Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by Royal Rother » 10 Aug 2009 20:39

Ian Royal gazzer is certainly one to watch on UR&G after his recent transfer info.

He always has been to my mind - it's just that when something he reports doesn't happen people assume there was never any truth in it in the first place.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 10 Aug 2009 21:08

Royal Rother
Ian Royal gazzer is certainly one to watch on UR&G after his recent transfer info.

He always has been to my mind - it's just that when something he reports doesn't happen people assume there was never any truth in it in the first place.

the only thing i said that people didn't really believe was that Fulham bid for Doyle and triggered the release clause

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Aug 2009 21:33

Pleased with the latest developments - it was clear on Saturday that we're a striker short and Smith is a proven goalscorer in this division.

Will be a positive move for us and i'm sure it'll happen now.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 10 Aug 2009 21:43

Maguire Pleased with the latest developments - it was clear on Saturday that we're a striker short and Smith is a proven goalscorer in this division.

Same as. HRK looked really promising too, and more than lightens the so called burden of losing Hunt. Great bit of summer business if we get Smithy too. Been a while since we've said that.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Aug 2009 21:54

Deathy
Maguire Pleased with the latest developments - it was clear on Saturday that we're a striker short and Smith is a proven goalscorer in this division.

Same as. HRK looked really promising too, and more than lightens the so called burden of losing Hunt. Great bit of summer business if we get Smithy too. Been a while since we've said that.

Is Smith the answer though - can he play the target man role? I thought he was more an out-wide type of player, who would come in for HRK?

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 10 Aug 2009 21:58

Royalwaster
Deathy

Is Smith the answer though - can he play the target man role? I thought he was more an out-wide type of player, who would come in for HRK?

He has some much creativity & an eye for goal. something not one of the 11 had on Saturday.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 10 Aug 2009 22:11

Good free-kick taker also.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Aug 2009 22:14

Deathy Good free-kick taker also.

Scott Davies didn't look too shabby either.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 10 Aug 2009 22:26

What about Mr Boss shouting Hull at lunchtime today huh?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 10 Aug 2009 22:27

I am alone in thinking that Rodgers may want Smith to play in the right wing/striker role of a 4-3-3 as often employed at Watford and Derby?

TVPRoyal

by TVPRoyal » 10 Aug 2009 22:37

The Rouge I am alone in thinking that Rodgers may want Smith to play in the right wing/striker role of a 4-3-3 as often employed at Watford and Derby?

Absolutely, I'm sure this is BR's thinking -- Something like : Smith RW / Long CF / Church or HRK or Kebe LW

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Aug 2009 23:17

Smith will come in and hit the right flank, with Long or NHunt upfront and Kebe on the left. With Henry and HRK back up for the wings.

Assuming he signs

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Aug 2009 00:07

whats wrong with n.hunt up top?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Aug 2009 09:54

loyalroyal4life whats wrong with n.hunt up top?

My concern is that we end up still being a small side - NHunt can jump but he's still rather small. But on the other hand, as we'll not be playing the SC lump it forward style of football, maybe that won't matter so much ....

bagman

by bagman » 11 Aug 2009 10:03

Rodgers said 1 - 2 more players, I would imagine Rodgers will want a striker as well as Smith, who you would imagine will be Hunt's replacement.

Maybe Rodgers will wait to see if we can do anything in the loan market once the main window shuts.

To be honest I'd say a striker who can hold up the ball is more of a priority, but Rodger's seems to be really keen to get Smith in.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 11 Aug 2009 10:06

bagman Rodgers said 1 - 2 more players, I would imagine Rodgers will want a striker as well as Smith, who you would imagine will be Hunt's replacement.

Maybe Rodgers will wait to see if we can do anything in the loan market once the main window shuts.

To be honest I'd say a striker who can hold up the ball is more of a priority, but Rodger's seems to be really keen to get Smith in.

On Saturday, he definitely said he wanted a link-man. I assume by that he means a striker who can hold up the ball. He also wants an experienced player who can get 15-18 goals a season. A link-man who can do that is rare as hens'-teeth so I assume that's where Smudger comes into the equation. There's your 1 or 2 players.
Last edited by CMRoyal on 11 Aug 2009 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 11 Aug 2009 10:11

bagman Rodgers said 1 - 2 more players, I would imagine Rodgers will want a striker as well as Smith, who you would imagine will be Hunt's replacement.

Has also said he wants some experience to compliment his young squad. Saints signing Lambert may mean Rasiak is closer to leaving.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Aug 2009 10:26

if we came out of the summer with mills, smith and rasiak or nugent id be ruddy ecstatic

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Aug 2009 10:34

Tommy Smith is very average and runs like a muppet.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Aug 2009 10:35

SouthDownsRoyal Tommy Smith is very average and runs like a muppet.

hes not got the gay arms of a walcott though has he?

i hope not

2326 posts