RUMOUR - Martyn Waghorn to sign

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Martyn Waghorn to sign

by Snowball » 09 Jun 2011 14:49

Wycombe Royal
Snowball Does 3M for Long (28 goals) seem in the same ball-park as Waghorn's (4 goals) 2M?

For ages you argued that we had to take Shane's career in to account and also to allow for the fact that he was used as a sub a lot (ie goals per minute)

Isn't it only fair to do the same for Waghorn (after all he has been used as a sub quite a bit).

I DID allow for that. I posted his whole career, and said it wasn't bad but 2M seemed a bit high.

4,572 Minutes for 17 goals and 7 assists, almost exactly a goal every 3 full games.

as for those who mention last 2009-10, Long got NINE goals in half a season playing 1,732 minutes. a goal every 192 minutes. That's what you lot call a poor season

1,732 Minutes = 9 Goals Long "Not prolific" (according to some) 192 minutes/goal

but it's noticeably better than Waghorn's

1,176 Minutes = 4 Goals = 294 minutes/goal

I'm not saying the kid might not be great (and he is young), BUT Long has been 9 + 9 + 25 in the last two half-seasons and a full one (plus 5 international goals) and has also scored 5 Premiership goals and another 5 v Premiership opposition.

In a year's time, who knows, but I think 2-3 or 2-4, even 2-5 seems not an accurate distinction between the two players NOW
Last edited by Snowball on 09 Jun 2011 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Jun 2011 14:55

Snowball
Wycombe Royal
Snowball Does 3M for Long (28 goals) seem in the same ball-park as Waghorn's (4 goals) 2M?

For ages you argued that we had to take Shane's career in to account and also to allow for the fact that he was used as a sub a lot (ie goals per minute)

Isn't it only fair to do the same for Waghorn (after all he has been used as a sub quite a bit).

I POSTED his whole career, and said it wasn't bad but 2M seemed a bit high.

4,572 Minutes for 17 goals and 7 assist, almost exactly a goal every 3 full games.

as for those who mention last 2009-10, Long got NINE goals in half a season playing 1,732 minutes. a goal every 192 minutes. That's what you lot call a poor season

Just testing.... :oops:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Jun 2011 14:56

Would be a good signing in my book, exactly the type that we need, young hungry and a desire to play in the Premier League.

I agree with Snowy that £2m might be a little high, but then it would probably be a Mills-esque type fee where by we pay a certain amount now, then more based on promotion, survival etc etc.

But Snowy stop with the Long's been so victimised spiel, people have accepted they were wrong about his future and Shane's got the credit he deserves, let it go :|

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Jun 2011 15:02

Wimb Would be a good signing in my book, exactly the type that we need, young hungry and a desire to play in the Premier League.

I agree with Snowy that £2m might be a little high, but then it would probably be a Mills-esque type fee where by we pay a certain amount now, then more based on promotion, survival etc etc.

But Snowy stop with the Long's been so victimised spiel, people have accepted they were wrong about his future and Shane's got the credit he deserves, let it go :|

Nothing to do with "Long-victimised" I'm just comparing player records.

Agree that if the kids hamstring isn't an issue he has promise 1 in 3 ain't bad, and he often plays wide (McAnuff's replacement! :D )

I was just making the point that Long is being touted at 3-4 Million (I think it should be 6+)
and that in comparison 2M (if true, and it might be bits/max) seems too high.

Mind you a left winger who'd get 12+ goals, a RW getting 12+, Long getting 24 and Hunt approaching 20. That's champions.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Martyn Waghorn to sign

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Jun 2011 15:07

Snowball what was Shane's record like by the age of 21? (I'msure you have the stats somewhere). Waghorn is only 21 and hasn't had many extended runs in a team, a bit like Shane until this season......

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 Jun 2011 15:09

Snowball I was just making the point that Long is being touted at 3-4 Million (I think it should be 6+)
and that in comparison 2M (if true, and it might be bits/max) seems too high.

The years left on their respective contracts would surely also be a factor.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Jun 2011 15:23

I very much doubt we will sell Long for less than 5M and Leicester apparently paid 3M for Waghorn (according to their OS) so 2M would seem fair enough as they are selling at a loss. He has potential and is young enough for Brian to work some magic on.

Would be happy enough with this if is happens.

Also do my eyes deceive me or has 1Berks’ drivel been purged from the system at last – if so hallelujah.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 09 Jun 2011 15:24

Terminal Boardom Will this be the same medical that Tommy Smith is having?

Terminal not worried about the medical ...more worried about it being the same press conference :D...tumbleweed!
Last edited by DOYLERSAROYALER on 09 Jun 2011 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 09 Jun 2011 15:26

andrew1957 I very much doubt we will sell Long for less than 5M and Leicester apparently paid 3M for Waghorn (according to their OS) so 2M would seem fair enough as they are selling at a loss. He has potential and is young enough for Brian to work some magic on.

