224 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rumour - Charlie Austin

by Royal Rother » 31 Jul 2013 17:16

NewCorkSeth
Royal Rother
Argue with stats all you want, there's always room for dispute etc. but for the team to finish 1 off the bottom to have the highest conversion rate is fairly amazing I'd have thought.

Is that true? well fcuk-a-dcuk that is interesting.. and goes with much of my estimations of our team last season!

Yep.

Only got a minute, but not sure this is the full table to end of season but it gives the data...

I'm sure if you Google "Reading conversion rate chances to goals" or some such you'll be able to find other versions and the full season end chart.

http://www.eplindex.com/27890/how-well- ... rison.html

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 31 Jul 2013 17:34

Royal Rother
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Mike Hunt I know that he goes OTT, but he does have a point.

- Pog does not want to be in the Championship. So even if he stays, will he be like Shorey in 07/08?
- Le Fondre has hardly pulled up any trees when starting, even in the Championship in 11/12. And it looks like he cannot play up front on his own.
- Roberts is injured, and needed to exercise in that zero gravity runner a few weeks back. He may not be fit until Christmas, and then he has to get back up to speed. And then - he is 2 years older than when he came in and took the Championship by storm. Will he still have it?
- Blackman - Lets be honest - he has not showed us much since joining. But Adkins must see something in him to keep playing him, so I will reserve judgement until he has had ample opportunity.

This leaves the younglings. I would like to hope Samuel can come on, but it may be a season too early.

In conclusion, I whilst I do agree with FG's sentiments, I feel that he takes it too far. And I feel that It is all well and good saying that we must get Rhodes or Austin or Hooper, but in reality - it is never going to happen.

+1

Except I suppose if Pog wants out so badly he realises the only way to do that is to really shine.

We're looking quite toothless. I envisage excellent possession play, with disappointment after disappointment in the final third. A frustrating season unless we gt someone or the strikers come good !

Again, and it was YOU I responded to last time with this (on the Hooper thread a month or more ago), so why you no risten...? :D

Last season we had the highest percentage of all teams in the PL for Clear Cut Chances converted to Goals.

And we came 4th in the table for all Chances to Goals.

The problem was not converting chances - it was creating them!!!

Argue with stats all you want, there's always room for dispute etc. but for the team to finish 1 off the bottom to have the highest conversion rate is fairly amazing I'd have thought.

Kind of goes a way towards vindicating what a lot of us thought on here, that given good service we would have scored more. I am a bit nervous that we are seeing the makings of the same again, albeit with more possession this time. You do get the feeling that it's the 'Teddy Sheringham' type player we are missing (whether it be a striker or midfielder), chips in with around a dozen goals while making things happen for those about them.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 01 Aug 2013 11:01

looks like QPR unless the deal gets hijacked.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Aug 2013 12:45

Can you imagine if this deal was hijacked too? I think 'Arry would actually lose it.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 01 Aug 2013 13:26

Unfortunately not

Whitleyroyal

by Whitleyroyal » 01 Aug 2013 13:31

Signed for QPR

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 01 Aug 2013 13:45

Whitleyroyal Signed for QPR

Cue the Billy Sharp thread.......

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 01 Aug 2013 13:46

Disliked him before, dislike him even more now. Hope hes career goes down the pan.

He was never going to sign for Reading, he doesnt like the club for getting rid of him early

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Aug 2013 13:46

tee peg

Cue Billy Sharp signing for Forest

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 01 Aug 2013 13:51

tee peg

Cue the Ricky Lambert thread.......

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Aug 2013 14:10

tee peg
tee peg

Cue the Ricky Lambert thread.......

Is he off to QPR too?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 01 Aug 2013 14:26

Christ. Another target missed. We are running out of options! Or is Hammond about to slash the cash on a CF who plays for Eastbourne utd who scored 11 goals last season but has great potential!!!!! Cant continue to live off the Doyle and Long signings.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 01 Aug 2013 14:27

paddy20 Christ. Another target missed.

