Little wants Shorey at Pompy

330 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Little wants Shorey at Pompy

by Southbank Old Boy » 17 Jul 2008 16:40

AP's list pretty much sums up what I meant by the deadwood, although they're not all wasted. It's worth giving these guys a chance as pro's, partly because we have a reserve team to put out, and partly because they might progress and they're not costing the earth.

I don't think most clubs put these first year pro's on their squad lists though, so we look like we've got a bigger squad than most.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Jul 2008 17:32

Alan Partridge
Arch Name and shame!

Sodje
Bennett
Andersen
Bozanic
Church
Illugason
Davies
Bignall
Kelly
Spence
Hateley

All a waste of time, never gonna make it, Fae still on there, DUMP.

That's before we get to the likes of Kebe, Sonko and Gunnarsson.

This really is one of your more foolish rants. what you are effectively saying is that the Academy is a waste of time and will never produce anything.

Well I actually go and watch youth cup games and reserve games whenever I can and have seen many of the youth players in action and they do have potential. Obviously not all will make it at Championship level or above but many will go on to become league players, so to say they are all dump is absolutely ridiculous.

Of your list Davies was outstanding last year at Aldershot and they are desperate to have him back - he could become a good player.

Sodje did well at Charlton and many of their fans wanted him on a permanent deal.
After a poor start Southampton fans were won over and ended up raving about Bennett and wanted the loan extended until the end of the season - which we refused (odd decision)
Church did really well at Crewe - Gradi said he was a very good young player
Bozanic, Spence, Kelly and Bignall have all looked very good at youth level and show potential.

I am not so sure about Andersen (never seen him play), Hateley or Illugason but they are still young and deserve a chance.

Of course all these players deserve to be given a squad number - apart from anything else even if they are finally released we will get money from the aged under 24 sell on clauses if they do make it as league players and are sold on.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 24 Jul 2008 12:56

Shorey's been left out of the starting lineup for the first game in Sweden. Practically a full strength team apart from that. Perhaps he's got a 'cold'...

Colchester Royal

by Colchester Royal » 24 Jul 2008 13:08

Bill Oddie's Beard Shorey's been left out of the starting lineup for the first game in Sweden. Practically a full strength team apart from that. Perhaps he's got a 'cold'...

we don't want Shorey to get a cold now. He'll be going somewhere soon.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 24 Jul 2008 13:14

Andrew,
I'm sure that you see a lot of Reserves and Youth games and feel that players have potential.
The problem is that playing against other Youth players doesn't give a true reflection of that potential.
It might mean that a player looks strong enough against his own age group but it is a totally different kettle of fish when they play men's football,the step-up is immense.
There are countless examples of schoolboy and youth internationals NOT going on to make a career of professional football and one recent example is Simeon Howell.

We also have a manager,like Pardew before him,who is reluctant to test these youngsters in competitive matches and until there is a change in mindset at the club or we unearth a precocious talent like Bostock or Rooney who were clearly ready for men's football we will wait until they are at least 20 before they get an opportunity.
Maybe if we stagnate in this division over the next few years the attitude might change but if we do get promoted (unlikely I know)I can't see many being given the chance to jump from youth football to The Premiership.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 24 Jul 2008 13:16

Bill Oddie's Beard Shorey's been left out of the starting lineup for the first game in Sweden. Practically a full strength team apart from that. Perhaps he's got a 'cold'...

It's warm down on the South Coast so a bit of sea air or even a trip to a very warm East End might make him feel better and undoubtedly richer.

Streets

by Streets » 24 Jul 2008 14:26

Let's hope it's a serious case of the flu then.

One player we do not want here next season. He couldn't be bothered last season, he'll be a hinderance this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2008 14:59

Why take him at all if he was going any where asap?

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 24 Jul 2008 15:03

Streets

Let's hope it's a serious case of the flu then.

One player we do not want here next season. He couldn't be bothered last season, he'll be a hinderance this season.

Agreed

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 24 Jul 2008 15:04

Stranded

I did think that myself. But it does seem a bit strange that they're playing Hunt at left back whilst the rest of the team is arguably as strong as it can be (doobs in for sonko perhaps)

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 24 Jul 2008 15:04

Stranded

Redknapp selling Muntari, frees up cash to spend on Shorey. He had to wait for some players to leave first. Obviously ran over time and Coppell wasn't going to leave Shorey behind.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 24 Jul 2008 15:52

So how much would we be able to pick up Mattock from Leicester for and would he be a good replacement those in the know?

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 24 Jul 2008 15:55

I would bid 1.5million to test the waters tbh.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 24 Jul 2008 17:14

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 24 Jul 2008 17:24

Bill Oddie's Beard Looks like he's pompy bound...

http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=116883

'Expect the deal to go through sooner rather than later, with Dagenham`s Scott Griffiths being lined up as a possible replacement'.

I know we need to 'cut our cloth' but for goodness sakes come on...

:|

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 Jul 2008 17:26

ScottishRoyal
Bill Oddie's Beard Looks like he's pompy bound...

http://www.reading.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=116883

'Expect the deal to go through sooner rather than later, with Dagenham`s Scott Griffiths being lined up as a possible replacement'.

I know we need to 'cut our cloth' but for goodness sakes come on...

:|

Shorey came from Orient

We replace one Essex boy with another Essex boy

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2008 17:39

In terms of newsworthiness:

HNA>>>>Broadsheets>>Redtops>>>Teamtalk>>>Football Rumours>>Vitalfooball

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 24 Jul 2008 18:25

^'greed

If Shorey doesn't get his move (and I'm in the "cash in before his contract runs out" camp) then we'll just have to make do with having the best left back in the division.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Jul 2008 20:11

Hope he goes. 3 Million would be good business. Joe Mattock would be a good replacement.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 24 Jul 2008 20:49

Can someone change "Pompy" to "Pompey"? It's really annoying.

330 posts