Speculation - Etien Velikonja

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Speculation - Etien Velikonja

by Royal Ginger » 31 Jul 2013 00:28

blythspartan Could this mean Pog going the other way to Cardiff?

No. He'll go to Russia.

RedRum

by RedRum » 31 Jul 2013 01:01

Why do we need a big tall target man? We're not playing hoofball anymore.
Depending on how we're playing, we'll either need someone strong to hold the ball up, or someone who is willing to make runs into channels/ off the shoulder of defenders. Hooper is only about 5'10 too and some of you were pleading with rfc to buy him

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 31 Jul 2013 01:12

I still believe that we need Jason Roberts cerca January 2011. Best immediate impact signing in recent years in my opinion.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 31 Jul 2013 01:24

Royal Ginger I still believe that we need Jason Roberts cerca January 2012. Best immediate impact signing in recent years in my opinion.

(Corrected)

But yes, I agree.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Jul 2013 02:02

I like this, financially smart and get a guy with plenty of potential and European pedigree. Hope it's true.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 Jul 2013 07:33

Ian Royal No offence, but I hardly think we'll be focusing out striker replacement policy for Pogrebnyak solely on height. :roll:

You say that but I heard we've enquired about Sultan Kösen...

Anyway, height isn't always beneficial, shorter players are often better in the air as they have to jump / challenge in the air from a younger age when taller guys have the ball come to them. A striker in the mould of Shane Long in form, running channels and challenging (Hunt being an excellent example of a guy doing better in the air than he looks. Add that to someone that can hold the ball up, bring others into play and create then we have what Pogrebnyak was meant to do.

The main advantage with taller guys is their strength from having a bigger frame.

He's shit in the air and a 4-4-2 striker but Roberts is the closest we have to that style of play atm. We have poachers / goalscorers but without supply or ability to create they're rendered useless.

It's looked to me like we have tried to mould ALF into what we did Shane Long, but his natural ability and style aren't set up for that. Our plan B has been unleashing him to do his thing.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 31 Jul 2013 08:07

maffff
Ian Royal No offence, but I hardly think we'll be focusing out striker replacement policy for Pogrebnyak solely on height. :roll:

Anyway, height isn't always beneficial, shorter players are often better in the air as they have to jump / challenge in the air from a younger age when taller guys have the ball come to them. A striker in the mould of Shane Long in form, running channels and challenging (Hunt being an excellent example of a guy doing better in the air than he looks. Add that to someone that can hold the ball up, bring others into play and create then we have what Pogrebnyak was meant to do.

The main advantage with taller guys is their strength from having a bigger frame.

He's shit in the air and a 4-4-2 striker but Roberts is the closest we have to that style of play atm. We have poachers / goalscorers but without supply or ability to create they're rendered useless.

It's looked to me like we have tried to mould ALF into what we did Shane Long, but his natural ability and style aren't set up for that. Our plan B has been unleashing him to do his thing.

I heard we are after Keyser Soze. Excellent at ghosting in and getting the job done without anyone noticing him, or even being sure what he looked like. :D

NeilD

by NeilD » 31 Jul 2013 09:11

Elm Park Pasty
maffff

I heard we are after Keyser Soze. Excellent at ghosting in and getting the job done without anyone noticing him, or even being sure what he looked like. :D

I also heard that if he loses a game, he not only kills the opposition's players but their wives and kids as well :o

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 31 Jul 2013 09:14

NeilD
Elm Park Pasty
maffff You say that but I heard we've enquired about Sultan Kösen...

I also heard that if he loses a game, he not only kills the opposition's players but their wives and kids as well :o

Excellent. Superb at motivating the players around him, while spreading dread among the opposition. He truly is deadly in the box.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 31 Jul 2013 10:18

maffff A striker in the mould of Shane Long in form, running channels and challenging (Hunt being an excellent example of a guy doing better in the air than he looks. Add that to someone that can hold the ball up, bring others into play and create then we have what Pogrebnyak was meant to do.

This.

Provided he has a good turn of pace and good energy levels, at 5'10 he would still offer more of a physical presence than ALF in the loan forward role. We need someone mobile that can hold the ball up to bring others into play. You don't need to be 6ft+ to do that.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 31 Jul 2013 10:37

Elm Park Pasty
maffff

No he's got a crippled foot :wink:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Jul 2013 10:59

This is in today's Sun, must be a goer!!

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 31 Jul 2013 11:08

Charles Watts just tweeted that this isn't happening. He is available but Reading FC have not enquired. Given past experience that could mean anything.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 Jul 2013 11:29

Apparently Malky has confirmed it from the other end.

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 31 Jul 2013 11:33

confirmed it is happening or it isn't ?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 Jul 2013 11:36

Harrydog confirmed it is happening or it isn't ?

What Charles Watts said. Not happening.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Jul 2013 11:36

Booooo.

RedRum

by RedRum » 31 Jul 2013 11:40

LOL at twitter rumour mongs. Again.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 31 Jul 2013 11:54

Makes sense. NA wants a target man first and foremost. Velikonja isn't that, and you could argue Samuel and Ugwu should be given a chance rather than bring in a fringe player from Cardiff, no matter what his previous pedigree.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 31 Jul 2013 12:01

SPARTA Makes sense. NA wants a target man first and foremost. Velikonja isn't that, and you could argue Samuel and Ugwu should be given a chance rather than bring in a fringe player from Cardiff, no matter what his previous pedigree.

That makes sense the way NH was talking about the emphasis on youth earlier.