Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Tommy Smith Thread

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:28

Royal Rother
Norfolk Royal If Smith does go to Pompey then Rodgers has been effectively hung out to dry by the club. I wouldn't be suprised if he resigned in a fit of pique.

Err, how do you come to that conclusion?

I would assume the argument could be presented that the club's stalling to try and get a lower price allowed us to be gazzumped by a more attractive prospect.

It's difficult to argue given our recent performances that trying to save £1m by stalling for 2-3 months hasn't hurt us. We've been crying out for attacking signings and we've just apparently stuck to Smith, when we could have gone elsewhere for different players at similar prices to the one he will go for. Missing out on him would definitely be defined as a Bad Thing.

Hell, we could almost certainly have picked up someone for the price we were offering by now. Even if they weren't as good.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 25 Aug 2009 19:30

Ian Royal
Royal Rother
Norfolk Royal If Smith does go to Pompey then Rodgers has been effectively hung out to dry by the club. I wouldn't be suprised if he resigned in a fit of pique.

I would assume the argument could be presented that the club's stalling to try and get a lower price allowed us to be gazzumped by a more attractive prospect.

It's difficult to argue given our recent performances that trying to save £1m by stalling for 2-3 months hasn't hurt us. We've been crying out for attacking signings and we've just apparently stuck to Smith, when we could have gone elsewhere for different players at similar prices to the one he will go for. Missing out on him would definitely be defined as a Bad Thing.

Hell, we could almost certainly have picked up someone for the price we were offering by now. Even if they weren't as good.

Billy Whitehurst???? :)

petethehornet

by petethehornet » 25 Aug 2009 19:30

hahahaha.

Play up pompey, pompey play up

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 25 Aug 2009 19:32

petethehornet hahahaha.

come back and gloat when he signs for them.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 25 Aug 2009 19:40

It will be interesting what BR has to say, he has hung hishat on Smith joining us for a few weeks now and in all honesty it should have been done and dusted weeks ago, he must have known how the ego-monster operates with his intense dislike of transfer fees and wages, and his reluctance to penny pinch deals, in reality £2m pounds for Mills isnt exactly bank busting in the expensive world of football after allthat is th monste he has involved himself in, I dont think you buy a football club to make money, success comes at a cost and one that he is not prepared to take. He has fulfilled his promise when he came here that we would get to the Premiership, never a mention about keepoing us there. A for walking out on the club, I dont know if I would be surprised or not, but he must certainly hve concerns as to what is going on at the club and at what level the desire and determination of the ego-monster to oversee a return to the promised land is, certainly from the outside looking in it doesnt appear that it is something he is working towards, more like clearing his personal debts and doing a runner.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 25 Aug 2009 19:41

I love Tim Dellor - He is spot on. We are so embarassing currently its untrue, every single thing is a joke at the club & I am sick of it.
Give it time, we will be in League 1

petethehornet

by petethehornet » 25 Aug 2009 19:41

Chaney
petethehornet hahahaha.

come back and gloat when he signs for them.

OK, anyway if you do get him, he's very very good - he'll keep you up this year in fact.....

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 25 Aug 2009 19:42

Breaking news, Tommy Smith has car crash on way to Portsmouth, both clubs miss out.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 25 Aug 2009 19:42

howser It will be interesting what BR has to say, he has hung hishat on Smith joining us for a few weeks now and in all honesty it should have been done and dusted weeks ago, he must have known how the ego-monster operates with his intense dislike of transfer fees and wages, and his reluctance to penny pinch deals, in reality £2m pounds for Mills isnt exactly bank busting in the expensive world of football after allthat is th monste he has involved himself in, I dont think you buy a football club to make money, success comes at a cost and one that he is not prepared to take. He has fulfilled his promise when he came here that we would get to the Premiership, never a mention about keepoing us there. A for walking out on the club, I dont know if I would be surprised or not, but he must certainly hve concerns as to what is going on at the club and at what level the desire and determination of the ego-monster to oversee a return to the promised land is, certainly from the outside looking in it doesnt appear that it is something he is working towards, more like clearing his personal debts and doing a runner.

Howser, much like I said to Urzmikep a few posts back- we want to watch what we call our dear leader - Brendywendy and Thaugmurist will get very upset! :D

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 25 Aug 2009 19:45

After the Tommy Smith debacle, tonights programme on BBC4, covering the life of our dear leader has been renamed...its now called...."The Ego has Dented"! :D

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 25 Aug 2009 19:45

we are a laughing stock, trouble is the laughter is coming from the outside..its allpretty pathetic, should have been sorted weeks ago..I say it serves them right and the carrot cruncher should walk for his involvement in this farce!

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 25 Aug 2009 19:45

This is a big disappointment and I think Smith has made a mistake. Unlike most on here I can be objective about Reading; I really thought the chance to link up again with Rodgers would have been a bigger lure than Pompey's temporary Premier League status. I know many of you cannot see beyond the "egomaniac", as you see him, in charge of the club, but were I in Smith's shoes then everything about Reading (other than the current League status) would have been more appealing than Portsmouth. I said the other day that it isn't as if Smith hasn't played in The Premier League. He had a season in a miserably hopeless, 15 points from 38 matches, Premier League Sunderland side a few years ago, so I don't see the appeal of a miserably hopeless Pompey now. I believe Paul Hart is the complete opposite of Rodgers. Rodgers is an exciting, ambitious young Manager with a great future in the game. Hart is apparently a pretty good coach but his limited managerial experience has been decidedly unsuccessful.
I believe Smith is a high quality Championship player and would have been an excellent addition. I don't think he'll add much to Premier League strugglers. Ah well, whatever will be.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 25 Aug 2009 19:47

Hey, maybe the statement is that we've signed him? :| :roll:

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 25 Aug 2009 19:47

tlcs
West Stand Flash Breaking news, Tommy Smith has car crash on way to Portsmouth, both clubs miss out.

Make my day....was Kebe in the car ??

Better than that, Madejski & Hammond

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:49

Royal Rother

Because he has made no secret of the fact that Tommy Smith is his number one target and his bosses, mainly Hammond, are charged with securing the manager's number one transfer target and have failed, if Smith does go to Pompey.

I think Rodgers would have every right to feel let down.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 25 Aug 2009 19:50

thats ok Imamatejovsky, think its time tha everyone opened thier eyes as to just what a laughing stock we and are owner and his righthand men are becomming, maybe have collections at the next couple of home matches and throw it in the coffers, might make his departure quicker !

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:51

Chaney we are a laughing stock, trouble is the laughter is coming from the outside..its allpretty pathetic, should have been sorted weeks ago..I say it serves them right and the carrot cruncher should walk for his involvement in this farce!

It was nothing to do with me.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2009 19:52

Norfolk Royal
Royal Rother

Because he has made no secret of the fact that Tommy Smith is his number one target and his bosses, mainly Hammond, are charged with securing the manager's number one transfer target and have failed, if Smith does go to Pompey.

I think Rodgers would have every right to feel let down.

In truth though if a Premier League club come calling they will get their man over a Championship team 9 times out of 10.
It has been a sorry old saga though.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:53

That's ignoring the argument that Smith could have been secured several weeks ago before Pompey came in for him.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 25 Aug 2009 19:53

Norfolk Royal
Chaney we are a laughing stock, trouble is the laughter is coming from the outside..its allpretty pathetic, should have been sorted weeks ago..I say it serves them right and the carrot cruncher should walk for his involvement in this farce!

It was nothing to do with me.

carrot cruncher as in rabbit lookalike DOF
Last edited by Chaney on 25 Aug 2009 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

2326 posts