Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
It Is What It Is

Re: The Tommy Smith Transfer Failure Thread

by It Is What It Is » 26 Aug 2009 10:47

All in all i dont blame him to be honest. If it took us months to actually get anywhere near a fee watford wanted, to him it shows we dont have our whole heart in the transfer, and for then a 'bigger' club to chip in with a better deal, i think anyone would go for the bigger premiership club reall. :|

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 10:47

OK - so why do YOU think we haven't signed anyone else yet?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2009 10:48

The Silk Yellow banner on SSN now saying he's having medical.

He had a medical here too!

Al I'll say is what I said the other day, Reading of the clubs he's beenlinked with or have approached him are the least appetising. Pompey are in the PRemiership, at 29 he's got one last chance to amke it there, and Reading aren't getting there anytime soon. Even Watford had a better chance, before they just sold him.

Sheffield Utd and Newcastle would have both been better options but his family didn't want to go up north, fair enough, straight choice of struggling Premiership side Portsmouth on good money or struggling Championship club Reading on less money, 'he wants to join me' Not quite as much as you thought!

Cya.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 26 Aug 2009 10:49

He still has a choice to make.
To many of us, it seems obvious Smith would choose Portsmouth.
However, Portsmouth are (for the moment) financially instable, further from London, and playing as poorly as us.
He also can't be guaranteed first team football with Kanu, Utaka, Nugent all ahead of him in the pecking order.
Still, RFC needs to move on to other targets, because he will sign for Portsmouth almost for certain.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 10:49

If he still wanted to come here, he wouldn't be having a medical at Pompey - he'd have told them he's not interested. Really can't blame him choosing Pompey + Premiership (for however short a time that may be) + more money. Anyone who does blame him for that is bonkers.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Tommy Smith...

by Platypuss » 26 Aug 2009 10:51

Platypuss Slightly concerned that if Smith continues to perform, we continue to dither and under-perform then we may end up with egg on our faces.

Hopefully we don't have all those eggs in one basket.

:|

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 26 Aug 2009 10:55

What a fiasco , Brenda is turning out to be a right *ickhead. Its his fault in the first place by going public on the deal and just goes to show you how disorganised the club really is. The wheels have truley fallen off of the premiership train . Its embarrassing being a Reading fan at the moment :cry: but ha ho its the shape of things to come.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 26 Aug 2009 10:56

SteveRoyal He still has a choice to make.
To many of us, it seems obvious Smith would choose Portsmouth.
However, Portsmouth are (for the moment) financially instable, further from London, and playing as poorly as us.
He also can't be guaranteed first team football with Kanu, Utaka, Nugent all ahead of him in the pecking order.
Still, RFC needs to move on to other targets, because he will sign for Portsmouth almost for certain.

Looks like he has made his choice per SSN breaking news
10.41 Sky Sports News understands that Watford striker Tommy Smith is undergoing a medical at Portsmouth after agreeing personal terms with the Fratton Park club.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2009 10:57

Royal Lady If he still wanted to come here, he wouldn't be having a medical at Pompey - he'd have told them he's not interested. Really can't blame him choosing Pompey + Premiership (for however short a time that may be) + more money. Anyone who does blame him for that is bonkers.

Quite right RL really, once he decides to go and talk with them and agrees everything it's all over. Everything was done for his move here so he wouldn't have gone this far down the road at Pompey if his mind was set on here.

It's been a shambles as soon as Brendan came outand said 'he wants to join me here', Watford have got the last laugh and fair play to them.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 26 Aug 2009 10:57

Royal Lady If he still wanted to come here, he wouldn't be having a medical at Pompey - he'd have told them he's not interested. Really can't blame him choosing Pompey + Premiership (for however short a time that may be) + more money. Anyone who does blame him for that is bonkers.

He wants to keep his choices open. I know I'm arguing against inevitability, but if he point-blank refused Portsmouth, he would have refused a chance to see more facilities and perhaps a better deal, he needs to keep his opportunities open and make the right choice.

North Somerset Royal Looks like he has made his choice per SSN breaking news

10.41 Sky Sports News understands that Watford striker Tommy Smith is undergoing a medical at Portsmouth after agreeing personal terms with the Fratton Park club.

