Speculation - Adam Federici

Caskeys Lovechild

Re: Speculation - Adam Federici

by Caskeys Lovechild » 03 Jul 2012 21:56

Let him go - McCarthy is better now, and in the long term anyway....

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 Jul 2012 00:04

Caskeys Lovechild Let him go - McCarthy is better now, and in the long term anyway....

Future - yes, better than Feds now - no hope. He played better than expected when standing in, and did well at Leeds, but made one of the goalkeeping howlers of the season at Ipswich and is still very young.

Feds was part of a watertight defense all season, was first choice keeper for the Champions, almost single-handedly won the away game at Brighton and took home the Football League's Golden Glove award.

You're very wrong, losing Feds would be a big loss.

NattMiles

by NattMiles » 04 Jul 2012 00:43

Caskeys Lovechild Let him go - McCarthy is better now, and in the long term anyway....

Federici was outstanding last season, he should be our No.1 next season. McCarthy will probably go on loan again for further development

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 04 Jul 2012 07:17

Yawn.

Is school already out for summer?

Elmo's Park

by Elmo's Park » 05 Jul 2012 14:02

I can't see Fed's wanting to go as he has worked too hard to get where he is and I doubt he'll want to be warming the bench for Reina. That said, if the club get an offer 'too good to be true' then I could see them giving McCarthy or Anderson the #1 Jersey.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Jul 2012 15:02

Rubbish he wouldn't be guaranteed the number 1 spot at any other clubs that are supposedly going to be further up the table than us and thats no disrespect to Fedders its just the competition between the no 1 and 2 at your Spurs, Chelsea, Villa etc just never going to be guaranteed the amount of games he is after. Wouldn't make sense if he had left he would of gone 2 seasons or so ago when Liverpool were after him or "supposedly"

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 05 Jul 2012 17:26

Federici is a good goal keeper....no doubt about that - but last season he was made to look much better than he is by virtue of a water tight defence - in the same way as Hahnemann was made to look like an outstanding goalkeeper by a team which defended from the front and rarely let anyone in for a chance to score. This was mainly shown up when the Hahnemann moved on, and turned out to not be quite as good as expected.

IMO McCarthy is the goalkeeper I would want between the sticks in the Premier League, where we're more likely to be opened up on a more regular basis, and I would expect Federici to be badly shown up when the defence in front of him is less effective.

Again, IMO, McCarthy is one of the most valuable assets we have at the club right now.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 05 Jul 2012 17:28

Caskeys Lovechild Federici is a good goal keeper....no doubt about that - but last season he was made to look much better than he is by virtue of a water tight defence - in the same way as Hahnemann was made to look like an outstanding goalkeeper by a team which defended from the front and rarely let anyone in for a chance to score.

I'd actually argue the opposite re Federici, I'd suggest he made parts of our defending look more rock solid than it actually was (not saying they were bad, but I think Fed made them look even better). He had an outstanding season last season.

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 05 Jul 2012 17:41

MouldyRoyal
Caskeys Lovechild Federici is a good goal keeper....no doubt about that - but last season he was made to look much better than he is by virtue of a water tight defence - in the same way as Hahnemann was made to look like an outstanding goalkeeper by a team which defended from the front and rarely let anyone in for a chance to score.

I'd actually argue the opposite re Federici, I'd suggest he made parts of our defending look more rock solid than it actually was (not saying they were bad, but I think Fed made them look even better). He had an outstanding season last season.

In some instances he made countless saves and won us games (like Brighton away), he's a top goalkeeper and the best is yet to come, hopefully that will be with Reading in the Premier League and beyond.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 05 Jul 2012 17:42

Some massive saves at the tail end of the season, sealed us the Championship IMO

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 05 Jul 2012 17:53

I used to be of the opinion "let Fedders go, McCarthy is better anyway". But last season my view was slowly turned around, Feds proved his worth and should be number 1, McCarthy will be a top keeper one day and should be loaned out for further development as has been suggested.

I agree McCarthy could be our most valuable asset and should be tied to the club for many years to come, but right now he is very young for a keeper especially in the Prem and needs to hone his skills with a full season on loan as a number 1 in the championship.

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 05 Jul 2012 17:56

He is guilty of being a bit 'Hollywood' on occasion, but there is no doubt Federici was mostly top drawer toward the end of last season. Made some absolutely superb saves and often bailed out the defence.

Not sure McCarthy is ready for the step up yet. Got an Ipswich supporting mate who was thoroughly unimpressed with him during his loan spell last at Portman Road last season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jul 2012 19:04

big big fan of McCarthy. Not particularly fond of Federici, although I recognise he's a good keeper.

Feds absolutely has to start as no 1 this season. I don't think he's done enough in one Championship season (prior to this he was unreliable IMO) to get a move to a better bet than us where he has as much chance of playing every game.

McCarthy and Andersen can fight over the number 1 jersey next season. They're both young enough to have time on their side to do that.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Jul 2012 21:34

Need Federici this season def.

He saved us far more points than Hanneman did in 05/06 - simply because that side was better and not so many chances were created against us..

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 05 Jul 2012 21:36

I think Andersen will be best of the 3 personally, always have

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 05 Jul 2012 23:13

Saaaaaaaammmmmm I think Andersen will be best of the 3 personally, always have

Have a feeling you might be right. For now, I'm a big fan of Fedders.

Nothing, except one game in the cup at Everton, has come close to convincing me that McCarthy is the big deal many on this site think he is. For one thing he needs to come off his line a lot more than he's currently prepared to do.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 05 Jul 2012 23:25

Hm yes, because the many unbelievable and important saves he made last season (i.e. Vs Nimley, Brighton, Southampton etc) were all helped by rock solid defending :|

McCarthy is not as good, yet.

Royalz96

by Royalz96 » 06 Jul 2012 01:09

McCarthy is good, BUT, some of the save Fedders made last season kept us in the games at time and how eople can say he only looked good beacuse of the defence, we got caught out numerous times and Feds saved us,

Elmo's Park

by Elmo's Park » 06 Jul 2012 12:39

I heard a Leeds fan say that he thinks McCarthy is a future England keeper. He is the future for RFC but imo Fedders will start unless sold by the club.
Does anyone think the club hold Anderson in higher regard? He is technically #2 at the mo while Alex gets shipped out on loan

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Jul 2012 13:09

Anderson will be No1 within 2 years