestic league level) was best when it was most competitive, the SFA, SPL, SOFFA, have done their best to keep giving rangers and celtic the benefits on hopes that they will show better performances in europe but at the same time making the gulf in the league uncompetitive to the max. the league needs restructuring, but will it ever happen?? no. in the long run rangers and celtic going to another league would be better for scottish football. no biased twats ruining the game and a more equal playing field which will allow the sport to rise equally. i dont like celtic and rangers. i think its rich when one of them complain about racism, then hearing the stuff that goes on at matches, abuse given, nothing is ever. if it was up to me and perhaps someone with a backbone all these reports week in and week out about racism and abuse i would been deducting points long ago, but no one wants to challenge the old firm because the sfa does they shoot themselves in the football because then you will get some club with no chance of performing in the champions league because the decades of unbalanced finances renders them useless. scottish football is a wreck and its because of celtic and rangers. kill the parasites because scottish football is truly dead. rip.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Sep 2009 18:57

FiNeRaIn Put some money in or let the big boys join a euro/ english league and then we'll have a fair crack on an even playing field.

Why should we? The scots voted for devolution and continually decry anything english.....yet the whole of Glasgow is united on only one issue: the want to play in England! Well we don't want you and your sectarianism, the group stage is over, why don't you go home 8)

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Sep 2009 19:46

Anti-english? Not sure where you have associated that with rangers fans from. You are thinking the other side of glasgow.
Rangers are very pro-british and we live in britain, there should be a british league, especially since " Britain" hogs all scotlands oil :D Same old english though, up their own arse.

The welsh are far more anti-english, why are they allowed here?

Alivey

by Alivey » 30 Sep 2009 19:52

a british league.. u have my approval

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Oct 2009 01:13

1. Your league is rubbish.
2. You have no money.
3. Your fans are morons as we saw in the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.
4. You don't see Belgian teams joining the Dutch League or vice-versa - you have nothing to add to our league.
5. As a travelling fan I'd rather have my head smashed in with a spade then travel to Glasgow on a Saturday.
6. We don't want Gordon Brown, take him back - you can have your own independence.
7. Religion is like a club for stupid people, I don't care if some third rate Polish goalkeeper made a religious gesture, piss off.
8. Here in England we don't want to see Rangers or Celtic on Sky Sports for Champions League games - sort this out Sky and let us watch Dinamo Bucharest V Sparta Prague, the standard of football would be higher.
9. Ally McCoist is a rubbish pundit, take him back.
10. Good day.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Oct 2009 09:00

FiNeRaIn Anti-english? Not sure where you have associated that with rangers fans from. You are thinking the other side of glasgow.
Rangers are very pro-british and we live in britain, there should be a british league, especially since " Britain" hogs all scotlands oil :D Same old english though, up their own arse.

The welsh are far more anti-english, why are they allowed here?

Has the Welsh thing been done to death? There was no Welsh League when they joined there is now but they're already in so sh*t happens.

All British league won't happen as as soon as it does it'll mean a GB football team, and we've already seen the Scottish reaction to that with regard to the Olympics.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Oct 2009 10:58

In my opinion most of the teams in the "CL" shouldn't be there as they're not champions of their countries.

Scotland's champions therefore have as much right to be there as anyone else's.

Overall the sooner all these big side b*gger off into their own pathetic European league the better then the rest of us can get on with proper football and perhaps have competitve leagues again.

Oh and Scotland's clubs should not be in the English league (also the Welsh clubs should naff off to Welsh leagues) and Berwick should be repatriated into the Northern League.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Oct 2009 11:03

It's about seats and votes on FIFA - all 4 national associations are independent entities on UEFA & FIFA. Bring in a British League and there'd be a massive body of opinion for only 1 vote and seat for "Britain" on both.

So there's then be no individual international teams, 4 CL places for that British League, and we'd also lose our 50% membership of IFAB, the body that makes the laws of the game (as we invented the game and lent it to the world, so the 8 votes on IFAB are 4 for the home associations ans 4 for FIFA).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Oct 2009 11:06

Dirk Gently 4 CL places for that British League.

So why would Rangers and Celtic want to join one anyway?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Oct 2009 11:09

Silver Fox
Dirk Gently 4 CL places for that British League.

So why would Rangers and Celtic want to join one anyway?

Because the TV money is far, far greater in the PL than in Scotland, and with the number of supporters they both have they'd do a lot better commercially. They also want to be broadcast worldwide.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that running a big club has anything to do with sport and winning trophies - it's all about maximising income.

143 posts