Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Tommy Smith Thread

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:54

Chaney
Norfolk Royal
Chaney we are a laughing stock, trouble is the laughter is coming from the outside..its allpretty pathetic, should have been sorted weeks ago..I say it serves them right and the carrot cruncher should walk for his involvement in this farce!

It was nothing to do with me.

carrot cruncher has in rabbit lookalike DOF

I know, i was being self-deprecatingly amusing, or so I thought.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:54

Watford have played us like a fiddle and I bet they made a phone call to Portsmouth inviting them to match our offer.

Also Sky Sports Sources? It's so obviously Watford.

Time to move on. Rodgers has been severely let down by the lcub and Tommy Smith (assuming he signs for Portsmouth)

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 25 Aug 2009 19:54

ROKERITE This is a big disappointment and I think Smith has made a mistake. Unlike most on here I can be objective about Reading; I really thought the chance to link up again with Rodgers would have been a bigger lure than Pompey's temporary Premier League status. I know many of you cannot see beyond the "egomaniac", as you see him, in charge of the club, but were I in Smith's shoes then everything about Reading (other than the current League status) would have been more appealing than Portsmouth. I said the other day that it isn't as if Smith hasn't played in The Premier League. He had a season in a miserably hopeless, 15 points from 38 matches, Premier League Sunderland side a few years ago, so I don't see the appeal of a miserably hopeless Pompey now. I believe Paul Hart is the complete opposite of Rodgers. Rodgers is an exciting, ambitious young Manager with a great future in the game. Hart is apparently a pretty good coach but his limited managerial experience has been decidedly unsuccessful.
I believe Smith is a high quality Championship player and would have been an excellent addition. I don't think he'll add much to Premier League strugglers. Ah well, whatever will be.

I think at 29 ,being offered maybe £25k at Pompey compared to £10-£15k he'd have got at Reading was probably the deciding factor

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 25 Aug 2009 19:54

From the Carling Cup text thing on BBC -

1930: No Tommy Smith in the Watford team to face Leeds. The Hornets have today accepted a bid - thought to be about £1.8m - from Portsmouth for the striker, and told him he can choose between a move to the south coast or round the corner to Reading.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:55

Norfolk Royal That's ignoring the argument that Smith could have been secured several weeks ago before Pompey came in for him.

I doubt it, Watford really didn't want to sell to us but were left in a difficult position with the deadline looming.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2009 19:57

Norfolk Royal That's ignoring the argument that Smith could have been secured several weeks ago before Pompey came in for him.

Probably true NR although I do get the impression Russo would have preferred to have sold Smith to anyone other than us.
Irrespective of that its been a shambles and I hope the club learn that the art of negotiation is not all about pitching in with a derisory offer in the hope of getting the player on the cheap. We wouldn't like it if a club did the same to us.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:58

Wycombe Royal

I doubt it, Watford really didn't want to sell to us but were left in a difficult position with the deadline looming.

Whether they would have accepted the 1.8-million bid two weeks ago being a moot point presumably.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2009 19:58

LOL just LOL if he goes to pompey! :lol: :lol:

Nothing more than we deserve.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 25 Aug 2009 20:00

Wycombe Royal

Stop being an absolute tw@t. From about 5 weeks ago everyone in the world new we had to pay £1.8 Million, nothing more nothing les. They agreed that with Sheff Utd, why would they give any different to Reading???????

The club are a fcking joke & have been shown up even more tonight!!!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Aug 2009 20:01

West Stand Flash They agreed that with Sheff Utd, why would they give any different to Reading???????

Brendan Rodgers. The fact we appointed him and then he opened his mouth. They've been wanting him to join someone else all along.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Aug 2009 20:03

JUST HEARD FROM THE COMMENTARY TEAM FROM THE GAME THAT TOMMY HAS SIGNED FOR PORTSMOUTH.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 25 Aug 2009 20:03

Wycombe Royal
West Stand Flash They agreed that with Sheff Utd, why would they give any different to Reading???????

Brendan Rodgers. The fact we appointed him and then he opened his mouth. They've been wanting him to join someone else all along.

But they have come out & said thats what they wanted, never changed their stance, its just Reading tried to play them stupid & now it has seriously back-fired on them.
Idiots

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 25 Aug 2009 20:03

so now we know why we couldnt attract players in our PL days, negotiating skills of my granny!

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 25 Aug 2009 20:04

Good player, obviously the level we're looking at. Ready for the Championship next season unless they get a fooking move on.

Tell me this isn't true? Distin off and a crock of XXXXXXe like Tommy Smith coming in?
It's not a case of preparing for the Championship. This lot wouldn't survive in the fizzy pop, let alone the Premier League.

pompey fans delighted :)

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2009 20:07

Chaney so now we know why we couldnt attract players in our PL days, negotiating skills of my granny!

+1

Laughable, he's signed for pompey, the football world is laughing at reading and even our own fans have to laugh :lol:

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 25 Aug 2009 20:08

He should have been secured last night after he passed his medical late yesterday afternoon! The fact he wasn't suggests we were barttering with him.

We look an absolute joke!

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 25 Aug 2009 20:10

Ah well lets hope we are busy scouring the french second division for some more bargain buys !!

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 25 Aug 2009 20:11

Deathy

He should have been secured last night after he passed his medical late yesterday afternoon! The fact he wasn't suggests we were barttering with him.

We look an absolute joke!

No big deal, just move on to our next target.

Oh....

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 25 Aug 2009 20:11

Time to get Nathan Tyson - even if it is for the £1.8m that we had grudgingly offered for Smith

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 25 Aug 2009 20:13

Has he really signed for Pompey? What a f*cking carry on! Don't blame the bloke to be honest, I'd have got a bit miffed of all the haggling and even a season in the top division is better than none.

2326 posts