Coppell - Director of Youth Scouting?

Re: Coppell - Director of Youth Scouting?

by 666 » 19 Jul 2012 23:15

Wow, maybe we should get his chief scout in too?

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 19 Jul 2012 23:17

BUR...... nope I wont do it :wink:

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 20 Jul 2012 09:35

lol

pretty sure he delegated that job to someone, can't recall his name though...

Wuzzy87

by Wuzzy87 » 20 Jul 2012 09:38

pea lol

pretty sure he delegated that job to someone, can't recall his name though...

I know who you're thinking of. Just can't remember his name...

In any case. Hammond > Coppell :?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jul 2012 12:09

Who are Notts. Forest? No such club exists? Is Coppell being targetted by some sort of phishing scam?

The young players may have been brought in under Coppell's tenure, but contract negotiation and youth team matters were not his area, so I'd have thought our current youth team set up have already proved their quality and we would be foolish to sack them off to be replaced with Coppell, just because a few of our current first team, were in our youth team when he was manager.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 20 Jul 2012 13:00

Ian Royal Who are Notts. Forest? No such club exists?

Gonna miss going there next season....Hooters that is!

Moory27

by Moory27 » 20 Jul 2012 20:32

It's funny that because believe it or not Brian Mcd was responsible for scouting the players that coppell brought in and also managed the reserves at one stage. Coincidence?

Moory27

by Moory27 » 20 Jul 2012 21:39

TheSiege
Moory27 It's funny that because believe it or not Brian Mcd was responsible for scouting the players that coppell brought in and also managed the reserves at one stage. Coincidence?

I love what BMcD has done at this club but, you can't re-write history to suddenly make the guy the basic force over the last 8 years! By this logic, now that he is manager, he is now not responsible for our recent successes - presumably that is all down to others who are scouting or managing our Reserves?

That would be true to say the recent success wasn't down to Mcd if it wasn't for the fact that he personally scouts the majority of players we look at before buying unlike coppell who goes on the recommendation of others.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 20 Jul 2012 23:28

TheSiege With all of our current euphoria about returning to the Prem, it may have bypassed some peoples attention that the majority of the players who got us there were Coppells reserves! He did not build teams for divisions - he simply built a good team for now(then) and bought young players who might come in as they reached the required age. We sold virtually a complete first team after Coppell left and we still ended up, after a few years, being promoted! I do not, in any way, deride what BMcD has done since, he worked with what was available, but, when a newly financed Notts. Forest are thinking about bringing Coppell in as Director of Football, perhaps, with our intentions of strengthening the youth set-up, I think that he might be a huge acquisition!

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 Jul 2012 22:38

TheSiege Uh, yes, One of us is!

p.s. It is'nt me!

Proof he's an 8-year old?

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 23 Jul 2012 13:06

Thanks for this thread, Siege. Was having a proper Sh*t day at work, came on here in my lunch, read this, and now I'm all cheered up. Thank you for lowering the average IQ of HobNob readers everywhere.

BrockManson

by BrockManson » 23 Jul 2012 15:57

Hello there.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 23 Jul 2012 17:41

There is a serious point to this - Clearly we have benefited hugely from being a stable club and the power of succession from Coppell's time with McDermott (ignoring Rogers for a moment - but even there is a link to it) through to McDermott taking over.. That stability has brought through some good players, probably kept the club financially stable, due to not chopping and changing managers / players and has been the foundation that allowed us to cope despite losing so many good players..

So the serious point is do we feel that there is that same succession in place now, because lets be honest, as much as we idolise him, McDermott is unlikely to do a fergie and stay 25 years+ and whilst the extra roubles have come in handy, i'd hate to see us post McD become a club that has a succession of Billy (lets blow everything) type managers and 300 players the latest manager does not want..

At this point I bow to people closer to the club than I but i'd be interested to know what the general consensus is amongst those more ITK than me..

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jul 2012 00:34

Can we close this thread? It's been rubbish since that numpty came up with the title.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 24 Jul 2012 08:26

Cape Town Royal So the serious point is do we feel that there is that same succession in place now, because lets be honest, as much as we idolise him, McDermott is unlikely to do a fergie and stay 25 years+ and whilst the extra roubles have come in handy, i'd hate to see us post McD become a club that has a succession of Billy (lets blow everything) type managers and 300 players the latest manager does not want..

At this point I bow to people closer to the club than I but i'd be interested to know what the general consensus is amongst those more ITK than me..

To be grooming someone now would be kind of self defeating and unsettling.. I think we just need to go with the flow and deal with whatever happens as and when BMcD goes.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2012 08:50

TheSiege
YateleyRoyal Thanks for this thread, Siege. Was having a proper Sh*t day at work, came on here in my lunch, read this, and now I'm all cheered up. Thank you for lowering the average IQ of HobNob readers everywhere.

Please! The average IQ of HNA contributors is not really a question to be asked! A Mollusc would increase it - although you possibly would not! Albert Einstein was told by his tutors that he would never amount to anything. You have just proved to be ten times thicker than they were!

:lol:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 24 Jul 2012 08:57

PieEater
Cape Town Royal So the serious point is do we feel that there is that same succession in place now, because lets be honest, as much as we idolise him, McDermott is unlikely to do a fergie and stay 25 years+ and whilst the extra roubles have come in handy, i'd hate to see us post McD become a club that has a succession of Billy (lets blow everything) type managers and 300 players the latest manager does not want..

To be grooming someone now would be kind of self defeating and unsettling.. I think we just need to go with the flow and deal with whatever happens as and when BMcD goes.

It's always hard to tell who's doing well behind the scenes. There was never that much hype about Pardew or McDermott while they were here and both got shunted away from the first team picture at some stage (think Pardew might even have been let go when Burns scrapped the Ressies?)

Dolan has obviously had managerial experience and worked wonders with the youth setup while Chris Cummins seems to be doing a decent job right now so maybe one day we could see them given a shot.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 24 Jul 2012 17:13

TheSiege With all of our current euphoria about returning to the Prem, it may have bypassed some peoples attention that the majority of the players who got us there were Coppells reserves! He did not build teams for divisions - he simply built a good team for now(then) and bought young players who might come in as they reached the required age. We sold virtually a complete first team after Coppell left and we still ended up, after a few years, being promoted! I do not, in any way, deride what BMcD has done since, he worked with what was available, but, when a newly financed Notts. Forest are thinking about bringing Coppell in as Director of Football, perhaps, with our intentions of strengthening the youth set-up, I think that he might be a huge acquisition!

Brendan Rogers - wasn't he the accademy director who played a big part in the development of those players?
Brian McDermott - wasn't he the Reading head scout who recommended many of those players?
Steve Coppell - wasn't he the manager who stuck with the old guard for a season too long instead of blooding the youngsters?

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 24 Jul 2012 21:23

Nicky Hammond has been DoF for the last 9 years - the most successful in RFC history, and appointed 3 managers who have all gained promotion to the Premier League (albeit one of them with Swansea). He has also been responsible for the youth development and the signing of players during this time.
TheSiege thinks there is a problem at RFC with a succession plan for BMcD because Coppell left ......
:roll:

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jul 2012 23:49

TheLawnMowerMan Nicky Hammond has been DoF for the last 9 years - the most successful in RFC history, and appointed 3 managers who have all gained promotion to the Premier League (albeit one of them with Swansea). He has also been responsible for the youth development and the signing of players during this time.
TheSiege thinks there is a problem at RFC with a succession plan for BMcD because Coppell left ......
:roll:

Aye, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.