Tommy Smith - Gazumped by Pompey - Thread

2326 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Tommy Smith Transfer Failure Thread

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2009 13:31

Royal Lady
Dirk Gently
Royal Lady Do you always have to have the medical before agreeing personal terms? I mean, he passed our medical, so he can't be crocked or anything.

No,. it's usually the other way round. Agree terms then check there's no medical problems as the last thing before the actual signature - otherwise teams would be doing unnecessary medicals all the time.
So, why didn't he sign for us straight after his medical? And more to the point, shirley this now indicates that he's agreed personal terms at Pompey, or he wouldn't be bothering to have a medical there.

Mediacl passed at about 2-3 o'clock. All that neeed to be done was to get the press there - the press conference was arranged for about 5 pm (I think).

In that few hours betwen medical and press conference Pompey struck - although, of course, it may be that they were talking to his TS's agent while he was having his medical.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Aug 2009 13:32

brendywendy
I also hate the fact that Watford fans now hate us.

lol

i relish it

not enough hatred in modern sanitised football

Probably the weakest part of my post tbf.

And I forgot to say that I hate the fact the Royalee loves Wendan Wodgers...

HolyBadger

by HolyBadger » 26 Aug 2009 13:33

Dirk Gently Mediacl passed at about 2-3 o'clock. All that neeed to be done was to get the press there - the press conference was arranged for about 5 pm (I think).

In that few hours betwen medical and press conference Pompey struck - although, of course, it may be that they were talking to his TS's agent while he was having his medical.

They don't sign him at the press conference lol. The press conference can be a week later after the signing if they really want...

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 26 Aug 2009 13:36

It doesn't seem a particularly arcane process to me. Whilst Smith is at Reading having his medical, Pompey contact Watford with their bid, which is accepted. Watford therefore contact Smith to say that a bid has been accepted, and he tells Reading that he'd like to speak to Pompey before making a final decision.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 26 Aug 2009 13:37

I understand from confidential club sources that Smith will sign for us if this thread hits 100 pages by midnight tonight - that's why his Portsmouth medical has been delayed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Aug 2009 13:41

rabidbee It doesn't seem a particularly arcane process to me. Whilst Smith is at Reading having his medical, Pompey contact Watford with their bid, which is accepted. Watford therefore contact Smith to say that a bid has been accepted, and he tells Reading that he'd like to speak to Pompey before making a final decision.

Spot on.

I remember hearing a story about Reading trying to keep Omar Daley away from his mobile on the evening he was signing for us. They'd got wind that another club were trying to hijack that move and so they did everything they could to make sure he wasn't made aware of the interest in case he changed his mind.

Pompey would've let Smith or his agent know they were tabling a bid, that's probably why the deal wasn't signed there and then.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 13:43

Shirley the difference here is that, according to Rodgers, Smith WANTED to come here and WANTED to play under Rodgers, so with that in mind, why would he even consider going to Pompey to "have a look at what they were offering", let alone agree to have a medical.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 26 Aug 2009 13:45

Hoop Blah I remember hearing a story about Reading trying to keep Omar Daley away from his mobile on the evening he was signing for us. They'd got wind that another club were trying to hijack that move and so they did everything they could to make sure he wasn't made aware of the interest in case he changed his mind.

that post has quite literally made my day :P

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2009 13:47

Royal Lady Shirley the difference here is that, according to Rodgers, Smith WANTED to come here and WANTED to play under Rodgers, so with that in mind, why would he even consider going to Pompey to "have a look at what they were offering", let alone agree to have a medical.

A very pertinant question - the unknown things are whether Pompey's offer varies from ours in size of fee or personal terms, and also if Watford have now withdrawn acceptance of our offer in light of Pompey's offer (or even if they can do that, legally).

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 Aug 2009 13:47

Southbank Old Boy
brendywendy How not to conduct a transfer by rfc. It would never have happened in coppells day. A shambles. That said things are getting better on the pitch. I hope.

I blame Rodgers for the start of the saga by opening his gob, but with the way Watford have behaved I dont think this would have been your typical RFC transfer even if we had kept it all in house

Watford clearly didnt want to do business with us because we took their manager and they were unhappy about his actions, but we all knew about the Lita interest long before he signed didnt we? That was a bit of an on-off one as well, not to this scale, and we got the result we wanted in the end, but it was hardly the hush hush affair

We also knew about our interest in Fae and Mensah so all this rubbish about not knowing anything until the deal is signed (or not) is a bit of a false impression if you ask me

I do agree this wouldnt have happened under Coppell though. He just wouldnt have gone back to Brighton to sign their star player as he didnt like to rock the boat and he would have just decided we didnt stand a chance in the first place

I know at my advanced age my memory isn't too good but didn't Coppell do just that in going back for Sidwell?

