Gylfi Sigurdsson

1194 posts
urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

by urz13 » 19 Nov 2012 17:40

Optimist I know it's highly unlikely, but IF he came back in January and Brian played him in the number 10 role, who would you put as the striker in front of him? Atm I'm not sure any of our strikers would be suited to that style.

ALF

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Nov 2012 17:50

I won't believe it until BigMike confirms.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 19 Nov 2012 18:13

Could be on...!! My contact saw Gylfi turn left out the players car park today at Spurs. Afterall that's the direction you would take if you were going to head towards Reading...

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 19 Nov 2012 18:57

Skin Could be on...!! My contact saw Gylfi turn left out the players car park today at Spurs. Afterall that's the direction you would take if you were going to head towards Reading...

:lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Nov 2012 19:05

Optimist I know it's highly unlikely, but IF he came back in January and Brian played him in the number 10 role, who would you put as the striker in front of him? Atm I'm not sure any of our strikers would be suited to that style.

Pog or ALF. Roberts doesn't score enough. Hunt is a support striker.

jellytot

by jellytot » 19 Nov 2012 19:46

No chance i am afraid. I supppse a tiny chance of a loan spell but i would be astounded. He is a top six player and could get into any team. Anyway keep dreaming!

Expecting one or two out in jan and 3 or 4 in. Think if we are around the 20 point mark will be in a stronger spot than say 15 and struggling.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 19 Nov 2012 20:00

jellytot No chance i am afraid. I supppse a tiny chance of a loan spell but i would be astounded. He is a top six player and could get into any team. Anyway keep dreaming!

Expecting one or two out in jan and 3 or 4 in. Think if we are around the 20 point mark will be in a stronger spot than say 15 and struggling.

But doesn't seem to be in the Spurs team.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 19 Nov 2012 20:17

The prospect of Gylfi back would whet any supporters appetite but regardless of availability/price/his desire, I just don' t think McD will risk upsetting our 4-4-2 formula, especially after the early season experimentation with 4-5-1. He has just said so himself that 4-4-2 is proven to suit us best.

Don't disagree with that, the only problem will be that it is not that hard to second guess how we are set up and as the season progresses, the oppo will increasingly know how to deal with us - As Norwich did against Man U by sticking 2 players on their wingers.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Nov 2012 21:44

grey_squirrel The prospect of Gylfi back would whet any supporters appetite but regardless of availability/price/his desire, I just don' t think McD will risk upsetting our 4-4-2 formula, especially after the early season experimentation with 4-5-1. He has just said so himself that 4-4-2 is proven to suit us best.

Don't disagree with that, the only problem will be that it is not that hard to second guess how we are set up and as the season progresses, the oppo will increasingly know how to deal with us - As Norwich did against Man U by sticking 2 players on their wingers.

We know Gylfi would settle in. He's easily good enough to build our team around. He's got goals in him and he'd solve our lack of creativity and threat through the middle, whilst allowing us to keep playing two defensive midfielders. We wouldn't need a second striker with him playing. He'd probably work well with ALF and Pog. He'd take pressure off the wingers.

Basically, he'd utterly change our season and improve our team and squad immensely. I can't think of any player we've ever had who would be more capable of single handedly turning around our fortunes. I guess maybe Friday had it but he was before my time. And that's why he's too good for us and out of our league.

LondonRoyal1871

by LondonRoyal1871 » 20 Nov 2012 12:56

Karacan, Sidwell and Gylfi in the middle would be incredible. Sadly neither signing to make this happen is particularly likely.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 20 Nov 2012 14:13

Can we join this to the previous Gylfi thread? We may yet get a record you know.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 20 Nov 2012 14:41

Ian Royal
grey_squirrel The prospect of Gylfi back would whet any supporters appetite but regardless of availability/price/his desire, I just don' t think McD will risk upsetting our 4-4-2 formula, especially after the early season experimentation with 4-5-1. He has just said so himself that 4-4-2 is proven to suit us best.

We know Gylfi would settle in. He's easily good enough to build our team around. He's got goals in him and he'd solve our lack of creativity and threat through the middle, whilst allowing us to keep playing two defensive midfielders. We wouldn't need a second striker with him playing. He'd probably work well with ALF and Pog. He'd take pressure off the wingers.

Basically, he'd utterly change our season and improve our team and squad immensely. I can't think of any player we've ever had who would be more capable of single handedly turning around our fortunes. I guess maybe Friday had it but he was before my time. And that's why he's too good for us and out of our league.
LondonRoyal1871 Karacan, Sidwell and Gylfi in the middle would be incredible. Sadly neither signing to make this happen is particularly likely.

Don't disagree with either but this would leave us with only one defensive CM and we are already a liability with two!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Nov 2012 14:44

Sigurdsson is the next Sidwell.

A good player but not good enough to hold down a place in a Top 6 team, forever revered by RFC fans who will still be desperate to get him back 5+ years after he left.

Maybe.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 20 Nov 2012 15:24

Elm Park Pasty Can we join this to the previous Gylfi thread? We may yet get a record you know.

You know it makes sense...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Nov 2012 17:57

grey_squirrel
Ian Royal

LondonRoyal1871 Karacan, Sidwell and Gylfi in the middle would be incredible. Sadly neither signing to make this happen is particularly likely.

Don't disagree with either but this would leave us with only one defensive CM and we are already a liability with two!

Sidwell's shown he can pull a shift defensively and no one has suggested playing Gylfi and one other midfielder.

ReadingKC

by ReadingKC » 20 Nov 2012 18:41

Royal Rother Sigurdsson is the next Sidwell.

A good player but not good enough to hold down a place in a Top 6 team, forever revered by RFC fans who will still be desperate to get him back 5+ years after he left.

Maybe.

We already have Shorey back and Bryn is still here... Let's re-construct the 06 outfit. What are Seol Ki-Hyeon and James Harper doing?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Nov 2012 19:18

Ian Royal

Pog or ALF. Roberts doesn't score enough. Hunt is a support striker.

LONG

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 20 Nov 2012 23:48

yeah well if we're getting sigurdsson why not i guess :roll:

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 22 Nov 2012 19:43

In the starting line-up tonight but substituted, seems to me he made the wrong move there, big team does not equal regular starts. but I would guess Rodgers will be first in the queue if he wants to move.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 22 Nov 2012 19:48

windermere_royal In the starting line-up tonight but substituted, seems to me he made the wrong move there, big team does not equal regular starts. but I would guess Rodgers will be first in the queue if he wants to move.

He had an 'ok' game, showed glimpses of his talent - but was relatively inconsistent. All the better for us! :( :)

1194 posts