2013 Summer Transfer Window

801 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window

by maffff » 19 Jul 2013 11:04

NewCorkSeth I said we should spend some money when we are actually promoted instead of spending it now..

Is it a given we will get promotion then? yay!

I'd say Bolton, Wigan, Watford, Notts Forest are all there or thereabouts compared to us, then and possibly Leicester, Ipswich*, Blackburn and Brighton aren't that far behind as well as QPR who could go either way. Leeds look to finally be building and the league always throws up a few surprises.

*possibly not if their centre back partnership next season is Khumalo and Bramble.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2013 11:11

YateleyRoyal
NewCorkSeth
:|

Are you a bit special? You used the phrase 'and then go nuts' in your original post.

My mom says im extremely special.. but by going nuts i was referring to spending 6 million on one player.. as in "If we are promoted and they want to spend 6 million on a player then go nuts!!" I am by no means an advocate of the fake hoops way!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2013 11:12

maffff
NewCorkSeth I said we should spend some money when we are actually promoted instead of spending it now..

Is it a given we will get promotion then? yay!

I'd say Bolton, Wigan, Watford, Notts Forest are all there or thereabouts compared to us, then and possibly Leicester, Ipswich*, Blackburn and Brighton aren't that far behind as well as QPR who could go either way. Leeds look to finally be building and the league always throws up a few surprises.

*possibly not if their centre back partnership next season is Khumalo and Bramble.

Optimism!

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 19 Jul 2013 20:06

Pepe the Horseman
yappy
Whitleyroyal @charles_watts: @scottymac80 Yes, some bits with AZ in tomorrow's paper. Spoke to him yesterday.

In reference to transfers update.. Should make interesting reading

Just watched a video on GetReading, and Charles Watts says in a video there will be "interesting" news about Gary Hooper, and also speaks to AZ about the possible link with Juventus.

Will probs be the rejected bid.

Or that we never made a bid. Very interesting, wow thanks

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 19 Jul 2013 23:14

I think one all round striker would complete the squad. Hooper would be nice but cant see that happening to be honest.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jul 2013 00:34

YateleyRoyal
Ian Royal No that's not what QPR did. QPR spent millions upon millions solely based on the reputation of a player's name, regardless of their fit for the squad, interest in performing, or current ability and fitness.

As always, the key is making sure you spend effectively, not so much the amount you spend. QPR absolutely failed at that.

Wasnt disagreeing with you, I actually think you make a good point. It was the bloke below you who suggested that we sign players to get us promoted and then 'go nuts'.

apologies Yaters.

I think the guy (gal) is getting a bit much stick for what (to me) clearly reads 'go nuts' as just meaning 'and then start spending some more serious money' in the hypothetical eventual promotion we're hoping to get and that our previous approach has shown we can do twice in the last 8 years. Rather than throw vast amounts of money left right and centre at everything that moves.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jul 2013 04:53

Ian Royal
I think the GUY (is it the Dakota that throws people? I googled it, totally a legitimate unisex name... Kinda masculine imo) (gal) is getting a bit much stick for what (to me) clearly reads 'go nuts' as just meaning 'and then start spending some more serious money' in the hypothetical eventual promotion we're hoping to get and that our previous approach has shown we can do twice in the last 8 years. Rather than throw vast amounts of money left right and centre at everything that moves.

Yeah i thought that was pretty clear but I shall be more distinct in the future!!! Or maybe you could just follow me around summing up my posts as well as you just did? Also anyone else have a mental picture of AZ chucking wads of cash at anyone that comes with in range?

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 20 Jul 2013 20:00

Regardless of the abuse, misinformation etc. above, our own Chairman suggested seven signings in the Transfer Window (talking about the first team), the Season starts in two weeks and any incomers need to get on track with the ethos of the Club, the way the Manager wants to play and who their team-mates are. We all know that the Window carries on alongside the start of the Season but, as other teams have shown, the sensible clubs do their business BEFORE the Season starts. We are strong in some areas and average in others and yet it is obvious that the club wish to be re-promoted at the first attempt. Currently no-one amongst our strikers are likely to worry the 'Top Scorer' top five.

One wonders why our own fans believe that the shambles Blackburn (Rhodes), the mid-table Burnley (Austin) or the Fake Hoops (possibly Hooper) are all so superier to us that we could not even speculate on those Strikers. RFC are not a small club but it seems that we have some very small fans.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Jul 2013 21:43

^TLDR

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jul 2013 00:34

Platypuss ^TLDR

what does TLDR mean?

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Jul 2013 08:09

FridaysGhost Regardless of the abuse, misinformation etc. above, our own Chairman suggested seven signings in the Transfer Window (talking about the first team), the Season starts in two weeks and any incomers need to get on track with the ethos of the Club, the way the Manager wants to play and who their team-mates are. We all know that the Window carries on alongside the start of the Season but, as other teams have shown, the sensible clubs do their business BEFORE the Season starts. We are strong in some areas and average in others and yet it is obvious that the club wish to be re-promoted at the first attempt. Currently no-one amongst our strikers are likely to worry the 'Top Scorer' top five.

One wonders why our own fans believe that the shambles Blackburn (Rhodes), the mid-table Burnley (Austin) or the Fake Hoops (possibly Hooper) are all so superier to us that we could not even speculate on those Strikers. RFC are not a small club but it seems that we have some very small fans.

As it stands we haven't shipped anyone out, the only players to have left were out of contract anyway.
We've signed five, Drenthe, Bridge, Williams, Pearce and HRK.

I fully expect one of McCarthy or Feds to go, if we get a silly offer for McCarthy, then it will be him, otherwise Feds will realise he's getting a season on the bench and will look for a way out...

