RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by West Stand Man » 30 Jan 2009 08:46

Friday's Child I am truly shocked after this season's form that he is so highly regarded. Not suggesting that I feel the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to football, but on this one, I...just...don't....get...it

... and perhaps that is why you aren't paid silly money to manage a football club?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 30 Jan 2009 09:10

Friday's Child I am truly shocked after this season's form that he is so highly regarded. Not suggesting that I feel the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to football, but on this one, I...just...don't....get...it

Tis easy. He's 28, so he's in his financial prime for what we can get for him. £5m makes absolute sense, especially since Arsenal have a healthy sell-on clause. We now have a replacement in Tabb, upcoming replacement in Karacan, emergency replacement in Gunnarsson.

That's really all there is to 'work out'.

(Plus, he won't 'save' Boro, imo. We could, and quite possibly will, swap divisions.)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Jan 2009 09:13

I have just been informed by a late arriver here at work that Reading107 have just reported that Harper is having a medical at Boro today.

The question is is this a Nicky Shorey type of medical?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 30 Jan 2009 09:22

I could pop to Arborfield and see if he is there??

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jan 2009 09:22

Wycombe Royal I have just been informed by a late arriver here at work that Reading107 have just reported that Harper is having a medical at Boro today.

He is obviously late as he picked up the DAILY MAIL!!

It reports the same, medical £5mill move!!

If he doesnt play tommorow he is off, if he does then cant see him going!!

At last this could be chance for Marek to shine!!!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Jan 2009 09:25

loyalroyal4life
Wycombe Royal I have just been informed by a late arriver here at work that Reading107 have just reported that Harper is having a medical at Boro today.

He is obviously late as he picked up the DAILY MAIL!!

No heard it on the radio. Whether the radio are just reporting what is in the paper is another thing, but with 107 being at the stadium you would expect them to be a bit more certain about something to do with RFC before they report it.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 09:50

Had a similar story today which did not originate in the media but is from a source I trust.

Harper is indeed having a medical and the deal is £2.5 million up front and £2.5 million if Boro stay up.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Jan 2009 09:57

Sun Tzu Had a similar story today which did not originate in the media but is from a source I trust.

Harper is indeed having a medical and the deal is £2.5 million up front and £2.5 million if Boro stay up.

If that's true, with a slice going to Arsenal I still think that's a good deal for Harper. A player that always blows hot and cold, 28 now,we've got other players who could do an equally good job.Fair play to the bloke as he's been here a long time and been a key member o the squad in the last 8 years but it could be best for all concerned for him to have a change. I think that's very good money for him.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 10:03

I would be very sorry to lose him but do agree that there comes a time that players need to move on - fresh challenge etc etc

Whether a midfield of Marek and Cisse would be an improvement only time will tell.....

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 30 Jan 2009 10:06

Tabb to replace harper.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 30 Jan 2009 10:08

Sun Tzu I would be very sorry to lose him but do agree that there comes a time that players need to move on - fresh challenge etc etc

Whether a midfield of Marek and Cisse would be an improvement only time will tell.....

Or Karacan who tackling apart is a vey similar player to Harper in terms of energy and workrate.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Jan 2009 10:13

BBC Radio Berkshire certainly talk as if it's an accepted offer, down to medical.

I like Harps but for me this year he's not been quite right mentally. A move would help him
and he IS replaceable. Whetever people think of Harps, is this SCC thinking longer term
and either giving Karacan some room or looking to get a dominant CM player in the summer?

Cisse, Karacan, Matejovsky, Tabb, (Harding, Gunnarson)

I'd love to see what Bikey would be like in central midfield. 4-5-1 away in the Prem
with Cisse-Bikey behind Matejovsky... the opposition would have six strong defenders
to go through. I'd fancy that.

Or if Harps goes, is SCC going to buy someone?

Darlo Royal

Harper off to Boro, says Echo

by Darlo Royal » 30 Jan 2009 10:30

From this morning's Northern Echo

Boro homing in on a £5m deal for Reading’s Harper
10:18am Friday 30th January 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Scott Wilson »

MIDDLESBROUGH have moved a major step closer to the capture of James Harper after Reading agreed a fee for the midfielder.

Harper still has to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms at Boro’s Rockliffe Park training ground, but weeks of patient negotiations have finally produced a breakthrough.