Missed? Assuming we were in for him...

paulholsgrove83

by paulholsgrove83 » 01 Aug 2013 14:37

So QPR have Zamora,Austin,Remy and Johnson :shock:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 Aug 2013 14:38

Remy won't be playing for them this season.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 01 Aug 2013 14:49

Pepe the Horseman Remy won't be playing for them this season.

Ironically, given the chatter about this supposed injury that foiled his Hull move, I would expect Austin to play the most games out of those four names if recent experience is anything to go by.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Aug 2013 14:59

Good luck to him, he will get them goals, can see him getting an injury to go with it!!

I don't think he is the sort of striker we need, prefer Alf

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Aug 2013 15:02

Thats the title for QPR won then

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Aug 2013 15:15

Royal Rother
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Mike Hunt I know that he goes OTT, but he does have a point.

- Pog does not want to be in the Championship. So even if he stays, will he be like Shorey in 07/08?
- Le Fondre has hardly pulled up any trees when starting, even in the Championship in 11/12. And it looks like he cannot play up front on his own.
- Roberts is injured, and needed to exercise in that zero gravity runner a few weeks back. He may not be fit until Christmas, and then he has to get back up to speed. And then - he is 2 years older than when he came in and took the Championship by storm. Will he still have it?
- Blackman - Lets be honest - he has not showed us much since joining. But Adkins must see something in him to keep playing him, so I will reserve judgement until he has had ample opportunity.

This leaves the younglings. I would like to hope Samuel can come on, but it may be a season too early.

In conclusion, I whilst I do agree with FG's sentiments, I feel that he takes it too far. And I feel that It is all well and good saying that we must get Rhodes or Austin or Hooper, but in reality - it is never going to happen.

+1

Except I suppose if Pog wants out so badly he realises the only way to do that is to really shine.

We're looking quite toothless. I envisage excellent possession play, with disappointment after disappointment in the final third. A frustrating season unless we gt someone or the strikers come good !

Again, and it was YOU I responded to last time with this (on the Hooper thread a month or more ago), so why you no risten...? :D

Last season we had the highest percentage of all teams in the PL for Clear Cut Chances converted to Goals.

And we came 4th in the table for all Chances to Goals.

The problem was not converting chances - it was creating them!!!

That's fair enough but what does it have to do with what I say about Pog :| I was just countering the assertion that he wouldn't be interested in the Champ so I was saying I think he may well be if only to escape it. The assumption therefore is that he HAS the ability, but all it requires is him being bothered. I hope he does come good and so hope you're right, and stats or not I started a thread last season suggesting he was a phenomenal finisher so I'm definitely with you there.

As it happens though, to take you up on that point for the sake of good HNA discussion only, to me strikers aren't about sitting around and converting "clear cut chances" whatever those are deemed to be, it's about getting into positions to help create them, their whole game, converting NON clear cut chances etc etc etc. Any old fool can take a punt at a clear cut chance but how about getting into the positions in the first place? Just look at what Roberts did single handedly when he joined. It's quite probable that Pog's goal:clear cut chance ratio is better than Roberts' but Roberts changed us with the way we played and completely changed our fortunes with the half cut chances he created and put away etc etc... despite having the same service.

When as a striker you have to focus in on an obscure stat like that to defend you it's a little worrying!!!

But overall I potentially agree with you hence my post: in the championship chances are he'll do more generally in his game and more chances will be created anyway.

So overall we have to hope that a) he is bothered and b) he ups his game from a clear cut finisher to a half decent all round striker. Both together are a big ask I reckon but even if he does pull it off, we can't go round expecting him to be injury/suspension free all season and so we DEFINITELY need to bring in a striker. It's an absolute no brainer.

paulholsgrove83

by paulholsgrove83 » 01 Aug 2013 15:17

Austin is a Grade A Arsehole

224 posts