Also do my eyes deceive me or has 1Berks’ drivel been purged from the system at last – if so hallelujah.

Thank absolute oxf*rd for that! Sign Waghorn up, always had a good turn of pace and a good touch IIRC
Last edited by YateleyRoyal on 09 Jun 2011 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 09 Jun 2011 15:29

YateleyRoyal
andrew1957 I very much doubt we will sell Long for less than 5M and Leicester apparently paid 3M for Waghorn (according to their OS) so 2M would seem fair enough as they are selling at a loss. He has potential and is young enough for Brian to work some magic on.

Also do my eyes deceive me or has 1Berks’ drivel been purged from the system at last – if so hallelujah.[/quote]

Thank absolute oxf*rd for that! Sign Waghorn up, always had a good turn of pace and a good touch IIRC

problem is 1berks is like a tentacle...chop it off...and another will grow...so the fat lady wont be singing just yet!

JRloyalroyal

by JRloyalroyal » 09 Jun 2011 15:36

brendywendy would it all have been ok if he had included the words "by my mate dave a leicester fan", or "big al from the club shop"?

yes, clearly. because if it was big al from the club shop then we know its more than likely rubbish, whereas if it was his old school mate Brian McDermott we know there could actually be a bit of truth in it!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Jun 2011 15:38

YateleyRoyal

Yo no nothin bout fotball. You MUPPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have mate at RFC and i no Fotbal you Dont sho sut the oxf*rd IDIOT!!!!!

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 09 Jun 2011 15:48

Terminal Boardom
YateleyRoyal

Yo no nothin bout fotball. You MUPPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have mate at RFC and i no Fotbal you Dont sho sut the oxf*rd IDIOT!!!!!

Ur right fella, waghor two highly rated not come reading fc we sell long for 12mil to dagenham sign savage as replacement saw Nigell Howe he told me fella 8) 8) 8) :)

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 09 Jun 2011 16:05

Woo hoo 1Berk gone just a few more Berks to go :lol:

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 09 Jun 2011 16:07

Terminal Boardom
YateleyRoyal

:mrgreen:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Jun 2011 16:12

Wycombe Royal Snowball what was Shane's record like by the age of 21? (I'm sure you have the stats somewhere). Waghorn is only 21 and hasn't had many extended runs in a team, a bit like Shane until this season......

They are only one day apart, so Shane is 3 years older.

Shane had 11 goals, 5 in the Premiership

0,565 Minutes 2005-6
1,110 Minutes 2006-7
1,011 Minutes 2007-8

2,786 Minutes, 2,121 of which were as a Premiership player. 11 goals

2,786 Minutes for 11 goals = a goal every 253 Minutes LONG (including 5 Premiership goals )
4,572 Minutes for 17 goals = a goal every 269 minutes WAGHORN

If you add Shane's 4th season you get a similar minutes played...

4,740 Minutes for 21 Goals = 225 minutes per goal LONG (5 in Prem)
4,572 Minutes for 17 Goals = 269 minutes per goal Waghorn

If you ignore the Premiership element, there's not a massive difference, and Waghorn sometime plays wide.
Last edited by Snowball on 09 Jun 2011 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 09 Jun 2011 16:17

andrew1957

I hate to spoil the celebrations but I doubt he is gone - he's probably at school!

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 09 Jun 2011 16:25

urz13
andrew1957

I hate to spoil the celebrations but I doubt he is gone - he's probably at school!

Try searching for any previous posts M9...they're all gone. Even the one he posted earlier in this thread

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Jun 2011 16:28

Snowball
Wycombe Royal Snowball what was Shane's record like by the age of 21? (I'm sure you have the stats somewhere). Waghorn is only 21 and hasn't had many extended runs in a team, a bit like Shane until this season......

They are only one day apart, so Shane is 3 years older.

Shane had 11 goals, 5 in the Premiership

0,565 Minutes 2005-6
1,110 Minutes 2006-7
1,011 Minutes 2007-8

2,786 Minutes, 2,121 of which were as a Premiership player. 11 goals

2,786 Minutes for 11 goals = a goal every 253 Minutes LONG (including 5 Premiership goals )
4,572 Minutes for 17 goals = a goal every 269 minutes WAGHORN

If you add Shane's 4th season you get a similar minutes played...

4,740 Minutes for 21 Goals = 225 minutes per goal LONG (5 in Prem)
4,572 Minutes for 17 Goals = 269 minutes per goal Waghorn

If you ignore the Premiership element, there's not a massive difference, and Waghorn sometime plays wide.

So maybe he could be a decent buy then and might develop quicker if he gets regular games now, rather than having to wait longer like Long did.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 09 Jun 2011 16:31

YateleyRoyal
urz13
andrew1957

Try searching for any previous posts M9...they're all gone. Even the one he posted earlier in this thread

Hadn't tried that. Praise the Lord!