He had a medical at Reading. :|

HolyBadger

by HolyBadger » 26 Aug 2009 11:00

SteveRoyal

He wants to keep his choices open. I know I'm arguing against inevitability, but if he point-blank refused Portsmouth, he would have refused a chance to see more facilities and perhaps a better deal, he needs to keep his opportunities open and make the right choice.

Yes, because he was going to join us, UNTIL Pompey came in. Him having a medical at Pompey means he has agreeed personal terms, which means he has chosen Pompey.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 26 Aug 2009 11:01

HolyBadger
Yes, because he was going to join us, UNTIL Pompey came in. Him having a medical at Pompey means he has agreeed personal terms, which means he has chosen Pompey.

Nevermind, eh? :D We'll just have to move on.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 26 Aug 2009 11:02

Royal Spangle What a fiasco , Brenda is turning out to be a right *ickhead. Its his fault in the first place by going public on the deal and just goes to show you how disorganised the club really is. The wheels have truley fallen off of the premiership train . Its embarrassing being a Reading fan at the moment :cry: but ha ho its the shape of things to come.

We missed out on our top transfer target to a club in a higher division and that makes Rodgers a '*ickhaed'? I hope I never have to get any motivational advice from you! Shape of things to come? Let's just see about that...

No doubt he had big plans for Sminth that would have meant our other targets would not have been necessary. Now he's going elsewhere, we'll revert to plan B.

Get over it.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 26 Aug 2009 11:03

SteveRoyal

Yeah but that was before he knew about the interest from Pompey. The medical is pretty much the last thing that happens before he signs, he's not going to have a medical at Pompey and then suddenly decide he preferred his medical at Reading.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 11:04

79Royal
Royal Spangle What a fiasco , Brenda is turning out to be a right *ickhead. Its his fault in the first place by going public on the deal and just goes to show you how disorganised the club really is. The wheels have truley fallen off of the premiership train . Its embarrassing being a Reading fan at the moment :cry: but ha ho its the shape of things to come.

We missed out on our top transfer target to a club in a higher division and that makes Rodgers a '*ickhaed'? I hope I never have to get any motivational advice from you! Shape of things to come? Let's just see about that...

No doubt he had big plans for Sminth that would have meant our other targets would not have been necessary. Now he's going elsewhere, we'll revert to plan B.

Get over it.

:roll: It's all very well being positive, but you also have to be REALISTIC.

HolyBadger

by HolyBadger » 26 Aug 2009 11:04

Statement from SJM?

"Overall, I think the way we have conducted this (non) transfer, shows our ambition to be playing League 1 football next season."

yuomi

by yuomi » 26 Aug 2009 11:07

HolyBadger Statement from SJM?

"Overall, I think the way we have conducted this (non) transfer, shows our ambition to be playing League 1 football next season."

Jimmy the Tree

by Jimmy the Tree » 26 Aug 2009 11:09

Have to post on here to get the 100 pages.....

Problem was Brendan's talking out of turn that upset Watford and made sure they would make it even more difficult.

No problem with the club trying to get the best price for him rather than just paying what Watford demand for an average player with only a year left on his contract.

Not fussed that we have lost him to be honest (if the money can be spent on a younger player with promise).

Hopefully Rodgers learnt his lesson and so the reason that we haven't heard about any other transfer targets is that we have returned to the Coppell 'No news untill the deal is done', but I really have my doubts.

Duty done, can avoid this thread now....

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 26 Aug 2009 11:10

Has he signed yet.....for Pompey?

HolyBadger

by HolyBadger » 26 Aug 2009 11:13

I don't think Smith was an 'average' player at all.

A lot of people on here wouldn't call Doyle and average player, though Smith only got 1 or 2 goals less than him last season (not from an constant striker position either) and he also got a load more of assists.

I'm very curious to see who our targets are... However, not excited in the slightest.

As for spending the money on a 'Young player with Promise'. That is a huge risk, it's quite clear already our bunch of 'Young players with promise' can't cut it on their own, so why add a few more? We needed somebody along the lines of Smith, somebody proven at this level. Who cares if he had an iffy time in the Premiership before, we certainly won't be there anytime soon.
Last edited by HolyBadger on 26 Aug 2009 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

2326 posts