Rumour - SHunt off

688 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour - SHunt off

by Mr Angry » 22 Jan 2009 17:52

What I don't understand is this; EVERYBODY and their dog knows SHunt has a £5M clause in his contract, and if it is offered RFC has no option but to let SHunt talk to the offering club. When that happens, it will be stated on our official site, and the official site of the offering club. Personal terms shouldn't be too complicated either i would have thought.

So how come this hasn't happened so far?

Maybe I'm a bit too cynical, and maybe its just that Wigan have been so tied up in their other transfer dealings that they haven't really turned their attention on SHunt yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the latest "news" is more a case of a journo going "Hmmmm - £12M in for Palacios; Wigan have been reported as being interested in SHunt for £5M - BINGO!! We have ourselves a story!!"

We shall see...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Jan 2009 17:55

Sky Sports are normally more reliable than the donkeys who work in the tabloids.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 22 Jan 2009 18:27

Wycombe Royal
loyalroyal4life First player in a long time that potentially we will sign that isnt Irish!!

The signing of Chris Armstrong was so long ago wasn't it?

He's a Geordie (more or less) which is, almost, the same thing.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 22 Jan 2009 18:32

'lista
Wycombe Royal
loyalroyal4life First player in a long time that potentially we will sign that isnt Irish!!

The signing of Chris Armstrong was so long ago wasn't it?

He's a Geordie (more or less) which is, almost, the same thing.

Is that like Kiwi's and Aussie's are 'almost, the same thing.'?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jan 2009 20:12

Has he gone yet? I am getting bored!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Jan 2009 09:19

From the Irish Examiner

Latics make £5m Hunt bid

By Darren Norris
WIGAN have made a £5 million (€5.3m) bid for Reading star Stephen Hunt.

Latics boss Steve Bruce has earmarked the Republic of Ireland winger as one of his top targets in the transfer window and has money to spend after selling Wilson Palacios to Tottenham this week.

The 27-year-old is under contract with the Royals until summer 2011 but is believed to have a £5m buyout clause in his contract.

Hunt has also attracted interest from Tottenham and would favour a move to north London, but the White Hart Lane club have yet to table a bid.

Reading are reluctant to lose the talented winger as they target promotion, but accept they cannot stand in his way if they receive a fee that activates the buyout clause.

Hunt, who almost joined Everton last summer, has never hidden his desire to return to the Premier League and the former Brentford man is expected to hold talks with Wigan.

Reading first team coach Kevin Dillon remains cautiously optimistic Hunt will stay at the club but admits they would be powerless to stop the Waterford man leave.

“Stephen has been a terrific servant,’’ said Dillion. “Reading did well for him and he’s done well for us.

“As far as I know, there is nothing happening at this moment though we have to be prepared for it.

“We don’t want Stephen to leave. But he’s always been an ambitious lad, even when he was at Brentford.

“At the end of the day, if a bid comes in for the right money and Stephen wants to go there is not much we can do.”

Hunt’s Reading and Republic of Ireland team-mate Kevin Doyle is hoping the signing of Jay Tabb does not signal Hunt’s departure.

Reading snapped up Tabb from Coventry City for £300,000 (€320,000) yesterday and manager Steve Coppell is hoping to add at least one more player to his squad.

Doyle played with Tabb for Ireland U21s and he said: “Obviously I hope it doesn’t mean Stephen going. We need everyone, especially him as he has been one of our best players for a while.

“But it’s good to have Jay here. I know him well. He is a good player. Technically he is good, he works hard, can play in three or four positions and he is skilful and nippy.’’

Doyle is one of four Reading players named in Ireland’s squad for next month’s World Cup qualifier against Georgia and Tabb, whose mother is Irish, is hoping his move to Reading will see him make his way into Giovanni Trapattoni’s plans.

“He is sort of Irish – a plastic Paddy – and has played for Brentford so he was always going to join Reading,’’ Doyle joked.

“It will help him settle in as he knows a few of the boys. You never know we could have five in there soon.

“It is a bit embarrassing when we meet up. It’s like favouritism. Three years ago we had no-one in the squad and now we have four. It shows how far we have come as players and as a club.”

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jan 2009 09:24

Sky Sports say Wigan have agreed a £5m fee. Not much to agree really was there.

It's up to Hunt now.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Jan 2009 09:31

Where's Bill Oddie's Beard when you need him? BOB - do us a favour and see if you can find out any more on this via your "contacts". :wink:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 23 Jan 2009 09:34

Gives us a week to find a replacement, or come up with an excuse not to?? :wink:

Really hope if he does go, he doesn't spend a week making his mind up or trying to get more money.

Think both parties need to move on now...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Jan 2009 09:48

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Gives us a week to find a replacement, or come up with an excuse not to?? :wink:

Really hope if he does go, he doesn't spend a week making his mind up or trying to get more money.

Think both parties need to move on now...
We've got his replacement in Jay Tabb.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 23 Jan 2009 09:50

Royal Lady Where's Bill Oddie's Beard when you need him? BOB - do us a favour and see if you can find out any more on this via your "contacts". :wink:

Nothing you don't already know, pretty much just down to him now. Would be surprised if he's still a Reading player tomorrow...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Jan 2009 09:52

Yeah, same BOB. Doubt we'll miss him that much tbh.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 23 Jan 2009 09:54

Royal Lady Doubt we'll miss him that much tbh.

Are you mental?????????????

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 23 Jan 2009 09:57

its about time one of our players rejected a move to the prem, come on SHunt do the right thing.if spurs come in for him i could accept that as thats who he wants to play for.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jan 2009 09:59

Hunt's easily replaceable. The reason we win games is because of the way Coppell sets his teams up, not due to outstanding players. The only player we have who is irreplaceable is Doyle IMO.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jan 2009 10:01

Drew_3 its about time one of our players rejected a move to the prem, come on SHunt do the right thing.if spurs come in for him i could accept that as thats who he wants to play for.

Never in a million years will he say no. He's been annoying everyone at the club all season going about how 'he wants a premiership badge in his sleeve'. 5 million good deal all round

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 23 Jan 2009 10:05

boy1985 Hunt's easily replaceable. The reason we win games is because of the way Coppell sets his teams up, not due to outstanding players. The only player we have who is irreplaceable is Doyle IMO.

have to agree with you here, when you talk to people who don't watch us every week Doyle is the one they say is prem class.Shunt is good but like you say its the way Coppel sets us up to play.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 23 Jan 2009 10:13

if we sell hunt thats fine but we better have a replacement lined up,and not just go with who we have. i dont care who it is or how much we spend, just get a replacement, revived bid for surman anyone?

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 23 Jan 2009 11:01

5 mill for Shunt ... 3.5 mill for Surman and Llallana (spelling ?) ... 1.5 mill for that Jamal guy ... then all we need to concentrate on is getting in a decent CB who is the right side of 30 ! ...

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Jan 2009 11:14

Dennis the Butler 5 mill for Shunt ... 3.5 mill for Surman and Llallana (spelling ?) ... 1.5 mill for that Jamal guy ... then all we need to concentrate on is getting in a decent CB who is the right side of 30 ! ...

We have Bikey and Pearce...I'm confident that is good enough cover.

688 posts