Who is the mystery LB

535 posts
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who is the mystery LB

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Aug 2008 19:00

I think we're actually very lucky the Charlton result came on Saturday, rather than in 10 days time.

Pressure from above along with our glaring weaknesses should make it impossible for even Coppell to be happy with what he has.

Really hope we go out and be proactive and not just sign a left back and leave it at that.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2008 19:03

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I think we're actually very lucky the Charlton result came on Saturday, rather than in 10 days time.

Pressure from above along with our glaring weaknesses should make it impossible for even Coppell to be happy with what he has.

Really hope we go out and be proactive and not just sign a left back and leave it at that.

Hasn't he got to sell first SKDD.....Its not all down to Coppell

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Aug 2008 19:10

PEARCEY
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I think we're actually very lucky the Charlton result came on Saturday, rather than in 10 days time.

Where did the Kitson money go? If the Chairman's putting such massive restraints on him why didn't Coppell quit?

He sold Kitson, spent a small amount of it, then stopped. How much is Armstrong gonna cost? £500k? If the Chairman was refusing the back Coppell, Coppell wouldn't be here.

If it's that desperate for money, he'd sell Harper or Doyle.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2008 19:22

PEARCEY

Where did the Kitson money go? If the Chairman's putting such massive restraints on him why didn't Coppell quit?

He sold Kitson, spent a small amount of it, then stopped. How much is Armstrong gonna cost? £500k? If the Chairman was refusing the back Coppell, Coppell wouldn't be here.

If it's that desperate for money, he'd sell Harper or Doyle.

I can only refer to Madejski's recent comments about no money being available(presumably unless Coppell sells first).
So whichever way you look at it Coppell is compiling a squad with one hand tied behind his back and may see playing Hunt as a makeshift left back preferable to selling Doyle or Harper...the lesser of two evils if you like.
Either way we desperately need a new left back but if the funds are not freely available what exactly is Coppell supposed to do...its not an entirely one way street in the apportionment of blame.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Aug 2008 19:39

PEARCEY I can only refer to Madejski's recent comments about no money being available

I don't remember Madejski actually saying that. He has said that we don't have loads of money, but he also said after the signing of Noel Hunt that there was more money available, and he also said after the sale of Shorey that the money would be available to Coppell to spend. He has also said that there was money for more players than just a left back.

I think Madejski comments on ludicrous wages and about us not ahving loads of money are being misinterpreted by some.

However if someone can show me the quote where Madesjki has said that we have NO money to spend then I will take all that back.

The Echo

by The Echo » 25 Aug 2008 21:09

I hear The Rouge is a bit of a left winger. Perhaps in true RFC fashion he could therfore do a job at left back.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2008 23:47

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Aug 2008 01:51

Would people be happy with this purchase? What do United fans think of him?

Streets

by Streets » 26 Aug 2008 02:04

Archie's penalty

Would people be happy with this purchase? What do United fans think of him?

Very assured left back but many there feel he is a better left winger than left back.

Just need to wrap him up in cotton wool and keep him injury free and we have a decent signing there!

Pleased if we get him.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 26 Aug 2008 04:26

Awesome - Hope this is true!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 26 Aug 2008 04:41

Agreed. To be honest, I won't be sorry if Doyle to Villa for 7.5m is true too.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Aug 2008 08:08

Arch Agreed. To be honest, I won't be sorry if Doyle to Villa for 7.5m is true too.

'greed

But what would the £7.5 be used for? Probably Madejski will add a few blocks onto his hotel 8) :lol:

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 26 Aug 2008 08:46

A good purchase if it goes through.

Armstrong continues to be highly rated by Blades fans despite his serious injury which threatened to end his career. Has been playing left midfield in the reserves. A proven championship performer who will enhance the squad.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 Aug 2008 09:11

Presumably we have waited so long so that we could save a few weeks' wages? :cry:
Who knows,if we had signed him a month ago we might not have dropped 3 points at Charlton.
Saving wages>promotion points?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 26 Aug 2008 09:23

only seen him a handful of times but looks extremely capable, and for once a left back who has what a left back should have, pace and can tackle.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Aug 2008 10:10

And has had a serious injury which probably means he's not quite the player he was.....

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Aug 2008 10:12

Barry the bird boggler And has had a serious injury which probably means he's not quite the player he was.....

Wasn't the serious injury a while ago and he has played 2 seasons since then?

Lost his place to Naismith this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Aug 2008 10:45

BR2 Presumably we have waited so long so that we could save a few weeks' wages? :cry:
Who knows,if we had signed him a month ago we might not have dropped 3 points at Charlton.
Saving wages>promotion points?

Or could it be that Sheff Utd were initially reluctant to sell? Or that we pursued other avenues first that haven't come off so are now going for Armstrong as a result.

There's a multidue of reason more likely that looking to save less than a months wages.

Dave Gale

by Dave Gale » 26 Aug 2008 11:45

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 26 Aug 2008 11:49

Good signing imo.

535 posts