RUMOUR - Danny Guthrie to Norwich

1871 not 1998

Re: RUMOUR - Danny Guthrie to Norwich

by 1871 not 1998 » 16 Jan 2014 17:58

This squad will have a massive face-lift before Adkins is happy with it, and Guthrie as one of the biggest earners is likely to go in the next two windows in my opinion. The only way I'd be happy with him going in this window is if Adkins gets to bring in a replacement, and I'm not full of confidence he'll get to do that.

1871 not 1998

by 1871 not 1998 » 16 Jan 2014 18:07

ok.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 16 Jan 2014 18:48

RoyalBlue One group on this thread know what playing decent football, particularly at the highest levels, is all about. The other clearly don't!

Some live in the footballing 21st Century, the others live in the dark ages.

As for the successful reinvestment of funds received - was the sale of Sig really an example of that working well? :shock:

Which group are you in?

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 16 Jan 2014 18:50

SPARTA Obviously he can pass the ball better than anyone in the team.

Hmm ... not sure about that recently.

SPARTA he slows things down too much and the moment passes us by.

Agree

At the beginning of the season I thought he was immense and his performance and work rate excellent, but since about October time he seems to have gone right off the boil. Also, as you say, our last two wins have been without him...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Jan 2014 19:10

RoyalBlue One group on this thread know what playing decent football, particularly at the highest levels, is all about. The other clearly don't!

As for the successful reinvestment of funds received - was the sale of Sig really an example of that working well? :shock:

You're confusing the Premier League with the likes of La Liga and the Bundesliga. You do not have to be a great passing side in this country, the game is played at 100mph and requires very little technical skill. Sure players with technical ability come here to earn a big payday but they rarely stay long term. You are living in a dream world if you want to see that in this country.

They live in the footballing 21st century in those countries and I personally love watching them play. I and others are realistic enough to know that we are unable to play it to a great effect over here.

We did have some success from reinvesting the money from the Sigurdsson sale so yes it did, at least in the short term, work quite well.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2014 20:50

sandman

You're confusing the Premier League with the likes of La Liga and the Bundesliga. You do not have to be a great passing side in this country, the game is played at 100mph and requires very little technical skill. Sure players with technical ability come here to earn a big payday but they rarely stay long term. You are living in a dream world if you want to see that in this country.

They live in the footballing 21st century in those countries and I personally love watching them play. I and others are realistic enough to know that we are unable to play it to a great effect over here.

We did have some success from reinvesting the money from the Sigurdsson sale so yes it did, at least in the short term, work quite well.

Sandman, there are not just two black and white extremes of playing football. No one wants us to try to play like Barcelona. We'd just like to be able to retain possession better and not be solely reliant on working the channels to create. Go and put your strawman back in your field to scare the crows away.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 16 Jan 2014 23:57

Elm Park Old Boy

Well, we did get to the play-off final within 9 months, and won the Championship a year later.

Yes but apart from it leading to us going on an incredibly successful 2 year run, what else did it do for us?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Jan 2014 07:56

What has the Sig money ever done for us?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 17 Jan 2014 09:11

I would suggest the next time Guthrie plays keep an eye on what he does. I have done this for the last 3 home games and was surprised at how little he offered. I was a fan of his but I think he as they say he ' flatters to deceive'. He passes back a lot to the centre halves. He passes sideways. He does about 3 long passes to the wings. He passes twice into the front players but either they or he are not on the same wavelength. He loses his marker on a number of occasions. He rarely tackles. He has less than one shot on goal per game. He looks comfortable when in possession. He slows the game down when in possession.

I thought it would be interesting to see how the team plays without him. Q.E.D

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Jan 2014 09:58

paddy20 I would suggest the next time Guthrie plays keep an eye on what he does. I have done this for the last 3 home games and was surprised at how little he offered. I was a fan of his but I think he as they say he ' flatters to deceive'. He passes back a lot to the centre halves. He passes sideways. He does about 3 long passes to the wings. He passes twice into the front players but either they or he are not on the same wavelength. He loses his marker on a number of occasions. He rarely tackles. He has less than one shot on goal per game. He looks comfortable when in possession. He slows the game down when in possession.

You missed out the pirouettes that he performs with such great style as well......

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 17 Jan 2014 10:05

Apparently he was going to go, but at the last minute he refused to get on the coach.

I'm here all week.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Jan 2014 10:05

BraisingsteakRoyal Apparently he was going to go, but at the last minute he refused to get on the coach.

I'm here all week.

Luckily for us it is Friday.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Jan 2014 10:30

Are there actually any players that EVERYONE likes at the club?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Jan 2014 10:36

paddy20 I would suggest the next time Guthrie plays keep an eye on what he does. I have done this for the last 3 home games and was surprised at how little he offered. I was a fan of his but I think he as they say he ' flatters to deceive'. He passes back a lot to the centre halves. He passes sideways. He does about 3 long passes to the wings. He passes twice into the front players but either they or he are not on the same wavelength. He loses his marker on a number of occasions. He rarely tackles. He has less than one shot on goal per game. He looks comfortable when in possession. He slows the game down when in possession.

Does he wave his arms about a lot, because if he does, his obvious successor is currently on trial at Portsmouth.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 17 Jan 2014 10:43

Terminal Boardom Are there actually any players that EVERYONE likes at the club?

Not sure anyone would dislike;

Alex Macarthy

Jordan Obita

Wayne Bridge

UMM.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 17 Jan 2014 11:21

paddy20
Terminal Boardom Are there actually any players that EVERYONE likes at the club?

Not sure anyone would dislike;

Alex Macarthy

Jordan Obita

Wayne Bridge

UMM.

I am not even sure about the first two. Alex MacCarthy has his detractors because of his poor distribution especially when compared with Fed's. Jordan Obita was criticised a lot until his performance at Watford.

That seems to leave just Wayne Bridge who hasn't even played for weeks.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 17 Jan 2014 11:23

Jobi?

Pog?

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 17 Jan 2014 11:34

Ledge? Everyone loves Ledge…don't they?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Jan 2014 11:49

Guthrie is a true footballer of the modern era. His shocking passing and almost slow motion play goes completely completely unnoticed by young folk who are much more wowed by his haircut, tattoos and (probably) tweets/facebooking

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 17 Jan 2014 11:53

soggy biscuit Guthrie is a true footballer of the modern era. His shocking passing and almost slow motion play goes completely completely unnoticed by young folk who are much more wowed by his haircut, tattoos and (probably) tweets/facebooking

That made me laugh.

Which is unusual on here.