Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Unruined Tommy Smith RUMOUR Thread

by Royal Lady » 23 Aug 2009 15:23

I do wonder what sort of wage deal we are prepared to offer. I wonder if BR spoke to Smith and gave him an indication of what we'd pay, but BR now realises that he won't be able to pay that. Even if Watford accepted our bid, we still have to agree personal terms and if we're offering something way below Smith's expectations, he won't want to come - as will be the problem for everyone we want to sign, unless they are a young unknown. :cry:

Can we afford to wait until Smith is available on a free? I doubt it.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 23 Aug 2009 16:55

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY He ain't coming said before - fact...if I was Smith id telling Reading to shove it up their arse as well

And as said before, that's opinion and not fact.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Aug 2009 17:11

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 23 Aug 2009 17:22

A Frigging disgrace by Mr Ego :-Watford chairman Jimmy Russo reveals the truth behind Reading ending their interest in Tommy Smith
5:00pm Sunday 23rd August 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Frank Smith »

Watford chairman Jimmy Russo has revealed that despite Tommy Smith being on the verge of joining Reading, the Royals have now pulled out of the running to sign the forward.

It was claimed Reading had matched Sheffield United's successful £1.8m bid but Russo has released a lengthy statement on the club's website denying this.

“Despite claims in the press to the contrary, Reading did not match our valuation of the player,” Russo said.

“The guaranteed fees they proposed were less than what was acceptable and the rest of their bid was based upon "jam tomorrow" add ons, which included a hefty proportion based upon Reading achieving promotion to the Premier League.

“In any event, I was told on Friday by a Reading representative that Sir John Madejski has withdrawn Reading from the race to sign Tommy and that they are moving on to other targets.”

Former Watford manager and current Reading boss Brendan Rodgers has previously stated that Smith wanted to reunite with him at the Madejski Stadium.

And Russo claims the deal was set to go through when Reading pulled the plug due to Watford's request for a £200,000 payment based on appearances.

Russo said: “It seems that our request for a £200k payment based on Tommy making a given number of appearances at Reading has prevented the deal from going through – they were that close.

“Given that the evidence available to us suggests that Brendan covets the player and Reading have netted circa £11m with the sales of Doyle, Hunt and Bikey - not to mention the huge wage savings that go with that, I have to say I was surprised when they said that they were no longer interested in signing Tommy because of a clause that is commonplace in transfers today.

“We don't really know why Reading have withdrawn their interest. The asking price was fair and they were really close to the numbers we were looking for.

“It’s up to Reading’s chairman now really and he obviously knows his own business best. It is not our place to comment on why they do what they do."

Watford sold striker Tamas Priskin to Ipswich for around £1.7m recently and Russo praised Town's representatives for the way they negotiated the deal.

The Hornets' financial problems are well-documented but Russo is adamant he will not let his star players leave on the cheap.

Russo said: “We cannot let other clubs take advantage because they feel they can exploit the financial position that the previous regime has left us in.

“We showed in our dealings with Ipswich and Tamas Priskin that we understand the value of our players and that we are fair in our dealings.

“It is exactly the same with Reading and

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Aug 2009 17:24

Madejski best sort this out pronto or serious questions need to be asked of him, this coming from one of his biggest fans.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Aug 2009 17:25

I'm sorry, but BR must be absolutely livid with Madejski.

Pulling out of a deal to sign possibly the best player in the Championship because of a 200k add-on is a joke.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Aug 2009 17:25

Royalee Madejski best sort this out pronto or serious questions need to be asked of him, this coming from one of his biggest fans.

+1 sadly. If this is really the case... £200k, based on friggin appearences. :(

Royal Spangle

Disgrace - RFC pull out of Tommy Smith deal.

by Royal Spangle » 23 Aug 2009 17:26

Mr Mad your a disgrace , wtf is going on - we are led to believe that Watford had turned down our offer for Smith , when in fact Mr Mad pulled the plug on the deal :evil: Time for him to go me thinks!

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 23 Aug 2009 17:28

I've just read that article on the watford site as well as getreading's one. I must say that I feel lied to by the club in terms of us matching sheffield utd's bid. 200k and madjeski refused to pay up, I hope that tight fisted oxf*rd pisses off sooner rather than later. It wouldn't surprise me if rodgers is somewhat miffed by mr mads actions as we have gained some good money for our departed stars and not made investment in areas that need much attention.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 23 Aug 2009 17:28

LMAO... Madejski shit himself when the possibility of this deal actually taking place looked real and pulled the plug.Phew that was a close call , he nearly had to spend some of the ca$h that he's banked :lol:

Royal Monk

Re: Disgrace

by Royal Monk » 23 Aug 2009 17:30

Calm down and put a pair of RTG on .... its the only way to get through this . :P

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 23 Aug 2009 17:31

He can't sack himself?

Do you have a source, anyway

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Aug 2009 17:34

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Aug 2009 17:34

It's in the Watford Observer. I'm guessing the right player at the right price scenario has been breached. Many have thought that this fee for a 29 year old is too much and it appears Madejski agrees.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 23 Aug 2009 17:36

Trust you to be on his side - idiot

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 23 Aug 2009 17:37

"In any event, I was told on Friday by a Reading representative that Sir John Madejski has withdrawn Reading from the race to sign Tommy and that they are moving on to other targets."

Pcunt.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Aug 2009 17:38

Royal Spangle Trust you to be on his side - idiot

Where did I say I was on his side? I just put forward a view on it. So who's the idiot?

I actually said to some people on Saturday that we should call their bluff and pull out the deal and move on to other targets. I just gives us some power back.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 23 Aug 2009 17:47

ooooooooooops sorry WR :oops: miss-interprited your post - Seems to me that when we SELL a player we want top doller for them , but when we BUY one we are not prepared to pay the going rate . Id like to be a fly on the wall when Brenda found out :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Aug 2009 17:49

Oh dear. What a grubby little affair. RFC do not apear to come out of this situation very well at all.

specialjon

by specialjon » 23 Aug 2009 17:50

This transfer cock up makes us the laughing stock of the championship. BR has shown how niave he is as a manager, it should never of come out in the press, SS wouldn't have said a word and if the transfer didn't happen we wouldn't look like a bunch of muppets.

If Smith is as good as everyone thinks/says we should've definately paid up unless we have a very good plan B. Which i hope we do, or we're playing a risky game hoping we can get him on the cheap just before the deadline.

2326 posts