Rumour: Federici to Leeds

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rumour: Federici to Leeds

by Royal Ginger » 07 Jul 2013 13:04

If you look at McCarthy's loan spells you'll find his inconstancy there. He's also got his flaps to rival some of Feds'. Think the goal he almost gifted at Swansea, his red card on loan for Leeds. All keepers make howlers from time to time, Al-Habsi is an excellent keeper and he gifted us a goal last year. McCarthy's shown some pure brilliance, but he's not the messiah, and Feds is a very good goal keeper, more than good enough for our current level. If you're going to sell to make some cash as suggested, sell McCarthy whilst his stock is high.

41 shirt. I think it's a sign.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 07 Jul 2013 13:06

Royal Ginger If you look at McCarthy's loan spells you'll find his inconstancy there. He's also got his flaps to rival some of Feds'. Think the goal he almost gifted at Swansea, his red card on loan for Leeds. All keepers make howlers from time to time, Al-Habsi is an excellent keeper and he gifted us a goal last year. McCarthy's shown some pure brilliance, but he's not the messiah, and Feds is a very good goal keeper, more than good enough for our current level. If you're going to sell to make some cash as suggested, sell McCarthy whilst his stock is high.

He wore 41 before he broke into the side. It means nothing, and the club haven't officially announced squad numbers yet.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Jul 2013 13:58

One8Seven1
Royal Ginger If you look at McCarthy's loan spells you'll find his inconstancy there. He's also got his flaps to rival some of Feds'. Think the goal he almost gifted at Swansea, his red card on loan for Leeds. All keepers make howlers from time to time, Al-Habsi is an excellent keeper and he gifted us a goal last year. McCarthy's shown some pure brilliance, but he's not the messiah, and Feds is a very good goal keeper, more than good enough for our current level. If you're going to sell to make some cash as suggested, sell McCarthy whilst his stock is high.

He wore 41 before he broke into the side. It means nothing, and the club haven't officially announced squad numbers yet.

We'll see. Interesting that everyone else is wearing the numbers you'd expect...

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 07 Jul 2013 14:18

Royal Ginger
One8Seven1

We'll see. Interesting that everyone else is wearing the numbers you'd expect...

So what's to say McCarthy hasn't asked for 41 while 1 is pending..?As I said, he worse 41 in the past.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Jul 2013 14:21

One8Seven1 So what's to say McCarthy hasn't asked for 41 while 1 is pending..?As I said, he worse 41 in the past.

I agree it may well mean nothing, however, why wouldn't he just wear 21?

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 07 Jul 2013 14:30

Royal Ginger
One8Seven1 So what's to say McCarthy hasn't asked for 41 while 1 is pending..?As I said, he worse 41 in the past.

I agree it may well mean nothing, however, why wouldn't he just wear 21?

No idea mate, perhaps 41 being his first number he used means something to him. Hopefully it's all something of nothing.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 07 Jul 2013 14:50

He's moved to 41 to let another player have 21, but only temporary until Federici leaves and he takes the 1 shirt... :wink:

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Jul 2013 15:09

Seems like a rather convoluted way of doing it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jul 2013 16:17

The difference is McCarthy is young and relatively inexperienced and Federici is not, yet makes as many, or IMO more, mistakes. Federici is reaching a plateau where he's unlikely to get significantly better. McCarthy is still very much on the upward curve and is about the same or slightly ahead of Federici already. He's streets ahead of where Federici was at the same age.

McCarthy's also English, home grown and not trying to emulate Neville Southall and Paddy Kenny in the surprisingly good for their weight category.

As I said a few posts up, McCarthy's rep and pricetag are only going to go up, so we'd do well to hold on for as long as possible and then sell, rather than losing him now. Federici, in form, is easily good enough for this level, and even at his more ropey is still ok. But with another season under his belt McCarthy would be better able to step up to the PL if we got promoted.

Unless the club knows there's no hope of keeping McCarthy he's the obvious first choice. And Feds is unlikely to sit happily on the bench, there's plenty of indications he's not been willing to do so in the past. It's also a big expense in wages to keep both so it makes sense to cash in on one now.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 07 Jul 2013 19:57

Ian Royal

The difference is McCarthy is young and relatively inexperienced and Federici is not, yet makes as many, or IMO more, mistakes. Federici is reaching a plateau where he's unlikely to get significantly better. McCarthy is still very much on the upward curve and is about the same or slightly ahead of Federici already. He's streets ahead of where Federici was at the same age.

