RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

944 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: RUMOUR - Harper to Middlesborough

by Royal Rother » 30 Jan 2009 10:45

Boro won't go down. There are 3 worse team than them in the League...

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 30 Jan 2009 10:47

1. No way we would sell Harper for £2.5 Million up front when a big chunk of that goes to Arsenal.

2. People hate or love Harps, but he has played near enough every game this year, we aren't going to sell a player who has been a big figure for us when we are in a great position to go up.

3. Personally unless Tabb has been lined up as the replacement i don't think Coppell would consider letting him go. Apart from his on pitch performance, i feel his personality is one which can hold a squad together.

4. I doubt he would be overly keen on moving to MIddlesbrough, struggling in the league, chances of being relegated are similar to our chances of going up, i really think it would be a wrench for him to leave, unless Fulham came in where he wouldn't have to relocate.

Im not Harpers biggest fan, but he is instrumental in what we need to go up, he wears his heart on his sleeve, never moans, and is one who can regroup the squad and add good morale.

I would be very surprised and disappointed if he left at this stage in our season

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Harper off to Boro, says Echo

by AlexY25 » 30 Jan 2009 10:47

Deadline day will be good to watch i guess.
Theres no way both Hunt and Harper will go, but seems at the moment that a chance one of them could.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jan 2009 10:50

I'm not going through 40 pages but have Arsenal really got a sell on fee for Harper? He's been here for ages and surely any sell on clause would only be for a certain amount of time wouldn't it?

Anyway, that's not the real issue, the real issue is that if true we are selling the man who makes our midfield work, despite what all the 'experts' on here say

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 30 Jan 2009 10:55

AlexY25 Deadline day will be good to watch i guess.
Theres no way both Hunt and Harper will go, but seems at the moment that a chance one of them could.

If Harper leaves already, then we have no choice with Hunt, it could be 2 from 2.

In all honesty i hope Hunt does go, im fed up with his antics

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 30 Jan 2009 10:59

Not sure of my dads source, but he called me around 9:30am and said Harper is having his medical today.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 30 Jan 2009 11:01

AlexY25 Deadline day will be good to watch i guess.

If Harper leaves already, then we have no choice with Hunt, it could be 2 from 2.

In all honesty i hope Hunt does go, im fed up with his antics

100% agree actually.
I hope Hunt leaves, but i'd rather keep Harper, till the summer at least.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Jan 2009 11:06

largetrousers Not sure of my dads source, but he called me around 9:30am and said Harper is having his medical today.

He read it on here I would guess....

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 30 Jan 2009 11:16

Or was listening to 107

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jan 2009 11:17

I'm pretty sure if Harper goes that SC will, unfortunately, not move to bring in a replacement and simply push Tabb in to take over duties as he is experienced at this level - whether or not he can fit that role remains to be seen of course.

However I think Karacan is the nearest match we have in the squad to Harper's game but SC probably won't go down that route given the critical nature of our season and Jem's lack of experience.

Also who will take over as captain with Ivar and Murts out? Stephen Hunt, Alex Pearce, Kevin Doyle or Michael Duberry?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jan 2009 11:23

Silver Fox I'm not going through 40 pages but have Arsenal really got a sell on fee for Harper? He's been here for ages and surely any sell on clause would only be for a certain amount of time wouldn't it?

Anyway, that's not the real issue, the real issue is that if true we are selling the man who makes our midfield work, despite what all the 'experts' on here say

40%
Last edited by loyalroyal4life on 30 Jan 2009 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 30 Jan 2009 11:29

Royal Rother Boro won't go down. There are 3 worse team than them in the League...

Tee heee :wink:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jan 2009 11:32

There's also a rumour doing the rounds that Shorey is going to go to Middlesbrough as well!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jan 2009 11:32

Sun Tzu
loyalroyal4life
Sun Tzu Had a similar story today which did not originate in the media but is from a source I trust.

Harper is indeed having a medical and the deal is £2.5 million up front and £2.5 million if Boro stay up.

That is a shit deal if thats the case why do RFC always do deals like this!!

Because most deals done by most clubs are like this.....?

what most clubs allow 50% of the fee to be paid based on a team staying up? we are on about boro here not man utd, there is a big chance they will sink

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jan 2009 11:35

Focher Watch Bolton hijack the deal like Wigan did with Watson. Megson wanted him last season as well and Nolan is having a medical at Newcastle.

Yeah i wouldnt be surprised if this happened

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 30 Jan 2009 11:37

im not litening to any paper talk as its usaully Bullshit!

i wont belive this till its been confirmed!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jan 2009 11:37

How is Harper having a medical at Middlesborough when he's actually at training?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2009 11:39

Silver Fox I'm not going through 40 pages but have Arsenal really got a sell on fee for Harper? He's been here for ages and surely any sell on clause would only be for a certain amount of time wouldn't it?

In a word, yes. They do still have a sell on clause, it'll be for the life of Harper's Reading career - similar to the clause York had for Murty when we were promoted from League 1.

And yes selling him for the apparent £2.5m up front would be an absolute travesty and could well hamper our promotion bid.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jan 2009 11:40

Latest from the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette

Southgate in race against time for Harper
Jan 30 2009 by Philip Tallentire, Evening Gazette

BORO face a race against time to complete a deal to bring Reading midfielder James Harper to the club.

With just three days remaining before the transfer window closes at 5pm on Monday, time is running out for Gareth Southgate to strengthen his wafer thin midfield.

The Gazette understands reports claiming the clubs have agreed a fee are wide of the mark, though lines of communication remain open. Boro will have to pay somewhere between £3.5m and £4m for the 28-year-old, who is keen to play top-flight football.

Southgate’s great fear after losing out to Wigan in the battle to sign No1 target Ben Watson is again being beaten to the chase by a Premier League rival, hence his and the club’s reluctance to speak about the move until it’s wrapped up.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jan 2009 11:43

Not quite according to the Gazette....

Southgate in race against time for Harper
Jan 30 2009 by Philip Tallentire, Evening Gazette

BORO face a race against time to complete a deal to bring Reading midfielder James Harper to the club.

With just three days remaining before the transfer window closes at 5pm on Monday, time is running out for Gareth Southgate to strengthen his wafer thin midfield.

The Gazette understands reports claiming the clubs have agreed a fee are wide of the mark, though lines of communication remain open. Boro will have to pay somewhere between £3.5m and £4m for the 28-year-old, who is keen to play top-flight football.

Southgate’s great fear after losing out to Wigan in the battle to sign No1 target Ben Watson is again being beaten to the chase by a Premier League rival, hence his and the club’s reluctance to speak about the move until it’s wrapped up.

By the way why do we have two threads on this - can they be amalgamated please?

944 posts