2013 Summer Transfer Window

801 posts
Royal Monk

Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window

by Royal Monk » 17 Jul 2013 20:49

Why are you complaining before the transfer window is shut ?

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 17 Jul 2013 21:05

Because that is what TheSiege does.

Cypry

by Cypry » 17 Jul 2013 21:13

FridaysGhost If RFC do not buy a decent striker before the Season starts, our squad will be so unbalanced as to be laughable. A Hooper, Rhodes, Austin or like are required for our team to be promotion candidates and a good back-up (like Sharp) would also help. We are great at attracting good free transfers but, when money needs to be spent, it seems that the old failed RFC ethos is still in evidence. If we need Rhodes or Hooper or Austin (which we do), BLOODY PAY FOR THEM! The rewards when we get re-promoted will be far more than worth it.

Is that the ethos that's seen us to two promotions and two playoff places in the last five attempts at the Championship?
If that's failure, then let's have more failure please.....

We maintain a very high wage bill, and we partly achieve that by not spending big chunks of cash on transfer fees....that's the way it has been through all of those recent years in the Championship...
Granted, that approach didn't work last year in the PL, but we aren't in the PL next year, so why not continue with the approach that's been so successful in previous Championship years?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jul 2013 23:15

Absolutely. What we need to change is what we do when we get promoted. And that's as much about improving our scouting for identifying PL capable players. Our scouting is good, but it's main focus has been finding Championship quality players who might be able to step up. It's failed miserably when we've actually got up.

We're already doing a lot to address that. If we keep at it and then are able to spend £10m - £15m on transfer fees for players who are worth it, having got a squad more capable of stepping up in the first place and we may be fine. Then its a case of maintaining that and consolidating up there.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 17 Jul 2013 23:21

FridaysGhost Rhodes

Cock.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Jul 2013 13:00

Ian Royal Absolutely. What we need to change is what we do when we get promoted. And that's as much about improving our scouting for identifying PL capable players. Our scouting is good, but it's main focus has been finding Championship quality players who might be able to step up. It's failed miserably when we've actually got up.

We're already doing a lot to address that. If we keep at it and then are able to spend £10m - £15m on transfer fees for players who are worth it, having got a squad more capable of stepping up in the first place and we may be fine. Then its a case of maintaining that and consolidating up there.

Completely agree! I think we should focus our spending when we actually are in the premier league! I dont think spending 6 million on a player is a good idea until we are back up there! then go nuts! west ham and southampton stayed up by following that model! look at Norwich too now able to buy quality players by doing that!

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 18 Jul 2013 17:24

NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal Absolutely. What we need to change is what we do when we get promoted. And that's as much about improving our scouting for identifying PL capable players. Our scouting is good, but it's main focus has been finding Championship quality players who might be able to step up. It's failed miserably when we've actually got up.

Completely agree! I think we should focus our spending when we actually are in the premier league! I dont think spending 6 million on a player is a good idea until we are back up there! then go nuts! west ham and southampton stayed up by following that model! look at Norwich too now able to buy quality players by doing that!

:| And QPR did that, and look how well it worked.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Jul 2013 18:12

No that's not what QPR did. QPR spent millions upon millions solely based on the reputation of a player's name, regardless of their fit for the squad, interest in performing, or current ability and fitness.

As always, the key is making sure you spend effectively, not so much the amount you spend. QPR absolutely failed at that.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 18 Jul 2013 18:33

Ian Royal No that's not what QPR did. QPR spent millions upon millions solely based on the reputation of a player's name, regardless of their fit for the squad, interest in performing, or current ability and fitness.

As always, the key is making sure you spend effectively, not so much the amount you spend. QPR absolutely failed at that.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 18 Jul 2013 20:21

Ian Royal No that's not what QPR did. QPR spent millions upon millions solely based on the reputation of a player's name, regardless of their fit for the squad, interest in performing, or current ability and fitness.

oxf*rd it. oxf*rd it. I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly. oxf*rd it. :shock:

Whitleyroyal

by Whitleyroyal » 19 Jul 2013 01:40

@charles_watts: @scottymac80 Yes, some bits with AZ in tomorrow's paper. Spoke to him yesterday.

In reference to transfers update.. Should make interesting reading

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jul 2013 07:37

Unless he says "we have a few options we are looking at", or something along those lines. He's also not going to come out and say "we have £x to spend on a player" as this will jack the prices up of players and its also highly unlikely he will mention any names. So while its good to hear from the owner it probably won't be much more information than the non-deluded people on here already know.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Jul 2013 07:48

Anyone listen to AZ's 'exclusive' reveal to BBCBerks that we're looking to sign new players

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 19 Jul 2013 09:02

Wasnt disagreeing with you, I actually think you make a good point. It was the bloke below you who suggested that we sign players to get us promoted and then 'go nuts'.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jul 2013 09:26

winchester_royal Anyone listen to AZ's 'exclusive' reveal to BBCBerks that we're looking to sign new players

No. Was it literally just confirmation that we're still looking?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Jul 2013 10:14

Pepe the Horseman
winchester_royal Anyone listen to AZ's 'exclusive' reveal to BBCBerks that we're looking to sign new players

No. Was it literally just confirmation that we're still looking?

No idea, just heard the headlines as I was driving and heard the newsreader lady say that he exclusively revealed that they were still looking

yappy

by yappy » 19 Jul 2013 10:26

Whitleyroyal @charles_watts: @scottymac80 Yes, some bits with AZ in tomorrow's paper. Spoke to him yesterday.

Just watched a video on GetReading, and Charles Watts says in a video there will be "interesting" news about Gary Hooper, and also speaks to AZ about the possible link with Juventus.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2013 10:54

YateleyRoyal
Wasnt disagreeing with you, I actually think you make a good point. It was the bloke below you who suggested that we sign players to get us promoted and then 'go nuts'.

What? no i didnt.. I was agreeing with him! I said we should spend some money when we are actually promoted instead of spending it now..

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jul 2013 11:02

yappy
Whitleyroyal @charles_watts: @scottymac80 Yes, some bits with AZ in tomorrow's paper. Spoke to him yesterday.

Just watched a video on GetReading, and Charles Watts says in a video there will be "interesting" news about Gary Hooper, and also speaks to AZ about the possible link with Juventus.

Will probs be the rejected bid.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 19 Jul 2013 11:03

NewCorkSeth
YateleyRoyal

What? no i didnt.. I was agreeing with him! I said we should spend some money when we are actually promoted instead of spending it now..

:|

Are you a bit special? You used the phrase 'and then go nuts' in your original post.

801 posts