We won't sign another striker until one of the others, probably Pog, leaves, and that's dependent on someone wanting him, and being willing to pay his wages. Based on his performances last season it would 't surprise me if suitors are few and far between, so we might just have to accept that we're stuck with him, and cannot sign another high value/salaried striker....

Unless, of course we do get a sill offer for McCarthy, but then we'll get the usual moaners complaining about selling him.....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Jul 2013 09:34

I think people would be entitled to moan a bit really - McCarthy is our best goalkeeper, sell him and we're not as strong at the back, so buying in some expensive striker isn't going to help that is it? Though, if it's McCarthy that goes, then it may mean we don't sell Pog and we won't need a further striker....so what do we do? Buy another goalie?? Might as well keep McCarthy - if Adkins/AZ have effectively communicated their vision to the squad, no-one should be wanting to leave this season - I will, however, totally understand it if we don't get promotion at end of season and a few want away to better themselves in the Prem.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Jul 2013 09:36

FridaysGhost Regardless of the abuse, misinformation etc. above, our own Chairman suggested seven signings in the Transfer Window (talking about the first team), the Season starts in two weeks and any incomers need to get on track with the ethos of the Club, the way the Manager wants to play and who their team-mates are. We all know that the Window carries on alongside the start of the Season but, as other teams have shown, the sensible clubs do their business BEFORE the Season starts. We are strong in some areas and average in others and yet it is obvious that the club wish to be re-promoted at the first attempt. Currently no-one amongst our strikers are likely to worry the 'Top Scorer' top five.

On the contrary, I think ALF will shine in the Championship as, in the nicest possible way, it's more his level. Pog would tear up the Championship if he's given good support - which I think, this season, he will. If we get promotion, this then allows us to buy in more expensive "Premier league ready" strikers. IMO.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jul 2013 09:55

Royal Lady On the contrary, I think ALF will shine in the Championship as, in the nicest possible way, it's more his level. Pog would tear up the Championship if he's given good support - which I think, this season, he will. If we get promotion, this then allows us to buy in more expensive "Premier league ready" strikers. IMO.

Yeah I think I agree with you! Another season in the championship may help Alfie flourish as a goal scorer! If his impact against premier league defenders was that good i can only imagine his impact against much weaker defenders will be spectacular!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jul 2013 11:22

ALF's just one of those players who does the same thing at whatever level they are at, and by the nature of it - finding space, finishing well - he'll get goals if he's in a team playing reasonably well. Regardless of whether it's Champions League or Non-League.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jul 2013 14:11

Looks like Karl Oliyide who we released has gone on to join Leiknir Reykjavik - http://www.leiknir.com/karl-oliyide-i-leikni/

Ben Jefford joined Port Vale

Angus MacDonald had a trial at Yeovil but not been kept on

Nicky Shorey has had his trial at Millwall extended after he was on trial with Brighton but the new manager wanted a different LB [I think another spanish guy] in.

Charlie Lossaso is on trial at Bournemouth, scored two in one of their friendlies.

Josh Shama has joined Oxford United. Bismark Amofah had a trial there too but it looks like he hasn't been kept on.

Josh Webb has been on trial at Aldershot, apparently looked poor.

Nicholas Bignall was never heard of again.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 Jul 2013 14:32

Shorey had a deal agreed with Poyet. This was agreed as the season came to an end, so he knew we weren't keeping him on - (re: Aldo). The new guy as maffff says clearly wanted someone different in. Wages will be interesting though, as they had a decent player lined up (can't recall who now) and they had to walk away because he wanted a 5 figure wage..

Cypry

by Cypry » 21 Jul 2013 16:03

Royal Lady I think people would be entitled to moan a bit really - McCarthy is our best goalkeeper, sell him and we're not as strong at the back, so buying in some expensive striker isn't going to help that is it? Though, if it's McCarthy that goes, then it may mean we don't sell Pog and we won't need a further striker....so what do we do? Buy another goalie?? Might as well keep McCarthy - if Adkins/AZ have effectively communicated their vision to the squad, no-one should be wanting to leave this season - I will, however, totally understand it if we don't get promotion at end of season and a few want away to better themselves in the Prem.

You miss my point though, so much so you're pretty much agreeing with me - all I keep seeing on here is "we need an expensive striker". My point is that we won't see that unless we get rid of a player (and I don't mean shipping Leigertwood out for a few hundred grand).

As far as I can see the only two players who could currently free up enough cash to significantly break our transfer record would be Pog, or McCarthy. Pog hasn't exactly done much to attract the attention it might need to move him on, so if we really need a marquee striker, then it might have to be McCarthy that goes....

Having said that, if a top team came in and made a silly offer for McCarthy (>£8M would be a good starting point), then I wouldn't feel uncomfortable with the proven Championship keeper in Feds, backed up by Taylor and Henley...

Personally I'd be quite happy to keep both and not bring anyone in - we are more than likely going to play one "classic" striker with three attacking midfield players sat in behind him, and with ALF, Pog and Blackman (with Roberts possibly later in the season), plus, in an emergency, Samuel and HRK, we have 3/4 (up to 6) players fighting for one starting place...

All I was pointing out is that those screaming for another striker might need to be careful what they wish for as it could be at the cost of letting McCarthy go.....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Jul 2013 09:33

Hooper didn't travel with Celtic to Brentford, unsurprisingly, but when Lennon was asked if Hooper was joining Reading, he didn't outright say no... :wink: Which clearly means he is going to QPR.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Jul 2013 10:16

or Norwich, or Hull, or Southampton or....

801 posts