McCarthy's also English, home grown and not trying to emulate Neville Southall and Paddy Kenny in the surprisingly good for their weight category.

As I said a few posts up, McCarthy's rep and pricetag are only going to go up, so we'd do well to hold on for as long as possible and then sell, rather than losing him now. Federici, in form, is easily good enough for this level, and even at his more ropey is still ok. But with another season under his belt McCarthy would be better able to step up to the PL if we got promoted.

Unless the club knows there's no hope of keeping McCarthy he's the obvious first choice. And Feds is unlikely to sit happily on the bench, there's plenty of indications he's not been willing to do so in the past. It's also a big expense in wages to keep both so it makes sense to cash in on one now.

Fair points, if he does stay it'll add even more pressure to go up. If they manage to convince him to stay this year, i very much doubt he'd stay after a failed promotion attempt, by which time of course his star will have faded a little and we'll not get the money for him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jul 2013 20:15

I don't think a 'keeper's star will fade for not gaining promotion. At least not unless he has a very poor season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2013 20:30

leon
Hoop Blah
leon he's a good keeper, actually a very good keeper. Why do we want to get rid, ffs?

Because he's not as good as the guy who's going to keep him out of the side and he's going to be a very expensive backup.

That tends to be the case. Besides are we certain McCarthy is not going anywhere

I'm not certain at all no. I don't know any of the ins and outs of either keepers situation though so I'm talking hypothetically and just answering your question.

The club will have a decent idea of what both are planning and also know that if they can keep McCarthy they've got one of the best young keepers around. To keep him they're going to have to play him. If you play him you can't play Federici and he'll most likely be wanting to leave anyway.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 07 Jul 2013 21:16

LoyalRoyalFan
sandman Yeah the "bad attitude" where he slept on someone's floor to earn a contract or the "bad attitude" where he is one of the first in training.

You seemed to have missed his inconsistency and how he seems to blame everyone but himself.

Where's an example of him blaming others? I can only remember him holding his hand up and apologising. And there's no proof he's one of the highest earners either

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Jul 2013 21:19

urz13
LoyalRoyalFan
sandman Yeah the "bad attitude" where he slept on someone's floor to earn a contract or the "bad attitude" where he is one of the first in training.

You seemed to have missed his inconsistency and how he seems to blame everyone but himself.

Where's an example of him blaming others? I can only remember him holding his hand up and apologising. And there's no proof he's one of the highest earners either

I seem to remember in at least one game where Federici hesitated coming off his line, he had so much space and time to do so and then the opposition capitalised on his faffing about by putting it in the back of the net. He immediately blamed his defenders when he should have come off his line.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 07 Jul 2013 21:21

LoyalRoyalFan
urz13
LoyalRoyalFan You seemed to have missed his inconsistency and how he seems to blame everyone but himself.

I seem to remember in at least one game where Federici hesitated coming off his line, he had so much space and time to do so and then the opposition capitalised on his faffing about by putting it in the back of the net. He immediately blamed his defenders when he should have come off his line.

I assume you heard his exact words then?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Jul 2013 21:22

urz13 I assume you heard his exact words then?

Sitting about three rows away from him behind the goal, I had a pretty good jist of what he was saying.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jul 2013 19:02

urz13
LoyalRoyalFan

I think it was after the Palace game when he conceeded three soft goals from range that he even came out in the press after bemoaning how his team-mates had allowed them too much time and room to get shots in on him.

He was more at fault than the defenders for allowing a couple of 25 yard efforts to get by them.

Like most keepers you can see him having a pop at his defenders or waving his arms at players after he's cocked up. He has also held his hands up to mistakes at times, but then considering the number he's made over the year he bloody well should do!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 09 Jul 2013 20:18

LoyalRoyalFan

Sitting about three rows away from him behind the goal, I had a pretty good jist of what he was saying.

gist

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 09 Jul 2013 20:22

West Stand Man
LoyalRoyalFan

gist

fist

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jul 2013 21:42

list