Rumour - Gary Hooper

1074 posts
teignmouth hoops

Re: Rumour - Gary Hooper

by teignmouth hoops » 03 Jul 2013 11:33

The worrying thing is if Hooper & Austin are out of the picture, who are we going to get, because we sure as hell need to strengthen. Current forwards Roberts- injury prone but brilliant, Alfie would be great with the right partner but cannot lead attack, Blackman too inexperienced, but might come good. Pog- Donkey

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Jul 2013 11:34

i believe there are more than two good strikers available, so i reckon we'll be ok

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 03 Jul 2013 11:35

teignmouth hoops The worrying thing is if Hooper & Austin are out of the picture, who are we going to get, because we sure as hell need to strengthen. Current forwards Roberts- injury prone but brilliant, Alfie would be great with the right partner but cannot lead attack, Blackman too inexperienced, but might come good. Pog- Donkey

You do know there are a shed load of strikers in the world don't you?

We have watched over 900 games. Pretty sure they are looking at more then 2

Don't panic when made up rumours don't come off

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 03 Jul 2013 11:58

Strangely enough i do realise there are shed loads of strikers around, but not proven goalscorers, otherwise we will end with another useless russian a la Pog

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 03 Jul 2013 12:26

teignmouth hoops The worrying thing is if Hooper & Austin are out of the picture, who are we going to get, because we sure as hell need to strengthen. Current forwards Roberts- injury prone but brilliant, Alfie would be great with the right partner but cannot lead attack, Blackman too inexperienced, but might come good. Pog- Donkey

I can't believe there are people who genuinely think Roberts is better than Pog.

Those who rate Roberts are remembering him vs. championship defenses, and remembering Pog vs. top prem defenses.

I'm convinced that we'll see a different Pog this season (if he stays), because the standard of defenses will be significantly worse. Plus lets hope the service will be better this year with additions such as Drenthe.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jul 2013 12:26

Agreed.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 03 Jul 2013 12:42

Rollerbob

I can't believe there are people who genuinely think Roberts is better than Pog.

Are you kidding? Pog can't jump, he wins next to nothing in the hair, he is pretty average at holding the ball up. He didn't actually do a lot right last season. He's got a great left peg though. Roberts is strong, he knows every trick in the book to get the better of his marker, and that includes winding them up to the point of reacting, he does win the ball in the air, he can hold the ball up and bring others into play, and yes he can finish, both with his nugget and his feet. He's a far better forward, most certainly at this level. And he can still shift too, where as Pog is like a bus.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jul 2013 12:48

teignmouth hoops Strangely enough i do realise there are shed loads of strikers around, but not proven goalscorers, otherwise we will end with another useless russian a la Pog

There are quite a few proven goalscorers around as well. And Pog is far from useless.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 03 Jul 2013 13:01

SPARTA Are you kidding? Pog can't jump, he wins next to nothing in the hair, he is pretty average at holding the ball up. He didn't actually do a lot right last season. He's got a great left peg though. Roberts is strong, he knows every trick in the book to get the better of his marker, and that includes winding them up to the point of reacting, he does win the ball in the air, he can hold the ball up and bring others into play, and yes he can finish, both with his nugget and his feet. He's a far better forward, most certainly at this level. And he can still shift too, where as Pog is like a bus.

He holds up play quite well I thought, considering he was totally on his own most of last season against some very good defenders. The only attribute I think Roberts has over Pog is that, like you say, he winds up opponents. Many completely overrate Roberts because of his impact on us 2 seasons ago. At the start of the season, when Roberts was fit, his performances were dire.

I'm not that much of a Pog fan to be honest; I do find him a bit lazy, but all this talk of Roberts being the better player is nonsense.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 03 Jul 2013 13:19

We wont be spending £4-5-6m on anyone! Come on people!

We're prepared to pay big wages, but not big transfer fees as well (yet). Two free's, a re-signed Pearce and a deal around £1.5m for Williams. We will see a striker come in for maybe £1.5m as well, and another bargain type signing.

Osborns scoop

by Osborns scoop » 03 Jul 2013 13:37

Rollerbob Are you kidding? Pog can't jump, he wins next to nothing in the hair, he is pretty average at holding the ball up. He didn't actually do a lot right last season. He's got a great left peg though. Roberts is strong, he knows every trick in the book to get the better of his marker, and that includes winding them up to the point of reacting, he does win the ball in the air, he can hold the ball up and bring others into play, and yes he can finish, both with his nugget and his feet. He's a far better forward, most certainly at this level. And he can still shift too, where as Pog is like a bus.

At least the Pog has hair, which is more than can be said for Roberts.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 03 Jul 2013 13:44

All Roberts ever does is oxf*rd moan, moan and then moan some more waving his hands about

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 03 Jul 2013 13:50

When Dellor, Williams and Gooding were talking about Roberts and Pog, they all agreed Pog was better Technically and better all round player. Roberts just seems to have his strength when he doesn't decide to go down.

littlejohnnyoster

by littlejohnnyoster » 03 Jul 2013 13:55

i hate roberts

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 03 Jul 2013 13:57

littlejohnnyoster i hate roberts

:mrgreen: Yaaay!! I'm not alone!!

Hungary Royal

by Hungary Royal » 03 Jul 2013 14:02

So I take it that this one may be happening but the percentage chance of it happening are under 50%? Like a few others have said here, there are plenty of other strikers that we could get if we wanted. Hooper, Pog and Austin would be an ace trio to choose from, not to mention Alf, who could do a great job if he has a partner up top. However, if we don't get Hooper or Austin, I'm sure we'd be able to pick up someone else who is quality.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 03 Jul 2013 14:25

SPARTA is a fcuking retard. At least Pog challenges in the air - if Roberts can't bring it down he just lets it sail over his head - his header vs Saints is pretty much his only ever header in his Reading career. I love Roberts, but Pog is much much better

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 03 Jul 2013 14:30

teignmouth hoops Pog- Donkey

You know nothing fool.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 03 Jul 2013 14:32

Pog is much better than Roberts. If Roberts was playing last season I doubt he would have been able to do any more than what pog managed to do, or in this case never managed to do.

Pog over Roberts any day of the week for me. Strikers are only as good as the service they get, hence why pog never done a great deal last season

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Jul 2013 14:42

Whatever madarse's think about Pog/Roberts, I'm sure they would be delighted that people are willing to kill each other over them.

1074 posts