McDermott targets loan deals

RedRum

McDermott targets loan deals

by RedRum » 06 Dec 2012 19:20

Can't see this posted anywhere but this was on sky sports today:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8314312/Reading-boss-Brian-McDermott-targets-two-Premier-League-veterans-in-transfer-window

McDermott admits January is a difficult time to purchase players, but he has targeted a couple of loan deals that will help the Royals in their battle against relegation.

"We need players who have played at this level and know the league," he said. "If we can get one or two players who know the league off by heart it's good because they can hit the ground running.

"We have two or three targets and if the budget's there, it's there and we have to wait. I'm involved in that decision-making process, but it comes down to finances.

"There could be a loan, but I only like to sign loan players that we might actually buy permanently.

"I've got my eye on a couple of players, but we're still a way away. January is never an easy window to deal in."

Pavel Pogrebnyak is a doubt for Saturday's trip to Southampton after sustaining an unspecified injury playing for the reserves, while no date is being set for goalkeeper Alex McCarthy's return from shoulder surgery.

"We don't want to put a time frame on Alex except to say it will be a long time," said McDermott.

Reading lost a 4-3 thriller at home to Manchester Unitedlast weekend, but McDermott is willing to sacrifice entertainment in favour of a winning run.

Victory at St Mary's will see Reading leapfrog Southampton in the Premier League table, and McDermott is desperate to end a run of three successive defeats.

"The players, the manager, the staff, the fans and my mum would take any type of win," he said.

"The Manchester United match was great for our fans and we've had some fantastic games at Madejski Stadium with lots of goals which is really entertaining, but our fans want results as well. That's what we're in the business for."

"It's possible to take satisfaction from matching a team like Manchester United - look at the finances and budgets we're up against. But myself and the players want to win.

"In the dressing room after Manchester United we didn't say we 'well we scored three goals', we said 'we lost the game'. There was satisfaction after we beat Everton.
"I'm doing the best I possibly can every day, as are the players. The fans are staying with us, which is really important. We're trying to win games.

"I'm absolutely 100 per cent behind the players that we have, I know they can do it, they've proved it in the past.

"We just need a little change, a little bit of something that can make the difference. Then it will come, I'm convinced about it.

"Not winning is embarrassing and you want to win for the fans and that's what we're trying to do.

"The best feeling in the world is when you go to your supporters at the end of an away game having won."

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: McDermott targets loan deals

by floyd__streete » 06 Dec 2012 19:43

RedRum "January is never an easy window to deal in."

Just as he says every away venue is "a tough place to go" :lol:

Welcome comments though. I don't care if the loan market is inherently short-termist; we have 'short-termist' plans to somehow escape relegation from this division and many other clubs use the loan market successfully. Lets bring in some quality and have a good go.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 06 Dec 2012 20:28

they've proved it in the past.

in an massively inferior division Brian, and it shows.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 06 Dec 2012 21:10

friedel, joe cole and a defender???....

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 06 Dec 2012 22:11

Hardly a surprise when we don't know what division we'll be in next season. Only lower league punts will come here perm, or older experienced heads like another Roberts.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 07 Dec 2012 00:11

Personally I would be very happy with either Lee Camp or Paul Robinson to replace Federici. I feel sorry for Federici to be honest but time is running out to allow him to regain his confidence - well, actually it's run out really. Sig on loan would be fantastic and we need cover for Shorey. Personally all three of these would please me enormously but I doubt it will happen.

jellytot

by jellytot » 07 Dec 2012 00:40

A couple of loans! They had better be good as our summer signings have been average to say the least. What have TSI spent money on this season? A couple of bulbs in the east stand?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 07 Dec 2012 03:22

Any/all players we would bring in with PL experience would be welcome. Our current squad is very close to being one which could survive. We just need a couple of/few players who have shown they can compete at this level. An attacking midfielder, acquire Joe Cole or Gylfi on loan are good shouts, maybe another striker, like a Kevin Doyle, and cover for Shorey...all of whom have been mentioned by others on this thread or other active threads.

Glad to hear something from Brian on bringing people in...encouraging. 8)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Dec 2012 07:21

Cripple Creek Personally I would be very happy with either Lee Camp or Paul Robinson to replace Federici. I feel sorry for Federici to be honest but time is running out to allow him to regain his confidence - well, actually it's run out really. Sig on loan would be fantastic and we need cover for Shorey. Personally all three of these would please me enormously but I doubt it will happen.

We have 3 fit and available keepers so we won't be signing one this Jan esp. when there are other areas needed attention.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 07 Dec 2012 08:58

Dullest manager in history. I'm hoping he doesnt get the chance to buy and the new manager does.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 07 Dec 2012 09:09

Its worrying that BM keeps saying his players have proved they can do it in the past. No Brian they have proved they can do it in a far less superior division. They have proved they are well short in this division. If all he can get is possibly a couple of loanees then why did we bother getting promoted. Is the problem Brian being too loyal or is there no money?

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 07 Dec 2012 09:15

Let's just enjoy this division, if we stay up that's amazing. Everyone just chill the fcuk out and back the manager. Because if we don't we will end up with Ian dowie and no one wants that.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 07 Dec 2012 09:15

We don't need cover for Shorey - we've got Harte and Cummings can be left back if need be. It might even be McAnuffs undiscovered best position.

Brian makes it sound like we're only a Hayden Mullins and a Benik Afobe away from having a chance of staying up... :?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Dec 2012 09:28

Whereas we really need a Cedric Baseya

RoyaltyInMyBlood

by RoyaltyInMyBlood » 07 Dec 2012 09:32

John Guidetti would be a great loan IMO, scored 20 in 23 at Feyenoord last season and cant get a game at City. I expect others will be in for him tho.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Dec 2012 09:39

All this critisism of Federici is a little unfair i think.

Look at the stats of shots on target against our team and it's far above last season so more opportunity for mistakes. Any keeper would struggle in a team like ours...................probably. :shock:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Dec 2012 09:41

RoyaltyInMyBlood John Guidetti would be a great loan IMO, scored 20 in 23 at Feyenoord last season and cant get a game at City. I expect others will be in for him tho.

Great player and someone we've been after before too - he had the option to join us when he went to Burnley, although he didnt' last long with them anyway.

I think he's a bit out of our range now though?

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 07 Dec 2012 10:03

maffff
RoyaltyInMyBlood John Guidetti would be a great loan IMO, scored 20 in 23 at Feyenoord last season and cant get a game at City. I expect others will be in for him tho.

Great player and someone we've been after before too - he had the option to join us when he went to Burnley, although he didnt' last long with them anyway.

I think he's a bit out of our range now though?

Not necessarily, In my eyes City will want him to gain PL experience and with the current City frontline unless Ballotelli leaves in Jan I can't see him getting a sniff of the action. Surely Guidetti would want to prove he can perform in the PL. Realistically I think this could happen if we pursued it.

As for Brian saying he only loans players who he normally has a chance of signing on a perm, we are at the level and stage of the season where big players coming in on loan who we may not have a chance of signing on a perm could change our season for us. e.g. Guidetti, Nick Powell, etc.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Dec 2012 10:22

Focher
they've proved it in the past.

in an massively inferior division Brian, and it shows.

last year everyone was saying the championship was getting closer and closer cos all the promoted teams played well, stayed up etc
its somewhere in between those two views imo

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Dec 2012 10:23

Lacoste Dullest manager in history. I'm hoping he doesnt get the chance to buy and the new manager does.

youre getting a tad dull yourself there tbf