On the question of Rodgers I do like the way he wants us to play but I do fear that he has had lessons in hype from Pardew-hopefully he will grow out of that in time and this whole saga will prove to be a salutory lesson.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 26 Aug 2009 13:52

Scoop! Smith fails Pompey medical, turns out that he's has anterior cruciate indecisiveness!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 26 Aug 2009 13:54

BR2 I know at my advanced age my memory isn't too good but didn't Coppell do just that in going back for Sidwell?

Durrrrrrrrr, you are getting old. It was Pardew who signed Sidwell and it was from Arsenal, not Brighton! :roll:

A suggestion, you could perhaps check out soccerbase.com to confirm what you thought before posting.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Aug 2009 14:01

Dirk Gently
Royal Lady Shirley the difference here is that, according to Rodgers, Smith WANTED to come here and WANTED to play under Rodgers, so with that in mind, why would he even consider going to Pompey to "have a look at what they were offering", let alone agree to have a medical.

A very pertinant question - the unknown things are whether Pompey's offer varies from ours in size of fee or personal terms, and also if Watford have now withdrawn acceptance of our offer in light of Pompey's offer (or even if they can do that, legally).
Perhaps the Reading team Smith wanted to come and join isn't the one we now have, plus he may have been under the impression we would pay him a salary in line with the strikers we had last season.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 26 Aug 2009 14:06

Thaumagurist*
BR2 I know at my advanced age my memory isn't too good but didn't Coppell do just that in going back for Sidwell?

Durrrrrrrrr, you are getting old. It was Pardew who signed Sidwell and it was from Arsenal, not Brighton! :roll:

A suggestion, you could perhaps check out soccerbase.com to confirm what you thought before posting.

A suggestion - you could just shut the fcuk up?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Aug 2009 14:07

Dirk Gently

If it were me, and I wanted to play for Rodgers at Reading but Pompey came in for me, I would at least go and listen to them.

He might well really want to come and play for Rodgers again, but the opportunity to play in the Premiership again, at 29 as well, is one that is a massive draw for any player. You only have to remember the fuss our lot made at being promoted and relegated to realise that.

Not to mention £££££££

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 26 Aug 2009 14:11

Premier league football and much higher wages is obviously the reason IF Tommy Smith signs for Portsmouth and not us.

He will also have been fed the Pompey brave new world under the latest consortium plans by Storrie, about how with serious investment they will be looking to achieve a return to European football, new ground etc, etc...

Onwards and upwards. We have got to give BR more than four games FFS........

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 26 Aug 2009 14:11

Royal With Cheese
Thaumagurist*

A suggestion - you could just shut the fcuk up?

Why? I was pointing out that he was wrong about Coppell buying Sidwell!

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 26 Aug 2009 14:21

Hoop Blah
Dirk Gently

If it were me, and I wanted to play for Rodgers at Reading but Pompey came in for me, I would at least go and listen to them.

He might well really want to come and play for Rodgers again, but the opportunity to play in the Premiership again, at 29 as well, is one that is a massive draw for any player. You only have to remember the fuss our lot made at being promoted and relegated to realise that.

Not to mention £££££££

Very true

And you never know what may happen - No English player in the championship has a sniff of getting in the England squad.
However, who's to say pompey won't go on a run, Smith will play well and get some good press, become the new Teddy Sheringham and get in the squad in time for the world cup. If I was on the brink of signing for a new club and confident in my abilities as I'm sure Smith is I would be dreaming too!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Aug 2009 14:27

Mr Optimist Premier league football and much higher wages is obviously the reason IF Tommy Smith signs for Portsmouth and not us.

He will also have been fed the Pompey brave new world under the latest consortium plans by Storrie, about how with serious investment they will be looking to achieve a return to European football, new ground etc, etc...

Onwards and upwards. We have got to give BR more than four games FFS........

true BR needs more than 4 games but dont see why people are hoping smith will still sign, its a done deal he wont be coming to us.

pompey takeover is now complete, perfect timing

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 26 Aug 2009 14:30

Forbury Lion
Dirk Gently

Perhaps the Reading team Smith wanted to come and join isn't the one we now have, plus he may have been under the impression we would pay him a salary in line with the strikers we had last season.

How could that be when he agreed a deal, we booked the press conference and then he got the call from Pompey? He agreed a deal or he didn't.

2326 posts