Reading officials have accepted an initial payment of around £2.5m, a fee that could eventually almost double depending on appearances and achievements.

Having missed out on Ben Watson last weekend despite agreeing a fee with Crystal Palace, Boro boss Gareth Southgate will be taking nothing for granted until Harper’s signature is secure.

The 28-year-old, who has featured in 25 of Reading’s 29 Championship matches this season, came close to moving to the Riverside last summer, only for the Royals to move the goalposts in terms of the fee they were willing to accept.

Reading’s stance has softened considerably since, with the realities of life in the Championship forcing them to reduce their asking price.

As an energetic central midfielder, Harper will bolster an area of the field that has caused problems to Boro all season.

Neither George Boateng nor Lee Cattermole was adequately replaced in the summer, and centre-half Matthew Bates was forced to play as an unorthodox holding midfielder at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night.

Southgate has been tracking Harper for the best part of two seasons, but the Boro boss will not be sacrificing any of his current squad in order to sign the former Arsenal trainee.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 30 Jan 2009 10:33

My concern is that we are selling our BEST midfielder and not moving on lesser players whereas Wolves and Birmingham seem to be keeping theirs.
Hopefully Cardiff will sell Ledley and Swansea sell a few of theirs.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Harper off to Boro, says Echo

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jan 2009 10:33

Darlo Royal From this morning's Northern Echo

Boro homing in on a £5m deal for Reading’s Harper
10:18am Friday 30th January 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Scott Wilson »

MIDDLESBROUGH have moved a major step closer to the capture of James Harper after Reading agreed a fee for the midfielder.

Harper still has to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms at Boro’s Rockliffe Park training ground, but weeks of patient negotiations have finally produced a breakthrough.

Reading officials have accepted an initial payment of around £2.5m, a fee that could eventually almost double depending on appearances and achievements.

Having missed out on Ben Watson last weekend despite agreeing a fee with Crystal Palace, Boro boss Gareth Southgate will be taking nothing for granted until Harper’s signature is secure.

The 28-year-old, who has featured in 25 of Reading’s 29 Championship matches this season, came close to moving to the Riverside last summer, only for the Royals to move the goalposts in terms of the fee they were willing to accept.

Reading’s stance has softened considerably since, with the realities of life in the Championship forcing them to reduce their asking price.

As an energetic central midfielder, Harper will bolster an area of the field that has caused problems to Boro all season.

Neither George Boateng nor Lee Cattermole was adequately replaced in the summer, and centre-half Matthew Bates was forced to play as an unorthodox holding midfielder at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night.

Southgate has been tracking Harper for the best part of two seasons, but the Boro boss will not be sacrificing any of his current squad in order to sign the former Arsenal trainee.

You should have a job with sky sports with that find

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jan 2009 10:36

Sun Tzu Had a similar story today which did not originate in the media but is from a source I trust.

That is a shit deal if thats the case why do RFC always do deals like this!! i wouldnt sell him for that (people on here know by now I have always been pro harper transfer) but relying on boro to stay up for £2.5mill???

Also if this move doesnt signal the return of the marek then do us a favour SSC and sell him as well

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 30 Jan 2009 10:38

Sorry but that story has just been reworded.

1. No way we would sell Harper for £2.5 Million up front when a big chunk of that goes to Arsenal.

2. People hate or love Harps, but he has played near enough every game this year, we aren't going to sell a player who has been a big figure for us when we are in a great position to go up.

3. Personally unless Tabb has been lined up as the replacement i don't think Coppell would consider letting him go. Apart from his on pitch performance, i feel his personality is one which can hold a squad together.

4. I doubt he would be overly keen on moving to MIddlesbrough, struggling in the league, chances of being relegated are similar to our chances of going up, i really think it would be a wrench for him to leave, unless Fulham came in where he wouldn't have to relocate.

Im not Harpers biggest fan, but he is instrumental in what we need to go up, he wears his heart on his sleeve, never moans, and is one who can regroup the squad and add good morale.

I would be very surprised and disappointed if he left at this stage in our season

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 10:41

See the extensive thread in UR......

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 30 Jan 2009 10:42

Watch Bolton hijack the deal like Wigan did with Watson. Megson wanted him last season as well and Nolan is having a medical at Newcastle.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 10:42

loyalroyal4life

That is a shit deal if thats the case why do RFC always do deals like this!!

Because most deals done by most clubs are like this.....?

944 posts